facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Anybody ever install tapered steering bearing kit on a DT2?

• Bartman512
  • Bartman512's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Just wondering what all is involved, as the frame Im restoring had loose steering bearings and Im pretty sure the bearing races are prolly a little out of round. I did one on a Z50 yrs ago and it worked great.
31 Dec 2020 11:09 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Yes " i found the new tapered bearings too deep, i put a tapered on the bottom ,and new balls and race in the top, Then could fit the nut on,,,,
If you aint mixin gas " you aint haulin Ass
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, nhsteve
31 Dec 2020 11:37 #2

• Gr8uncleal
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Me? I'd stick to originals. All races are still available from Yamaha and good quality ball bearings can be picked up from bicycle shops.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, Pedalcrazy
31 Dec 2020 12:33 #3

I have installed them on other Yamaha enduros, but not a DT2. Knock out the old ones and use the originals to pound in the new ones, being careful not to damage the new bearing surfaces. Pack the new bearing with grease. One advantage is you don't have to count the little bearings or chase them around the floor.

Almost every time I have replaced ball bearing type steering stem bearings with tapered ones the top and bottom triple trees are about an extra 1/8 to 3/16th inch apart. If you don't have extra space on the steering stem nuts then you might not want to use tapered rollers, like others have mentioned. I have added an additional o ring or rubber washers around the fork tubes on top of or below the headlight mounting ears to compensate for the extra distance between the top and bottom triple trees.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: nhsteve
31 Dec 2020 16:46 #4

My experience is the same as JayB's. Tapered rollers will probably firm up the front end a bit, and may also wind up a bit cheaper than the standard cup and cone type.

I think "you pays yer money and makes yer choice".
01 Jan 2021 09:59 #5

• Bartman512
  • Bartman512's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
I'm pretty sure the cones in my frame are welded in there, at least they appear to be
02 Jan 2021 10:07 #6

• Gr8uncleal
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Post some photos if you can and the chaps here will comment on that! :likey They'd have to be welded from inside the headstock......? :Coffee
02 Jan 2021 11:00 #7

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart