×
Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)
Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.
Makotosun
DT1C non -standard exhaust
- MarkT
-
- Offline
- Site Supporter
-
- Posts: 14949
- Likes received: 11273
Replied by MarkT on topic DT1C non -standard exhaust
There were literally dozens of companies making inexpensive "look alike" pipes in the 1970's. I bought one for something like $15 new at the Yamaha dealer that looked like the "Torque" brand but was a knock off.
I was just a kid, the owner of the dealership showed me both and said the cheap one worked just as good as the Torque for a lot less. I didn't realize at the time that the dealership owner, Mike Patrick, was a racing legend and helped develop the DT1. He was just an all-around good guy who on that day saved a kid from blowing all his savings and birthday money on a more expensive pipe.
If I remember correctly, the "knock off" pipe was virtually identical, biggest difference was the heat shield shape was slightly different.
I was just a kid, the owner of the dealership showed me both and said the cheap one worked just as good as the Torque for a lot less. I didn't realize at the time that the dealership owner, Mike Patrick, was a racing legend and helped develop the DT1. He was just an all-around good guy who on that day saved a kid from blowing all his savings and birthday money on a more expensive pipe.
If I remember correctly, the "knock off" pipe was virtually identical, biggest difference was the heat shield shape was slightly different.
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: JayB, Schu, Ht1kid
29 Sep 2026 09:46
#11
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- lostmybearing
-
Topic Author
- Offline
- Site Supporter
-
- Posts: 17
- Likes received: 2
Replied by lostmybearing on topic DT1C non -standard exhaust
Somebody posted a picture of a JC Whitney catalogue in one of the Facebook Yamaha groups. This pipe is a dead ringer for the one in the illustration. I’m starting to think that it is a JC Whitney pipe. I wonder who made them ?
1970 Yamaha DT-1C
1973 Yamaha CT-3
1974 Yamaha DT250A
1975 Yamaha DT250B
1979 Yamaha IT175F
1973 Yamaha CT-3
1974 Yamaha DT250A
1975 Yamaha DT250B
1979 Yamaha IT175F
29 Sep 2026 10:52
#12
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- Enduronut
-
- Offline
- Founder Moderator
-
- Posts: 852
- Likes received: 1231
Replied by Enduronut on topic DT1C non -standard exhaust
I haven't posted in a few years, as I left to help start another site ... but I see you can use some help on this one > > > It's a "Bob Bailey" pipe.
Happy trails, Dave / Enduronut
Happy trails, Dave / Enduronut
Control your thoughts . . . or your thoughts will control you!.!
Don't aim . . . and you'll hit your target every time!
A wise man knows . . . he isn't!
Failure squared . . . equals success!
Don't aim . . . and you'll hit your target every time!
A wise man knows . . . he isn't!
Failure squared . . . equals success!
The following user(s) Liked this Post: swm, Swoop56, JayB, pabdt, Gr8uncleal, Schu, Ht1kid, Pete-RT1
01 Oct 2026 11:22
#13
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Moderators: yamadmin, Makotosun, DEET, Vinnie, James Hart
