facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

How to Remove 2nd Gear?

• landyr67g
  • landyr67g's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Replied by landyr67g on topic How to Remove 2nd Gear?

OK RT, Turns out you were right!  No circlip.  The 5th gear clearance (large gear next to the tiny pressed-on 2nd gear) is simply located by press work.  To remove 2nd gear I was able to get in with a small scale bearing separator and then pulled it off.  But it was tight - creaked and popped about 10 times before freedom.  And in pulling off using the separator, I did unfortunately, just barely, "broach" the 5th gear journal so will be getting another main shaft after all.  To rebuild, I will press back 2nd gear to a shimmed dim - approx 2-3 mil (5mil  didn't fit).
Regards  Joe
17 May 2022 08:00 #21

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• landyr67g
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

That particular ebay shaft looks like it was dipped in acid to clean it up.  What do you guys think?
Joe
17 May 2022 08:12 #22

Replied by Ht1kid on topic How to Remove 2nd Gear?

Looks like is was vapor blasted
17 May 2022 14:19 #23

Replied by RT325 on topic How to Remove 2nd Gear?

That's good. Thought i had it right but ya had me doubting haha. You say--if i'm understanding--you'll press up to 2-3 mm. Is that clearance between big gear & pressed on gear. The more end clearance you have the less dog engagement the sliding gear will have if it tries to push the gear away sideways. Good dogs & dog slots & doubt it'd matter. Too much clearance [gear not on far enough] & shaft end clearance to the bearing in the left case might be a problem. Very much doubt it'd ever get to that though--just in theory. I had a mates quad YTM225 or 250 with the same pressed gear & it moved sideways & spun so stopped driving. Nightmare, hate working on those. Had a warranty claim on an almost new yamy v90 scoots in the "70's where that gear let go. You'd think they could come up with a better plan--like a normal spline & circlip.
17 May 2022 16:43 #24

• landyr67g
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Well the 2nd gear was definitely an interference fit.  Curious about mfg tolerances on old and replacement parts.  Also regarding when I said I accidentally "broached" my main shaft journal next to the spline (where 5th gear spins), it's not the case.  Shaft was made that way...guessing by mistake. Attached is pic of mine where sublte broach marks show in line with the splined broach.  Some NOS shafts on ebay are much worse...maybe original parts rejects? There is no good reason for all this but I will reuse my shaft...assuming the diameter is still good.  
The following user(s) Liked this Post: RT325
17 May 2022 17:31 #25

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart