facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Anyone have hard to find 1969 AT1E parts?

• whs386
  • whs386's Avatar Topic Author
Hi everyone, 

My 1969 AT1E came with some non-original parts, and I'm looking to restore back to original as best I can.  Its a runner now, so on to the cosmetic stuff.  I know many of the parts I'm looking for are expensive or hard to find, but I figured I'd ask here.  I'm also always looking on EBay, Partzilla, CMSNL.

1.  Electric start button/right handlebar control (would love original but that's a unicorn I bet, any cheap alternatives?  Looks to be a push button that sends a ground signal to the solenoid).
2. Left handlebar control switch
3.  Headlight bucket (Have seen a few on Ebay)
4.  Gas and oil tank (Have seen a few on Ebay.  I'm going to get some reproduction badges after)
5.  Exhaust (one on EBay, going for $80 shipped.  Is this the going rate?)
6.  Tool box (These are on EBay, but many are in poor condition)
7. Front brake light switch
8.  Front Fender (some NOS are like $600+...)
9.  Speedo/tach (I think my tach is from the wrong year, see attached photo)

side note:  if going to rebuild engine and assuming no major damage to existing parts, what would you recommend replacing besides crank seals, bearings, etc?

Send me a message if anything is laying around!
25 Mar 2021 11:47 #1

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Mothersbaugh on topic Anyone have hard to find 1969 AT1E parts?

1.  Electric start button/right handlebar control (would love original but that's a unicorn I bet, any cheap alternatives?  Looks to be a push button that sends a ground signal to the solenoid).
Try bikeboneyard.com/ for 'chassis' parts no longer produced by Yamaha.

2. Left handlebar control switch
3.  Headlight bucket (Have seen a few on Ebay)
4.  Gas and oil tank (Have seen a few on Ebay.  I'm going to get some reproduction badges after)
Any of these parts were used on several models and years of bikes. For example, a gas tank from a 69 AT-1E wouldbe the same as one from a 70 or 71 AT, or also a 69-71 CT. Go to partzilla.com, find your bike, and then in the parts list, click on the Yamaha part number, and a new screen will appear with a list of all the bikes on which Yamaha used that part.

5.  Exhaust (one on EBay, going for $80 shipped.  Is this the going rate?)
That's rather cheap. But...is it really for a 69 AT/CT? the method of attachment changed at some point. Beware the ebay listings that say, fits AT/CT, as guys will put that on a piston or a head when clearly a 125 and 175 don't use the same piston.
6.  Tool box (These are on EBay, but many are in poor condition)
Get out the evaporust, sand and prime it, and paint it. Remember: these bikes are now 45+ years old.
7. Front brake light switch
8.  Front Fender (some NOS are like $600+...)
Made now from unobtanium, no doubt.

9.  Speedo/tach (I think my tach is from the wrong year, see attached photo)
Looks like the original on my CT-2, a 1972.

side note:  if going to rebuild engine and assuming no major damage to existing parts, what would you recommend replacing besides crank seals, bearings, etc?
Transmission bearings and seals as well, maybe clutch plates/discs, and brake shoes.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: whs386
25 Mar 2021 21:28 #2

Replied by MarkT on topic Anyone have hard to find 1969 AT1E parts?

On the exhaust, $80 shipped is rather cheap if it has the insert.  Pretty sure mount was the same from 69-71 AT/CT

If pipe doesn't have the insert, might be hard to find an original.. and expensive.  Best is usually to get a complete pipe.  I have a few pipes without inserts...  you can have one for $10 + shipping if you want one.

Check with DEET on the switches...  pretty sure he has new front brake switches with the correct silver sleeving.  Headlight and starter button might be something he has availble used/refurbished too.

I should have some of the other stuff like tanks but would need to be stripped, cleaned, and painted.  No front fenders for sure.  Headlight bucket for sure and maybe a tool box.  If you have a picture of tach you need I can look. 

But it will probably be a week or two before I can look.  Prices will be cheap but parts will need cleaning/prep/paint
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
25 Mar 2021 21:47 #3

Replied by 9gingers on topic Anyone have hard to find 1969 AT1E parts?

Where are you located?
27 Mar 2021 08:51 #4

• whs386

Replied by whs386 on topic Anyone have hard to find 1969 AT1E parts?

I'm in Rochester NY (upstate). 

Thanks everyone. I contacted bikeboneyard and it looks like he may have most of what I need. Waiting to hear back. 

I also forgot to mention I'm searching for chain guard, seat, and front brake lever too, haven't done a thorough search. 

I'll contact DEET for the switches if boneyard doesn't have them. 

Thanks for the offers, Mark, for exhaust. $10 sounds like a steal! How hard is it to get a compatible silencer/baffle?
27 Mar 2021 10:47 #5

• whs386

Replied by whs386 on topic Anyone have hard to find 1969 AT1E parts?

Thanks markt! I'm really interested in a compatible gas tank, oil tank, and headlight bucket/ears. Anything from 69-71 I think works. I know they will need work, I'll be painting them (the best I can from advice in the forum) to the original pearl white (heard there is a Colorite Ford platinum pearl that is similar). 

I've attached a photo of the gauges I'm looking for as well. 

DEET came through with a starter button and front brake switch. 

This image is hidden for guests.

thanks everyone !

13 Apr 2021 09:24 #6

This message has an attachment image.

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart