facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Wire Routing Info Needed !

• rkutzner
  • rkutzner's Avatar Topic Author

Wire Routing Info Needed ! was created by rkutzner

I have a 69 L5T bought with all of it's wires hanging out of the battery box area. It doesn't seem to me that the 5 wires that go to the generator can come out there since the cover seals that area under the seat off. How do those wires route that go to the generator under the cover on the left side? And the rear brake switch and wires, how do those route and how does the switch route? Basically, if anyone can take a picture of the rear brake switch and wear the wires on the left come out of the frame and enter behind the left case I would appreciate it !

Rich
06 May 2020 15:05 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic Wire Routing Info Needed !

Morning from the UK Rich!

If no-one comes back with the specific photos you've asked for, do an images search on the internet and you might come across what you need.
07 May 2020 00:06 #2

• rkutzner

Replied by rkutzner on topic Wire Routing Info Needed !

Yeah, I've done that and zoomed in on a million pictures but just can't find it. It's the one thing the service manual doesn't seem to have either ! I THINK it goes down through the frame and out on top of the motor but the only access behind the left cover is over by the sprocket. Doesn't seem the right place to have wiring.....but I could be wrong. And is that little wire off the top of the case the neutral safety switch wire ?

A picture of where the block off plate is supposed to go would help too !

If it's easier, anyone can send the pics directly to my email (This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.).

Rich
Last edit: 07 May 2020 04:00 by rkutzner. Reason: Thought of better question
07 May 2020 03:44 #3

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Replied by mdscott on topic Wire Routing Info Needed !

I see, the wire loom goes inside the frame, and comes out near the front sprocket. this is my YG5T. its the same.

Thanks Mark
Roseville, Ca.

'03 ST1300
'75 Norton
'73 CB500K
'81 Honda CT110
'87 PW50
'64 McClane Edger
'02 Honda XR70R
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT
08 May 2020 16:17 #4

This message has attachments images.

Replied by mdscott on topic Wire Routing Info Needed !

With the air filter removed you may be able to take out the top engine bolt and swing it down the get the wires in place.
Thanks Mark
Roseville, Ca.

'03 ST1300
'75 Norton
'73 CB500K
'81 Honda CT110
'87 PW50
'64 McClane Edger
'02 Honda XR70R
Last edit: 08 May 2020 16:27 by mdscott.
08 May 2020 16:21 #5

• rkutzner

That is SO appreciated! The previous owner ran them into the battery compartment probably to get them out of the way why cutting of the air cleaner tabs and trying to fit up a too large of an engine. It may be another week or two but hopefully I'll be able to update everyone on how it's running.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, mdscott
09 May 2020 03:11 #6

• rkutzner

UGH ! So while awaiting the correct spark plug I figured I'd hook up a battery and hear her turn over and feel the compression 'puf' at the carb. The red light and neutral light were on, I hit the starter and it turned for about 3 seconds (I felt the sucking!) but then heard the sound of what sounded like a short....and the red/neutral lights went out and starter was dead. With the ignition switch 'on' I am getting 12V at all the brown wire leads (like the rear brake switch) but also at the spark plug boot and the top 4 wires in the picture on the generator. The fuse is good and like I said 12V seems to be EVERYWHERE.....doesn't seem right. I SHOULD have tested everything out under NORMAL conditions but didn't. Does it seem right that I can read 12V at the plug boot and the 4 generator wires no matter where the engine is (I turned it slowly thinking I'd see something happen). I pulled the regulator, nothing looks 'smoked' but I think the sound came from back there......bummed !

I was reading the service manual for testing the different parts but many seen to require the engine to be running.....hehehe.....

Rich
Last edit: 11 May 2020 09:50 by rkutzner. Reason: Add info
11 May 2020 09:48 #7

• rkutzner

Those pictures were SO helpful. I have her running now, time to route the wires correctly.

One question...below the large light green wire off of the regulator there is a thick black wire. Is that the battery ground? Mine is currently under the upper ignition switch bolt and your location (if that's what it is) seem like a more correct place for it.

Rich
18 Jun 2020 06:17 #8

• rkutzner

Well, guys, she is together and running ! Took it around the fields on my farm, throttle cable needs replaced but otherwise it was a hoot !
Last edit: 19 Aug 2020 17:46 by rkutzner.
19 Aug 2020 17:45 #9

This message has an attachment image.

Replied by MarkT on topic Wire Routing Info Needed !

Congratulations! :likey
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
19 Aug 2020 17:49 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart