facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Oil pump set up

• Grumman41
  • Grumman41's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Oil pump set up was created by Grumman41

I’ve been working on several issue on my RT2 and making good progress. My next task is carb jetting and tuning. I have a layman’s understanding of the oil pump and want to get it set up properly before I start carb tuning. I’ve only verified oil flow at this point but haven’t measure or timed the amount going to the engine, is measuring the volume recommended and the only way to do this accurately?  I have also looked at the alignment mark at idle and it looks to line up, again, haven’t measured volume or flow at idle throttle.

Am I doing this in the right sequence? I have the configuration (pipe, carb, airbox, filter) that I’m going to be running for now. 

19 Apr 2023 11:21 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by RT325 on topic Oil pump set up

If the cable roller alignment marks are close & limited free cable on the lower throttle into the carb it'll be good, so they're both lifting about together. Minimum pump stroke on the plate needs to be about 10 thou but wouldn't matter if its 20 unless left idling for half an hour. Any adjustment won't be immediately visible at the exhaust. Just my take on pump things.
20 Apr 2023 01:36 #2

• Grumman41
  • Grumman41's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Replied by Grumman41 on topic Oil pump set up

Thanks for the reminder I forgot to measure the distance at the “throttle cam”.
I’m getting flow at the pump bit don’t see much smoke. I’m using Yamalube, does it smoke much?
20 Apr 2023 05:36 #3

Replied by RT325 on topic Oil pump set up

I'm in NZ so not sure on oil differences in the US but i'd guess Yamalube would be good. So far as smoke goes, if yours has had mostly road use the pipe could be idealy dry inside, so little smoke. But if its life has been trail riding where you might be on a wide throttle but low revs in a high-ish gear in steep dodgy situation up through trees so it's pumping full stroke even though not full engine revs but its getting more oil than it likely needs, so then the fibreglass matting inside the main chamber gets soaked in oil then smoulders & looks worse than it actualy is untill you burn it out on the bonfire--or tke it for a 50 mike road cruise. Plug is a good indicator of what's going on. I'm way overcomplicating it all. See what others say. I'm old & on premix--so are most of my bikes lol.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Sneezles61
20 Apr 2023 06:17 #4

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart