facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

How do I wire the ignition coil to my spark plug?

• Dylan_at1
  • Dylan_at1's Avatar Topic Author
Hello all,
I am currently rebuilding a 1969 Yamaha AT-1, which will require all new electrical. I have not purchased an ignition coil yet, and I would like to buy the wire to wire it to the spark, but I can't tell how to make the connections to the ignition coil. If you just Google "1969 Yamaha at1 ignition coil" you will see what I'm talking about. There are two wires dangling off, which I assume connect to my stator. There is a cap that looks like unscrews to feed the spark plug boot into. What do the internals of this look like to wire my spark plug to?
Thanks for the help!

​​​​
03 Jul 2024 19:39 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hi, i'll guess yours is 12 volt battery ignition, except you mention connecting to the stator which make me wonder if you have a flywheel magneto model 'as i have'.
The original coil for the AT1 magneto & the AT1 12 volt look the same in shape & size except the magneto coil will have only one wire to get its voltage from the mag.
The battery ignition 12v has two wires, one to the points & other to/from the battery in a round about way via the switch.
So first off which one is yours?.
If you mean you're buying a coil with no wire to the spark plug then i guess wire can be bought from an auto store but really the coil should come complete if new.
Here's a pic of my 12 volt ones i'm selling but i'm in NZ so not viable to buy from me. Hope the link works to view.
Mine are off something like RD350 but same 12 volt coil except the red/white battery wire might be red on yours & seperate wires not multi wire plug.
Mine don't have plug leads, got lost like most things around here lol.
But under the screw cap should be a rubber seal to slide over the plug lead then push the new lead hard onto the sharp spike down in there, then screw the cap on with the seal.
Hope i've not overly confused things.
www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/motorbikes/pa...ed=true&bof=wtpXPhZn
Even ran one of those coils on my Lada Niva haha & worked perfect.
03 Jul 2024 21:50 #2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart