facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

How to register motorcycle not registered in CA for 30 years!

I would leave it as is. That paint holds up well in every other aspect. Just don’t get careless when you fill your tank. I have tried a few other high temp paints but haven’t put them to the test yet. The pipes are still hanging in my garage. I used VHT paint from my local Autozone. The Very high temp header paint is extremely flat black and almost looks powdery in finish. Don’t think I’m gonna like that for clean up from mud runs.

Schu

CT1B, CT1C, JT1, JT2, DT360A, GT80B, DT100B, DT125B,
DT175B, DT175C, DT250B, DT400B, Z50, SCR950

Someday, you'll own some Yamahas
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Tom P
06 Apr 2022 15:10 #71

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Tom P
  • Tom P's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I'll leave it as is for now. I just put a heat gun in it, and I'm going to let it burn off for about an hour. This will burn out some of the oil that was inside the pipe from the bad crankshaft seals, and maybe the paint will cure a bit harder. It has been smoking both from the end of the tailpipe, and from the paint itself, but now that's diminishing. It's about 350 degrees at the curve of the pipe, and the rest of the pipe is around 235 to 260. In any case, it's not hard to strip and repaint again if I have to. Live and learn...

Last edit: 06 Apr 2022 18:17 by Tom P.
06 Apr 2022 15:51 #72

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

As far as the Shinko 241 I've been impressed as long as it's not mud or snow they are a great fit for these bikes, good performance on and off road. Modern bikes with too much HP tend to spin them too much, no issues there with my CT2!
1972 Yamaha CT2 175
1972 Suzuki TS185 Sierra
2000 Suzuki RM100
2003 BMW F650GS
2009 Yamaha WR250R
2013 Yamaha XT250
06 Apr 2022 18:48 #73

Hey Guys - I haven't posted in a long time, but this topic caught my attention. I resurrected a 1969 CT-1 as a COVID boredom project. I finished it in November 2020. It had no title or paperwork at all. It was abandoned on private property. The property owner was going to haul it to the dump.

Several months ago I went to my local CA DMV field office to ask how to get a title. They told me I had to do a lien sale and sent me home with a raft of forms. I'll try to make the story as short as possible:

Since Spring is here in the Northern Hemisphere I decided it was time to pursue the paperwork. I filled out 3 or 4 of the forms, cut a check and mailed it to the giant DMV in the sky. Two weeks went by and I just got the whole package back in the mail today - unprocessed - with another form attached saying their interpretation was I couldn't do a lien sale. So I went back to the local field office, showed the nice associate at the window all my paperwork, and asked what to do next... The associate scratched his head and asked me to wait and he'd talk to a supervisor. After a few minutes he came back, started typing, and asked me for $141. Bottom line - it's back in the system, and all I have to do is take the bike back to the DMV for them to validate the VIN, and I get a clean title, a new plate and a registration sticker!

I was stunned - this was not the result I was expecting. However - I'll take it. I have a newfound respect for the staff at this DMV field office!
06 Apr 2022 20:46 #74

I’m glad I live in Tennessee if your vehicle is 25 yrs or older you fill out one page name address. Make model and year vin number if it doesn’t come back stolen you leave with a tag and title will be mailed no bill of sale required 
06 Apr 2022 21:55 #75

• Tom P
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Dad3sons, it sounds like the first person you talked to at the DMV didn't know what they were doing. I think if you take the bike to the DMV for VIN verification, they'll end up referring you to a CHP office. I called a place called SoCal VIN Verification, and the guy (Mike) came out the next day to examine it, and filled out form Reg 31 for me to take to the DMV. He only charged $80, which I thought was reasonable, I don't know where you live, but I think he travels all over Southern California, and part of the fee is based on how far he has to drive. But congratulations on getting as far as you have!

www.socalvinverification.com/contact?gcl...mnGtiH8aAusYEALw_wcB
Last edit: 07 Apr 2022 06:10 by Tom P.
07 Apr 2022 06:06 #76

The VIN verification can be done by the local office if they are in the mood, and the vehicle is there and easy to access. If the VIN is hard to see or get access to (in the back of a pickup they'd have to climb into), they may tell you to take it to CHP or have it independently verified like you did.

I dealt with all that bringing in an out of state snowmobile this year, the engine VIN was buried under the carbs in the middle of the machine. In my experience they love old Yamaha enduros, easy access to the VIN numbers and they typically match too.
1972 Yamaha CT2 175
1972 Suzuki TS185 Sierra
2000 Suzuki RM100
2003 BMW F650GS
2009 Yamaha WR250R
2013 Yamaha XT250
07 Apr 2022 08:45 #77

• Tom P
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Darinm, that's what I was afraid of. If I loaded the bike up in my truck and drove it to the DMV, they wouldn't want to climb up in the bed to take a look. I also don't have a ramp yet, so it would be difficult to take it out of the truck at the DMV. However I could have loaded it on my driveway by backing down to the street to get the tailgate low.

I was also told I would have to file a planned non-op on it to even drive it to the DMV on public streets, either in my truck, or on a trailer. It just seemed a heck of a lot easier to have the guy come to my garage and fill out the form there.

However you are right, it's very easy to see the three different VIN numbers. One on a sticker on the steering head, one stamped in the steering head, and one stamped into the left crankcase.
Last edit: 07 Apr 2022 10:09 by Tom P.
07 Apr 2022 10:06 #78

I don't know where they are coming off with it needing a PNO to be riding in the back of a truck or on a trailer, if the tires of it are not on the ground, it's not their business, after all that's what the truck and trailer registration covers, they could argue PNO for unloading it at DMV though. Regardless, proves the point it's more about the agent than the letter of the law and a good attitude goes a long ways!
1972 Yamaha CT2 175
1972 Suzuki TS185 Sierra
2000 Suzuki RM100
2003 BMW F650GS
2009 Yamaha WR250R
2013 Yamaha XT250
07 Apr 2022 19:26 #79

Actually California law says something like "on or over public road" as a requirement for registration...  that goes way back.  When I was a kid a friend's Dad got a "no registration" ticket when we went with him to pick up an old unregistered street bike with a pickup truck.  He fought it and the court threw it out because of the circumstances and the fact that he registered it right away after buying.
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
07 Apr 2022 19:42 #80

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart