facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

DT400 Engine miss above 5000 RPM under load.

• RT325
  • RT325's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I live in restricted exhaust mode & I can't see past 'that' unless something definite shows up in another direction. I guess I've already said "that" if you've been asking on a previous post--this being a new post. Of course I could be wrong. Think I was wrong once haha!!. Shouldn't need to lean it down & down unless exhaust is getting more & more restricted which leaning off sort of lets it rev but with less power & not a good way to go.
Last edit: 01 Jul 2024 15:24 by RT325.
01 Jul 2024 15:19 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• MarkT
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter
Original poster deleted the original question and then his response to RT325 that he had figured it out. 

He said float level was set too high. 
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: swm, Swoop56
01 Jul 2024 17:53 #2

• RT325
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Oh haha, thanks Mark. Thought i'd lost the plot.
Would've thought it'd take more that 'that' to cause the problem of lacking or limited revs in higher gears--but, just my thoughts.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, Eflrr96
Last edit: 01 Jul 2024 18:36 by RT325.
01 Jul 2024 18:35 #3

Replied by Eflrr96 on topic DT400 Engine miss above 5000 RPM under load.

Hey RT and Mark, Yes i deleted my post, I did message you RT but I'm not sure it went through. This thing is weird. I'm thinking somone put a carb rebuild kit in it and never did get it correct. Then I got a hold of it. I haven't had these troubles in the past with 13 other bikes I've restored so this one has been baffling and no, I'm not a mechanic as much as I am a paint guy. I'm sure you've seen the hints. 
I set the float level, ran beautiful, pulled like crazy. Then on about the third run up through the gears pulling ALL THE TIME it did the same damn thing it was doing in the past.  All I can figure is something is worn and sticking somehow, a float maybe. It never overflows so that seems unlikely. I don't really like the way the needle valve moves around in its seat. Ordered new parts from Niche. Awaiting them. I've never had this much trouble with a carb in my life. And it's def the carb beause it ran just freaking terrific for those few passes. Since I'm getting so tired of messing with this I ordered a new Mikuni VM32 and may use that unless it doesn't have the oil injection fitting. Really tired of messing with this thing. Sorry if it looked weird to pull my post but kind of embarrassing to actually be so dumb as to have float level be my problem, now I"m back on the horse with the damned thing. 
I’m either livin’ the dream or dreamin’ of livin’!
Last edit: 02 Jul 2024 10:38 by Eflrr96.
02 Jul 2024 10:33 #4

• Gr8uncleal
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic DT400 Engine miss above 5000 RPM under load.

Could it be the pulser in the cdi going bad intermittently? They don't have a great reputation.
02 Jul 2024 10:40 #5

When I bought the bike I also bought the Vape12v conversion kit. 
when it got here it ran but not good. Sent out the cylinder and did the top end. Cleaned the carb, changed spark plug, put it all back together and once I had it running without the drastic knock it started out with (I didn’t want to ride it making that wicked noise until I could figure that part out which ended up being a carb tuning lean issue) it ran super rich on wot. All with the 6v system. I changed out the 6 for the 12v Vape system and same wot issue. Ended up changing the float level and it ran like a banshee for about 10-15 minutes up and down the road! Problem solved, no, it gurgled a bit and ran just like it did before, rich at wot. So I know it’s the carb. I’ve got a rebuilt kit coming, a new carb coming but I fear the new carb doesn’t have the oil injection port so I ordered a used carb off eBay any that’s coming as well, also have needle and seat coming, new floats as well. The Vape system worked flawlessly. And when it was running good it was immediate, I mean, I took off in first and without hesitation the wheel came off the ground. In the distance it took me to get it up to 50mph before it was sling past 60 and pulling really strong. Then it went right back to running like shit on the top end and it’s rich, not lean. I don’t know if a float is sticking and freed up the one time or what. You’d think it would pile out gas on the overflow if a float was sticking but it never has. I’m going to pull the carb again and blow it all out. Fuel delivery from the tank is flowing freely, I even changed the fuel line just in case it was collapsing or something really strange like that. 
02 Jul 2024 11:19 #6

• RT325
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Thanks for the update. Let's know how your "new" carb goes. I'll stick with my exhaust diagnosis mainly because I can't think of anything else haha. But wait--has it had fibre reeds fitted that have lost their rigidity (is that a word). Had a KTM125 for a customer once that was useless up in the revs & wasn't me that came up with the answer so I learnt a good lesson that day. Replaced as we're obviously past their use by & transformed it into "wild thing" lol. Ok back to exhaust, what have you done with 'that'. The spark arrestor is a trap for carbon lumps then they drop out if ya lucky then find their way back in therefore changing performance by the day or the bump if if its a big bump or pot hole in the road. I'll shut up now.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT
Last edit: 02 Jul 2024 15:14 by RT325.
02 Jul 2024 15:12 #7

RT! After all this messing around… 
The air filter was restricted, the metal pan under the seat was sitting right on top of the air inlet. I took the air cleaner complete out and rode it out on our street, first start of the day and it needed choke and it’s never really needed to be choked and it bogged without the choke (float level correct, stock pilot and main, needs second from top) and as I eased off the choke and it warmed up it ran right up to 6gs, then second gear and ran up third gear and ran up fourth and fifth with logical pull. Put the filter back in and left the metal panel out of the seat pocket. 
im going to modify the metal pan and put a large hole screen to cover so things don’t end up in there. I may have to put some vents in the air box too. I did put a new air filter in it when I bought the bike so it’s not some old plugged up filter.
Hurray! 
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Ht1kid
03 Jul 2024 08:51 #8

• Gr8uncleal
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic DT400 Engine miss above 5000 RPM under load.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

03 Jul 2024 09:27 #9

No KIDDING!!! What an ordeal!!!! 
thank you for your input!!! I appreciate it!
03 Jul 2024 09:30 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart