facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

69 dt1 Fork cap bolt air valve

• pmb
  • pmb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

69 dt1 Fork cap bolt air valve was created by pmb

Hello everyone.  I am in the middle of rebuilding the forks on a 69’ DT1B 250. I read a thread about a problem another guy had and that was very helpful. However, I ran into a small snag as I was cleaning everything up. The cap bolts on the forks have an air valve to allow air in or out as an adjustment to the stiffness of the fork… I figured I should verify that the valve actually works. After removing the big phillips screw I found a spring with a little rubber bumper and the tiny pin that sticks up through the cap bolt. No surprise that the little rubber bumper basically disintegrated when I touched it. I figured I could make a new rubber bumper with a bit of rubber and an exacto knife. Upon further inspection that little rubber bit must have a very particular shape to actually fit and do the job. I did a search on this subject and didn’t find anything that helped. 

So, here’s my question.

Has anyone just drilled and tapped it for a schradar valve? Is that possible? 

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions for how to repair the valve without having to try and get replacement parts that are made from un-obtainium?

It seems like such a small problem but I don’t want to put the forks back together until I solve this issue. 

Thanks in advance for any assistance. 
pmb. 
17 Oct 2023 15:51 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DEET on topic 69 dt1 Fork cap bolt air valve

I have rebuild kits for them. 
if you just want the ball, I have those. 

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Where the Yamaha Enduro is still a current model...
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, swm, Swoop56, Ht1kid
17 Oct 2023 16:00 #2

• pmb
  • pmb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Replied by pmb on topic 69 dt1 Fork cap bolt air valve

Well then, I feel the fool for thinking that would be an impossible find. I actually messed around with it a bit more and got it to work with my cut down bit of rubber but I would confirm that I am a fool if I don’t take advantage of your rebuild kit. 

Thanks. I will be moving on to your site to order two of them. 

I absolutely love this site!!!
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, Ht1kid
17 Oct 2023 16:14 #3

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart