facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

DT250 Side Stand Bracket

• 's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

DT250 Side Stand Bracket was created by

Haven't posted on here in awhile.
I have a 74 DT250 that I'm working on. It needs a new side stand bracket. Anyone know where I can find one that I could weld on? Anyone on this site fabricating them? NW Vintage Cycle parts has a few that show up on the search but there are only part numbers and I'm not sure which would work with my bike.
Any help would be appreciated.
14 Jun 2015 13:42 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Makotosun on topic DT250 Side Stand Bracket

I am not aware of anyone making a weld on bracket. You get one of the members here to trace what it is shaped like, then have one cut from heavy steel and weld it on, but that would be the only suggestion I could give you. It is not real complicated, but needs to have the right stops on it.

I am not in a place to do that for you right this minute, but would be happy to do so later or in the next few days. Anyone else have a diagram available?
IF it isn't one thing, it's another.
14 Jun 2015 14:23 #2

• 's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by on topic DT250 Side Stand Bracket

I will absolutely take you up on that offer.
Whenever it works for you.
Thank you.
14 Jun 2015 16:53 #3

OK - We will see if this works.

Some photos for perspective on the mount. (note - this is on a 1975 DT400, but the 74-76 DT250/260/400 share essentially the same frame).

This photo is taken from slightly above the mount:

This next one is as close to level as I could get in my garage. Both show the kickstand still mounted:

This next one will show the bare mount from about the same angle:

And this is a graphic version of the tracing.

I am attaching a PDF of the above which if you print it at 100% sizing on your printer should give you an exact copy of the actual tracing which you can use for a template.

You should be able to download the pdf, and then print it out at a print setting of 100% (not scaled for your paper) and it will give you an exact template to work from. the steel is just slightly thicker that 1/4" whatever that works out to. You should get a stock kickstand, so you can size it appropriately. I would also get a stock mounting bolt and castle nut then size your hole accordingly. The castle nut allows you to not lose the bolt but leave enough play for the kickstand to still work. You will also need a spring.

Let me know if this all works :)
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, christopher.williams, Johnnytheboy, invisiblek
Last edit: 18 Jun 2015 02:28 by Makotosun.
17 Jun 2015 22:04 #4

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

This message has an attachment file.

• 's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

I appreciate you taking the time to do that.
I am going to try and fabricate that piece this weekend.
I'll post some pics.
18 Jun 2015 12:23 #5

• 's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Here is a picture of what was on the bike. It was too small to mount a stock kick stand on.
The second pic is the piece I made this weekend. I don't have the correct drill bit for the stock hardware for the side stand. Hopefully I'll be able to pic that up this week.

Last edit: 22 Jun 2015 07:43 by Devin. Reason: Inserted pictures
22 Jun 2015 07:15 #6

This message has attachments images.

That looks great!
22 Jun 2015 07:52 #7

Replied by AT6 DRIVER on topic DT250 Side Stand Bracket

I am sure glad I stumbled across this frame fix note!!!!!! I have at least 3 frames that need this fixed- and was about to start the effort from scratch. Fortunately I have a frame that is stock and in good shape I can use that as a template to match. I down loaded the .pdf and will be making a few of these pieces. The frame looks like it has a reinforcement plate that is welded on first- I believe I will try to create that piece also as some frames have that part missing. I have also seen the rear brake adjustment tab for the adjustment bolt get damaged also and had to replace it.
1975 DT 400B

If it moves and shouldn't , use duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use liquid wrench.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Makotosun
Last edit: 29 Aug 2016 17:58 by AT6 DRIVER.
29 Aug 2016 17:57 #8

Replied by TerryM on topic DT250 Side Stand Bracket

I'd sure like to lay my hands on one of these for my DT400C. Prior owner screwed up the kickstand on it - installed some other variety of stand and moved the spring hook to the rear quite a distance. When I bought it, the stand would not stay down until you put the weight of the bike on it, and even then the bike was standing almost straight up with almost no lean at all. And the spring was lightweight like a screen door spring.

I did a little grinding to get the kickstand to swing farther forward to get the line of the spring to go past the mounting bolt when in the down position and it worked for a while. Then the spring started stretching - and stretching - and stretching - and now it won't stay on the spring hook without zip ties. It also won't stay up any more because the spring stretched too far.

I have a stand and spring that came off an earlier DT1-F that should work, but it won't fit on the crappy plate that is currently welded onto the frame. I'm ready to grind the current plate off, but I need a replacement that I can get welded on once the old one is off.

AT6 - are you willing to produce a few extra for resale? If so, I'd like one!
29 Aug 2016 18:39 #9

Replied by AT6 DRIVER on topic DT250 Side Stand Bracket

Terry- I was thinking that same idea. I think making the plate is one part but the pin that the spring attaches to needs to be fabricated as well. If I have a batch of these made up would not be much more work than doing a few for myself- I think I could use 3 or 4 myself. Maybe I could have a machine shop cut these up. I will start doing some checking around to see if I can get it done. I will need to make one sample and than verify it works than make more.
Scott
1975 DT 400B

If it moves and shouldn't , use duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use liquid wrench.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Makotosun
29 Aug 2016 18:49 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart