facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

DT400 Trans assy

• chuckw
  • chuckw's Avatar Topic Author

DT400 Trans assy was created by chuckw

I've been working on getting the modified 400 engine back together.  It was apart when I got it, so there has been some trial and error with shims, shift drum placement, not shifting after assy, etc.  So after about 3 tries and various bench testing, it is together and shifting correctly, ready for complete assembly.  Shifts good, crank spins free, etc.  So I start on the RH side, and get ready to install the clutch - and find the internal actuator rod still on the bench!  Only bike I can remember having apart where the rod doesn't go in through the clutch side -

So it's coming apart again this week, to have the rod installed.  Hopefully for the last time.
69 DT1, 75 DT400 (2), 86 XT600, 78 Honda XR50, several 70's/80's MX bikes, 2021 Husky FE350
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Pedalcrazy
26 Dec 2021 16:59 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Pedalcrazy on topic DT400 Trans assy

Yep I triple checked that on my first DT400C because it would be easy to miss. Glad you have it sorted. I recall using a zip tie to hold the kicker spring in place while the right case was married up to the left. Good luck on final assembly.
1978 DT400E
1976 DT400C
1973 RT3
1971 RT1B
1968 DT1 (3)
The following user(s) Liked this Post: chuckw
26 Dec 2021 17:26 #2

Replied by RT325 on topic DT400 Trans assy

Yes exactly that happened at work the first time a Yamaha with 'that' system was dismantled. Wasn't me caught out but was a lesson that i never forgot. Learnt a lot of new swear words that day haha. Don't think they ran that idea for long, probably got tired of complaints to the factory of being caught out so went back to the usual system. I feel your pain though!!.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: chuckw
27 Dec 2021 16:37 #3

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart