facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

RT2 - should this hole be full of resin?

• MK19
  • MK19's Avatar Topic Author
I have the top end off my RT2 360. On taking the compression release components out of their threaded aperture I notice a hole in the top of the threads about 5mm in. There is a matching one 180 degrees opposite. I attach a link to the picture on IMGUR. 
imgur.com/E7H6Alr
The hole was (and still mostly is) filled with a resin like material which I initially scraped away but before I have someone look at this cylinder head with a view to cleaning it up and then possibly machining the bore etc. I wondered what this hole was all about and whether it should be open or bunged up as mine currently is?
imgur.com/C4d9jUX
Any advice welcome.
10 Dec 2023 05:51 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic RT2 - should this hole be full of resin?

I raised this a few years ago (thread has probably been archived) and yes, that resin is meant to be there. Something to do with filling in a hole that was needed for machining of the decompression valve aperture. 
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MK19
10 Dec 2023 06:05 #2

• MK19
  • MK19's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by MK19 on topic RT2 - should this hole be full of resin?

Ok, thanks, I'll won't try to dig it out then.
10 Dec 2023 06:13 #3

Replied by RT325 on topic RT2 - should this hole be full of resin?

Hope this works, on old phone. Blocked hole was from drilling down to the exhaust port exit for the valve to bleed compression out to. Had to start drilling from up there or wasn’t possible. Then had to block it off or valve would bleed off up ‘& down’. If the down hole is carboned up I think you can get at it on an angle from the bottom with cylinder off & a long drill as hole goes angled from top to bottom. On rethinking that I wonder why they didn’t drill from bottom to top & avoid having to  
make a hole then resin it. Maybe not accurate enough. My thoughts anyway. So be sure both cylinder & down holes are clear.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, MK19
10 Dec 2023 12:04 #4

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart