facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

73' RT3 360 Sluggish shifter shaft

• Dirtdad55
  • Dirtdad55's Avatar Topic Author

73' RT3 360 Sluggish shifter shaft was created by Dirtdad55

Newly acquired RT3  and the symptoms are the shifter shaft wont return to the center.  I just got the machine last month and I'm going thru it  .  Bike took a fall on the shifter side by PO .  .  I corrected the bent shifter and noticed it doesn't go back to center.   Upon pulling the clutch cover , the shifter becomes free . I found a dowel pin was missing and replaced it , reinstalled the cover and the shifter was still free and now returns to center on its own nicely .  A few kicks of the bike , take it down the street and very shortly the stiffness returns.   Took off the clutch cover again, and that frees it up .  I put on a second gasket and the problem is still happening.   Bought a new shift shaft ( that goes thru the motor from shifter side to clutch side) but I'm not sure how to replace it ?  Feed it thru from the shifter side and just lightly tap in on thru ?    Thanks in advance for your input .  

04 Nov 2022 19:26 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by msavitt on topic 73' RT3 360 Sluggish shifter shaft

I think the shifter shaft that goes thru from L to R ride of engine is bent. 
04 Nov 2022 21:41 #2

Replied by 1971DT250 on topic 73' RT3 360 Sluggish shifter shaft

Once a shaft is bent it's difficult to straighten it.  When the engine heats up it may increase the binding from the expansion of parts from heat. While in there suggest you replace items # 5, 8, 9, 14 and 16 in the parts list. And check the splines on the shift lever.
The hours spent riding my Enduros is not deducted from my life span.
05 Nov 2022 05:48 #3

Replied by DCSME on topic 73' RT3 360 Sluggish shifter shaft

I have the same problem with my RT2. On mine the dowel holes are worn in the crank case and clutch cover, so as you kick start it the clutch cover creeps down and binds the shift shaft where it locates inside the cover. I loosen the cover screws to let it free up, tighten them up and keep riding. one day I'll make some oversize dowels and redial the holes.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT
05 Nov 2022 17:32 #4

Replied by 1971DT250 on topic 73' RT3 360 Sluggish shifter shaft

How did the holes get worn?
The hours spent riding my Enduros is not deducted from my life span.
06 Nov 2022 05:07 #5

Replied by DCSME on topic 73' RT3 360 Sluggish shifter shaft

Probably years of kick starting without the cover screws being at the optimum torque?
06 Nov 2022 09:56 #6

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart