facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

73 DT3 rear shocks and spark plug questions.

• Josgnal87
  • Josgnal87's Avatar Topic Author
Hey fellas I'm new here. I have a 73 DT3. It runs okay as long as I keep spark plugs on me. But my question is can I achieve a taller bike if I put longer shocks on the back? What are my options and limits. What should I look out for? Like chain rubbing and the like. My other question is plug fouling. I go through plugs like a freaking mad man. I was running the injection pump which I tested and set by the book. I disabled that and run 32:1 premix with hopes it would fix the fouling. No change. I'm waiting on a carb kit in the mail. 
12 Aug 2022 19:13 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by 1971DT250 on topic 73 DT3 rear shocks and spark plug questions.

The longer shocks from Redwing and Assault will likely interfere with the chain. I have KM-S340 which are 3/4 inch longer on my RT3 but the rear sprocket on the RT3 is 39 tooth. The DT3 has a 44 tooth. Pirelli MT43 tires have a taller profile, I have them on my RT3. The seat height increased by about an inch and a half. I lengthened the kickstand by 1 inch.

I've had bad ignition coils cause excessive spark plug use.

The oil pump on these is a very good reliable design. Forum member DEET rebuilds them.

Most of the carb kits have inferior brass parts. The gaskets and o-rings might be OK. Use genuine Mikuni in unopened packages from a reputable source like jetsrus or sudco.
The hours spent riding my Enduros is not deducted from my life span.
Last edit: 13 Aug 2022 05:03 by 1971DT250.
13 Aug 2022 04:59 #2

• Josgnal87
  • Josgnal87's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by Josgnal87 on topic 73 DT3 rear shocks and spark plug questions.

Okay. I was reading about those shocks in another post here. So it is as I expected. I know what to look for then. 

My carb kit came from niche cycle. I'll look into those kits you suggested.

My ignition coil is good. I am within tolerance on the primary and secondary side. I don't remember my exact reading but it was .6 and 6000 range.

As far as the injection pump goes, I tested it and it works to spec. I only disabled it because I have lucas semi synthetic in the tank and I wanted to try mixing a standard non synthetic oil to see if my fouling was due to running synthetic oil.

13 Aug 2022 05:25 #3

Niche should be genuine I use there kits also on my Ct1c I used RD350 shocks which cleared the chain guard my son is 6’ 5” tall for a little extra height. To me it   Doesn’t look out of place nobody else noticed either 
The following user(s) Liked this Post: 1971DT250
13 Aug 2022 06:12 #4

Replied by 1971DT250 on topic 73 DT3 rear shocks and spark plug questions.

Can you post a picture of the shocks installed on the bike?
The hours spent riding my Enduros is not deducted from my life span.
Last edit: 13 Aug 2022 07:37 by 1971DT250.
13 Aug 2022 07:37 #5

Yes it will probably be tomorrow 
13 Aug 2022 14:54 #6

Here are a couple of pictures the Ct1c with 1” longer shocks the kickstand is stock everything clears the chain and guard. I know the color is not correct but I painted it Schwinn stingray Coppertone to match my bicycle. 
14 Aug 2022 13:25 #7

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

One more
14 Aug 2022 13:27 #8

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart