facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

First DT1

• RT325
  • RT325's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

First DT1 was created by RT325

Interesting DT1 for sale in NZ. I know we've been here talking early numbers before but had this bike on my watch list for a week so thought show it here out of interest.
I put the rego number on out carjam & says imported from Canada & first NZ rego 22-03-23
www.carjam.co.nz/car/?plate=c2sfg
www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/motorbikes/mo...a/listing/4662179630
All interesting stuff. I had a white one but never saved the numbers.
But the ownership papers i 'do have' relate to my bosses one which had a gold tank & was the first one we'd ever seen & that was in December 1968.
Has numbers DT1-20090.
All interesting that's all. Wish now i'd save the numbers relating to my own white tank model which i possibly didn't buy until 1970 as broke my tib & fib on bosses bike in 1969.
Then after about a year to get back to riding i then bought my white one but could've been old stock mates rates as worked for the dealer so importer might've had a few left from the previous year.
All a bit of guess work nowdays but my mind still lives in those fun days lol.
Leg still gives me grief every day though & brought a CZ250 motocrosser to a halt when i caught my leg on his rear tyre on full song & stopped when it got to his shocks plus no clearance under the valanced 'wrap around' rear guards.
I went Ow!! that £$%^&*^ hurt.
Looking at the pic of a 1969 CZ motocrosser i must've been under the exhaust too which is high on the right & so was i--on his right. I've heard of having your leg pulled but that was over the top haha.
Sorry--getting way off subject again.
www.classic.com/veh/1969-cz-250-motocross-98002829-pzRm0Ep/
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, 1971DT250, swm, Swoop56, Ht1kid, LongStride, Sneezles61, Brzn
Last edit: 25 Apr 2024 05:31 by RT325.
25 Apr 2024 05:23 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by swm on topic First DT1

Morley,
That 68 dt1 is a fine example of original patina survivior IMHO.  Fairly early production too w/4 o'clock kicker & aluminum dipstick.
Nice!!
The following user(s) Liked this Post: RT325
25 Apr 2024 07:03 #2

Replied by Phyllo on topic First DT1

Wow, cool bike, Morley. Too bad about the fork tubes, but I imagine they can be ground and re-chromed.
Your tale about your leg in the back of the CZ made me both cringe and COL (chuckle out loud). You have had some times.... There's a pic of you in a post on this forum somewhere jamming away on one of the old heavy '60's four strokes (BSA maybe?) in an MX race that made me respect you even more. Had to be a "man's man" to handle one of those beasts back in the day...
The following user(s) Liked this Post: RT325, Ht1kid
25 Apr 2024 11:34 #3

• RT325
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Replied by RT325 on topic First DT1

Yeah funny looking back at the old BSA weighing about twice a DT1 but we didn't know any better back then haha.
25 Apr 2024 17:53 #4

• RT325
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Drag this on to 4.20 & slow it down to 0.75 speed for a short laugh.
Then a good one at 4.34. Sorry i shouldn't be putting irrelevant stuff up haha.
Methanol 500. I must've been twice as big & strong then lol.

The following user(s) Liked this Post: Rick C., MarkT, swm, Swoop56, JayB, Ht1kid, Quartermaster35, Sneezles61, pahiker
25 Apr 2024 18:02 #5

Replied by Phyllo on topic First DT1

I wouldn't call this "irrelevent" on a motorcycle forum... Very cool history, even cooler that it's actually you! All those low pipes must have been a pain to keep attached...
26 Apr 2024 06:11 #6

Replied by Mothersbaugh on topic First DT1

"But the ownership papers i 'do have' relate to my bosses one which had a gold tank & was the first one we'd ever seen & that was in December 1968.
Has numbers DT1-20090"
VIN starting with 2 is supposed to be one of the rare 4000 that were Enduros with the close ratio transmission from the factory. The two 1971 CT-1Cs I own are. But should be a six-digit number, as mine are. The boss had a regular Enduro?
Last edit: 27 Apr 2024 19:07 by Mothersbaugh.
27 Apr 2024 19:03 #7

• RT325
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Well it arrived as an enduro then i fitted the GYT racekit for him.
Sounds like it must've had the close box too as you say starting with "2"were close ratio.
Not sure we were ever aware of things like that & just rode them lol.
But i did like the early coarse tooth ratios.
Not sure if my own white one was close, as never saved the numbers but had the same feel evenly spaced ratios.
I used those coarse too gears in my 360 for a while because of the nice ratios but broke the spindly third gear big wheel & made a hell of a mess.
On my own white tank original 250 i broke that same gear in the first year & came out the bottom--another mess.
Pity photograpy wasn't easy back then or think of all the carnage pics we would have to put up here now.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT
28 Apr 2024 05:29 #8

Replied by Buggin on topic First DT1

Very cool Morley. Love the video and the history.
1976 Dt400
1985 RZ500
2001 Xr650L
28 Apr 2024 17:13 #9

• RT325
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

The DT1-20090 number bike of my boss was a gold tank by the way.
28 Apr 2024 22:11 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart