facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Oil pump still leaks CT1C

• holmerob
  • holmerob's Avatar Topic Author

Oil pump still leaks CT1C was created by holmerob

I just was wondering if anyone else has had a problem getting the auto lube pump to stop leaking from the seal under the plastic primer plate and what they did to fix it. I have replaced the seal twice now thinking I may of messed it up the first time. It did slow down a bit but still leaks while standing. My next step is to replace the seal again this time with a 1mm smaller ID one. My guess is that the shaft is slightly worn a bit and by going 1mm smaller ID should do the trick if it's not to tight. I'll let everyone know if it worked when I get the new seal installed. 
20 Mar 2024 11:53 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Tom P on topic Oil pump still leaks CT1C

This CT-1C pump has never been worked on, and it's leaking from the same seal, it seems. I noticed this several months ago, but forgot about it. Just opened it, and it's still leaking. I'll be watching to see any answers on this.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

20 Mar 2024 13:45 #2

I ordered a seal:

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005C5D8CA/ref...le_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Holmerob, did you install yours with the spring side in? I'm sure mine is dried out and cracked, like the main seals were.
20 Mar 2024 16:55 #3

• holmerob

Replied by holmerob on topic Oil pump still leaks CT1C

Spring side in, the old seal didn't really look all that bad. Wish I could mic the shaft down in there. Doesn't look worn.
20 Mar 2024 17:39 #4

• holmerob

Wow yours seams to be leaking way more, I get about half that much in a couple weeks. It's easy to pull out and install the new seal. I'm hoping the new seal will be here is a couple days.  
20 Mar 2024 17:48 #5

It's hard to imagine the steel shaft may have worn down, just running against a rubber seal. Maybe the seal lip turned in a bit when you put it in? Did you put some two-stroke oil on the inside of the lip before you pushed it on? This will be my first time doing this one on the pump, so I'll find out next week when I get the seal. I just remember doing the crank seals was a little bit tricky. Had to make sure I put oil inside the seal lip, and carefully placed it on, slightly turning it as I did. At this point mine only leaks during operation. Just standing still it doesn't leak. BTW, that accumulation in my pic is over 3 to 4 months, and I ride it quite a bit.
Last edit: 20 Mar 2024 18:00 by Tom P.
20 Mar 2024 17:54 #6

Replied by MarkT on topic Oil pump still leaks CT1C

I'm curious if you're using OEM seal?  Might not matter but sometimes things are made with non-standard dimensions and a generic seal might not fit exactly right.
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Pedalcrazy
20 Mar 2024 17:59 #7

Replied by RT325 on topic Oil pump still leaks CT1C

Leave the plastic wheel off & observe that its definitely coming from that seal. Not coming from the bung in the shaft. Not from the union or split pipe going to the cylinder. Sorry i'm not up to speed reading this post--just jumped in.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT
21 Mar 2024 01:53 #8

• holmerob

All ways use OEM parts if there available. I have installed a lot of seals over the years this one has me stumped. The seal I have ordered now is not OEM being it's not stock size. 
21 Mar 2024 06:28 #9

Replied by RT325 on topic Oil pump still leaks CT1C

Just to add--there's no pressure as such in the pump? & pressure to push it up the spout is produced in the center piston in the shaft. Pump body is just gravity feed from tank & its not full anyway or bleed screw would be set at the top. Just saying!!, & happy to be corrected.
21 Mar 2024 16:00 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart