facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram google plus linkedin1 pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 74 MX 360 kick starter not returning

74 MX 360 kick starter not returning 14 Apr 2019 19:54 #1

• jradnich
  • jradnich's Avatar Topic Author
  • Mini Enduro
  • Mini Enduro
Over the winter I rebuilt a MX 360 engine for my DT 250. The only problem is the kick starter does not return all the way and makes a ratcheting noise with the engine running.. The Yamaha manual just says to check the preload before you remove it (which I failed to do) and on assembly to install it the same as it was removed. It may have been making noise before I disassembelled the engine, no silencer on the chamber and a lot of piston rattle. I tried removing and reinstalling it making sure the tang was seated. The gear felt good and returned properly. But once the engine is running it won't return on it's own.

So the question is how do I properly install the assembly? And could another problem with the kick starter be causing the problem?

I added a couple of photos of my DT. As it was when I got it and as it is combined with the MX. Yes, all the stock DT parts are put away in case I ever want to go back to stock.
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Super90

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

74 MX 360 kick starter not returning 14 Apr 2019 23:38 #2

• RT325
  • Collector
  • Collector
Too long ago since i've been inside one but was an almost new MX250 so is the same. I;m sure i'm telling you what you already know--but-- the spring has to be wound up in the tin can & about half a turn i think?. But also the stop ratchet thingy has to go on--on a spline with a Dot to get it right so it'll be under plenty of spring tension when it goes behind the dis-engaging plate that pulls it away from the kick gear. By memory if it's on the wrong spline it's a complete dismantle again sorry. That said--even if on the wrong spline it should still disengage the ratchet if you pulled the kick start up if the spring's too weak. So it "that" doesn't happen then you might be able to save the day 'apart from spring tension' by looking at the kick gear & see if you can space it out a bit away if that's even possible. How much end float in the shaft with the outer cover on etc. Can you pull the shaft sideways when its all assembled & does that stop the ratcheting --if so, then might have to to something drastic as a get you by method like put a thick washer between the back of the lever boss & the case--slightly bigger than the seal so it bears on the case. Then of course you'll have an issue getting the lever on & keeping the shaft over but could be done with a wriggle to get the bolt started. I dunno, just thinking what i'd do if i didn't want to dismantle it again. I remember an MX250 another guy at work had apart & the poor guy got it together thinking the clutch pushrod went in from the right side like any other yamaha but NO as they have a very fat end on both ends & has to go in from the left side during gearbox assembling. He wasn't a happy camper lol. Hope ya get it sorted.

74 MX 360 kick starter not returning 15 Apr 2019 10:07 #3

• mdscott
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor
It sounds like it needs more spring tension, on my DT360 I fiddled with until it returned firmly. You dont want to over tension as will bind the spring. You disassemble the ratchet wheel from the shaft and relocate it.
This may not be the factory way but it worked for me.

Thanks Mark
Roseville, Ca.

'76 Bultaco 143 Frontera
'06 GL1800
07 DL650
74 DT360
75 Norton
73 CB500K
63 C200
87 PW50
64 McClane Edger

74 MX 360 kick starter not returning 15 Apr 2019 16:00 #4

• RT325
  • Collector
  • Collector
On this type of kick starter set up unfortunately its a total dismantle to relocate the ratchet thingy to add moire spring tension i'm sorry to say.
Attachments:

Last Edit: by RT325.

74 MX 360 kick starter not returning 15 Apr 2019 16:03 #5

• RT325
  • Collector
  • Collector
my writing got mucked up in the pic sorry--up the side to start then below.

74 MX 360 kick starter not returning 15 Apr 2019 20:24 #6

• jradnich
  • jradnich's Avatar Topic Author
  • Mini Enduro
  • Mini Enduro
Thanks to both of you for replying. You gave me some good info. I'm trying a little different method. I removed the gear so I could see what I was doing. I started the shaft over the spring (21) with the tang on the ratchet (16) 180 out from where it should be. Then I slipped the kick lever on and rotated the shaft counterclockwise until the tang would seat and pushed the shaft all the way in. Then reinstalled the gear. I put the side cover on to try things out. It definatly feels better but I'm done for the evening. Just need to install the rest of the bolts and put oil in it. Then I can start it and see.

74 MX 360 kick starter not returning 15 Apr 2019 20:27 #7

• KennyandtheJets
  • Collector
  • Collector
Hey RT how goes ... My girlfriends dt250a has just lost its spring return.. spring inside cases is spinning.. it's a split cases job is it not ?

When in doubt, power out !

74 MX 360 kick starter not returning 16 Apr 2019 00:09 #8

• RT325
  • Collector
  • Collector
I'd better go back to school as i think i'm talking rubbish & the shaft looks like it can be pulled out the change the ratchet position without dismantling. Thinking back--the spring is wound say half a turn within the canister & preloaded against a tab within the canister so later after the cases are together the kick shaft then engages on the spring the wind it on a little to get past the tab, then the kick ratchet stop takes over from the tab. Been 45 years since being in there. Sorry about that--if i;m right this time.

To Kenny above--if it's a DT250A like the parts pic above--even though a 360--it has to come right apart if the spring is broken as is totally internal. Hypothetically if it's just lost tension then you 'might' be able to preload it a little by moving the ratchet kick stop thingy around a spline in the right direction. Then you run the risk of coil binding the spring, & i've never done it. Any center punch marks on the shaft & ratchet piece will be to give the right spring preload for a new spring. Sounds like yours has broken though.

Yeah i see up top a bit i said complete dismantle if the ratchet stop is on the wrong spline. I've gotta be wrong as looks like shaft can be pulled out leaving spring behind. in the inner case. Danger 'is' you probably loose the preset preload on the spring unless it finds 'that' tang to hold it when removing the shaft.

Last Edit: by RT325.

74 MX 360 kick starter not returning 16 Apr 2019 00:32 #9

• Mauser
  • Open Class
  • Open Class
Those marking on the kick-start shaft are so confusing and meaningless ?, I re-assembled mine and ignored the marking completely it works perfectly ?.

RT2 ~ XR650R ~ DT175MX ~ ZX12R ~ XJR1300 ~ DT125LC ~ XR250R ~ XL125R ~ RD350LC ~ MT50 ~ GPZ1100

• Page:
Moderators: DEETDevinDmanEnduronutMakotosunVinnieyamadminJames Hart