facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram google plus linkedin1 pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

New Accounts require admin approval

Due to a recent unauthorized access to the site, New accounts will need admin activation. We are sorry for this inconvenience. Register for an account, and an admin will review and approve your account in short order. our user security is our prime concern so this extra hurdle is necessary for a short while. Thanks for your patience. Mako

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: MX360 Flywheel stuck. Looking for ideas.

MX360 Flywheel stuck. Looking for ideas. 10 May 2018 19:09 #1

• jradnich
  • jradnich's Avatar Topic Author
  • Mini Enduro
  • Mini Enduro
I'm trying to pull the flywheel off of an MX360 engine. First step, I tried a MX360 flywheel puller (20 X1.5 pitch) and the flywheel wouldn't budge. Sprayed some Tri Flow rust penetrant and tried with the puller again. Still tight on the crank. Hit the end of the puller with a hammer to aply a little shock force, nothing. Tightened the puller a little more and broke the puller.
Knowint this is the wrong approach, I tried a 2 jaw puller. It still won't come off and the puller leg slipped off the flywheel. This is my Proto puller from work not a Hazard Freight tool. I tried lightly heating the crank and flywheel with a propane torch, I didn't want to use too much heat, but no luck.
So before I decide to split the flywheel and destroy it, does anyone have any other ideas or tips I can try?
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Makotosun

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

MX360 Flywheel stuck. Looking for ideas. 10 May 2018 20:11 #2

• Taps
  • Sportsman
  • Sportsman
I'm sure you have triple checked this, but are you absolutely sure there isn't a washer still on the crank?

Last Edit: by Taps.

MX360 Flywheel stuck. Looking for ideas. 10 May 2018 20:36 #3

• jradnich
  • Mini Enduro
  • Mini Enduro
I just went out and checked. No washer on the crank. But thanks, it was a good thing to double check.

MX360 Flywheel stuck. Looking for ideas. 10 May 2018 20:58 #4

• MarkT
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor
Get a good quality correct puller and try again.

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250

MX360 Flywheel stuck. Looking for ideas. 10 May 2018 22:13 #5

• Makotosun
  • Site Administrator
  • Site Administrator
  • Admin is in the House!
Use the puller you referenced in the first post and a 1/2” impact wrench (air or electric). Use a proper torque wrench to reinstall.

No Good Story ever started with a Salad . . .

MX360 Flywheel stuck. Looking for ideas. 10 May 2018 22:24 #6

• apex
  • Content Contributor
  • Content Contributor

Makotosun wrote: Use the puller you referenced in the first post and a 1/2” impact wrench (air or electric). Use a proper torque wrench to reinstall.

And heat, don't be shy with a map gas torch. And load the removal tool really good like you've almost loaded the tool to break or pull threads, then smack the tool with the hammer good. THEN use the 1/2 inch impact. That should do it. I have done all of these things in various order and never been denied. Put something next to the flywheel to catch it when smacking with the hammer, I have had some jump off and fly away!

Allrighty Then

MX360 Flywheel stuck. Looking for ideas. 11 May 2018 05:41 #7

• RT325
  • Collector
  • Collector
If you're talking internal small rotor then be sure it's the right puller so the crank bumps into the end of the puller before you run out of thread in the rotor as has to come up against the inner head of the puller with a turn or 3 left to apply the force. I've had deep & shallow pullers around here getting mixed up with kids yz80 & my stuff back in the day so--just saying. & Sorry if it's been covered, not read it all. Think flywheels are 27 fine thread left hand so rotor with 20mm sounds like yours?. ps, if it comes up short just drop something solid up in the puller to do the trick & take up the space.

MX360 Flywheel stuck. Looking for ideas. 11 May 2018 06:53 #8

• jradnich
  • Mini Enduro
  • Mini Enduro
RT325 brought up a point. This is the small dia internal rotor, I was calling it a flywheel. The puller was hitting the end of the crank like it should. The puller that I used and broke was a Bokemaster brand. This weekend I will take a trip to a Cycle Gear store and see what they might have in stock.

I broke the tool using an impact gun. I 'll take the suggestion on using more heat. I was just concerned about affecting the hardness of the crank snout.

I've just never run into one this tight before.

MX360 Flywheel stuck. Looking for ideas. 11 May 2018 17:20 #9

• Makotosun
  • Site Administrator
  • Site Administrator
  • Admin is in the House!
See if you can find the Motion Pro version - I have had the best luck with that brand.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Rick C.

No Good Story ever started with a Salad . . .

MX360 Flywheel stuck. Looking for ideas. 11 May 2018 20:38 #10

• RT325
  • Collector
  • Collector
Unusual problem as should come off easy unless it's spun & taken the key & sort of welded its self to the shaft. Never happens with a rotor though as not heavy enough to do damage i think]. looking forward to good news but i see you say it's hitting the end of the crank & so long as there's thread left to go a fraction further then it should come off. Sorry, i'm woffling & only half thinking--visitors.

• Page:
Moderators: DEETDevinDmanEnduronutMakotosunVinnieyamadminJames Hart