facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram google plus linkedin1 pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: '74 MX360 AHRMA Project

'74 MX360 AHRMA Project 16 Apr 2018 08:15 #1

• Taps
  • Taps's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sportsman
  • Sportsman
After fixing up a DT2 and '73 MX360 to sell, I've decided I'm going to keep my recently acquired '74 MX360 to do some AHRMA racing.

I snagged it at Diamond Don's this past weekend, and while it is mostly complete and original, it definitely has needs. I do also have the stock exhaust and engine covers along with a pile of other parts in a box that came with the bike.

And yes, forks are currently swapped side-to-side and one is turned inside out too.
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Makotosun, Hammer, Snglsmkr, Pillsbury

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last Edit: by Taps.

'74 MX360 AHRMA Project 16 Apr 2018 08:31 #2

• Pillsbury
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor
Good to hear!

1970 DT1-C Grand Prix race bike
1970 DT1-C Dirt bike
1968 Honda CL90
1971 Honda Sl 125
1973 Honda CR250
1974 Honda MR-50
1966 Triumph Tiger Cub
1967 Moto Guzzi V700

'74 MX360 AHRMA Project 17 Apr 2018 00:08 #3

• Hammer
  • Collector
  • Collector
Taps,

Did you happen to meet/see a gal cleaning up on the Open (500) Class on a Maico? She would go by the name of Char (Char393 on AllThingsMoto.com), and may have been seen relaxing in a Black Team Maico sweater I gave her from when I was racing for Maico GmbH in Germany. She's GREAT people, BTW!

Oops--just found out she's riding a sponsored CZ these days, but she was most definitely at Diamond Don's!

Hammer

"Who, More than Self, His Country Loved."
Last Edit: by Hammer.

'74 MX360 AHRMA Project 17 Apr 2018 07:58 #4

• Taps
  • Sportsman
  • Sportsman
I guess I didn't see her if she was on a CZ! There was another woman on a Maico that was making good time, and that is who I would have guess you were talking about.

How about the weather Friday night?

'74 MX360 AHRMA Project 17 Apr 2018 14:33 #5

• Taps
  • Sportsman
  • Sportsman
After checking over the bike last night, looks like I need a new cdi. I've decided to swap to a '79 yz400 setup once I find one.

I put the forks on correctly, and the front wheel no longer has the odd wiggle it had when I bought it.

Aside from cleaning everything up and revamping the suspension, it looks like I also need to reattach the brake lever stop tab as it is MIA.

The other odd thing is the stud that extends from the splined boss of the left footpeg mounting boss has been cut off. I'm guessing the nut was mangled at some point, and well, they cut it off. I suppose the most reasonable way to deal with that is to drill and tap the peg boss so I can use the YZ style retaining bolt. The peg appears well affixed at the moment, but I'd hate for a peg to work loose on me.

I also went through the box of parts that came with the bike and found a fair number of the items missing from my bike. I also came across a bunch of parts that clearly do not belong with this one. I guess I got the guy's entire parts stash.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Pillsbury

'74 MX360 AHRMA Project 17 Apr 2018 23:44 #6

• Hammer
  • Collector
  • Collector
Taps,

I never was able to go to "Dandy Dons" myself. The sweater and a factory manual for the Maico AW400 were mailed to her in Texas from San Diego (she used to live here, too). My last race was in Oct 2014, a Dist. 38 desert race on a 1973 Yamaha 250MX (which is now part of the Roundy family collection and can be seen at San Diego's Fun Bike Center--not a dealer I'd EVER say a good word about, but hey, it had to go somewhere, right?).

Hammer

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Steve F, Pillsbury

Last Edit: by Hammer.

'74 MX360 AHRMA Project 20 Apr 2018 11:12 #7

• Taps
  • Sportsman
  • Sportsman
Air filter question:

I ordered a new uni filter to replace the K&N, but the currently installed K&N has a round top cap. What this means for me is that I don't have a top cap to fit a stock shaped filter. Is there a filter that will let me use the round cap? Are there any end cap options other than the currently listed $95 option on ebay?

'74 MX360 AHRMA Project 20 Apr 2018 11:28 #8

• Taps
  • Sportsman
  • Sportsman
This is what I'm working with:

Attachments:

'74 MX360 AHRMA Project 21 Apr 2018 23:26 #9

• Hammer
  • Collector
  • Collector
Taps,

I have a stock foam air cleaner with insert, but no top. If you need either, all I need is your snail-mail address, and it's yours.

Hammer
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Snglsmkr

'74 MX360 AHRMA Project 22 Apr 2018 03:32 #10

• Taps
  • Sportsman
  • Sportsman
I appreciate it, but I think I'm going to end up with duplicates of that when I end up buying a complete filter housing/inner fender assy off eBay to get the pieces I need. That seems the most reasonable way I've found so far to get it. Thanks again for the offer though.

Speaking of the inner cage piece, I guess you simply set that aside when using the uni filter that has a structure inside already? Strange way to sell a replacement filter.

Moderators: DEETDevinDmanEnduronutMakotosunVinnieyamadminJames Hart