facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram google plus linkedin1 pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

Dt2mx cracked crankcase/clutch pin cover

10 Oct 2017 17:24
Quinnhog
More
Topic Author
Dt2mx cracked crankcase/clutch pin cover #1
Hey when I got my bike the right crankcase was split right about where the spring connects, In an offer to "repair" it I screwed in metal supports and jb welded it.
Unfortunately I don't think my "repair" held up too well, when I pull the clutch lever it doesn't engage, in fact I can see the cover bulge out a little bit.

My question is how much pressure does it take to engage the clutch? when I pull the lever it seems like it would be plenty, or is something else wrong in the actual clutch?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 Oct 2017 23:56
RT325
Collector
Collector
More
Dt2mx cracked crankcase/clutch pin cover #2
Maybe i'm miss-understanding the problem?, the clutch lifter is on the 'Left' & has a pin with a spring attached to help it return fully. It cover the front sprocket as well. I'll put up a pic of mine which is a DT2MX cover like yours should be except i have my one on my old rat bike RT2. Pics of what you repaired would be good if possible. Anything broken in the operating mechanism on the 'Left' would need to be welded to stand the operating pressure involved when pulling the clutch in.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

11 Oct 2017 00:18 11 Oct 2017 00:20 by RT325.
RT325
Collector
Collector
More
Dt2mx cracked crankcase/clutch pin cover #3
Here's a random pic showing the inside of the cover & can see where the pin goes to hook the spring on. Let's know if i'm totaly on the wrong track & your problem is over the other side.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You Quinnhog

11 Oct 2017 07:49
Quinnhog
More
Topic Author
Dt2mx cracked crankcase/clutch pin cover #4
Yes, sorry that is the correct piece, I would have said left but the parts diagram had a R next to it so I assumed it meant right, but probably means rear?
So it does take more pressure than any diy putty or jb weld can hold, Is there an easy way to source a cover? Or is best bet taking it some where to be welded? Thank you for your help

11 Oct 2017 15:52
RT325
Collector
Collector
More
Dt2mx cracked crankcase/clutch pin cover #5
Hi, be best to get another cover but hell they look expensive on ebay & need about 3 as keep swapping one around my fleet of rat bikes. Any cover from a any model from the first DT1 in "68 to the last DT/RT3 in "73 will fit & that includes DT2MX & RT2MX plus YZ250/YZ360A & B. Basicaly all the early shape motor. Otherwise make something using a worn out of an RD400 or numerous models with the same system. You'll have to bore out the external old worm that's part of the case then insert the completer inner outer set up & screw it in place. I've done it on one of mine but was an RT2 type cover where on reflection yours has a cap over the end rather than an outer little cover held by two screws & on mine by memory the two screws lined up with the outer piece of the new parts i was inserting. Something like that. If yours is broken in a different way, then i give up lol. Have another beer & think about it. One thing also is if you use a DT/RT cover then the pushrod might be a fraction too short as sits out slightly further. Think you can see that but in reverse on my bike pic as sits slightly in from the mag cover on mine--DT2MX cover on an RT2. anyway--i'll drink to that--forgotten what i'm drinking too now!!.

Moderators: DEETDevinDmanEnduronutMakotosunVinnieyamadminJames Hart