facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

MX100 IGNITION

Replied by RT325 on topic MX100 IGNITION

Hey, more changes but all good if i read it right--everything is linked. Be most interested to see how the lights go. I think they'll work & reach a limit without a regulator to save the bulbs because i think they're wound to limit out at a sensible voltage for the 6 volt ac ignition. That's my guess anyway. But i experimented once using a lighting coil for ignition & worked off the lowest output wire. The higher voltage wires sent the points into arc welder mode. That was years ago in desperate times haha. But i have wondered how that same trick would have worked using the higher output wires but with a single wire regultor to limit output. Maybe an adjustable regulator to find the upper limit of what the points can handle. Interesting things you have going on. Keen to know what happens.
20 Jan 2022 15:13 #31

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Mkdxxx
  • Mkdxxx's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by Mkdxxx on topic MX100 IGNITION

I have voltage at the plug cap...no spark but plug could be bad.  DC voltage correct?

only guessing with the lighting coil...may have to adjust the windings.  its maybe 3 volt coming out right now.  My goal would be to run a led light if I can step it up enough.
Do just wire kill switch into lead coming out?
20 Jan 2022 17:10 #32

Plug lead voltage will be crazy high like many thousands. But to be honest i've never checked one so i don't know if DC or AC. Think it'd be AC but hope someone can put me right?. I've got a genuine Yamaha meter with a plug lead function but never had to used it in 50 years to the details. I'll see what it says in the instructions later. Talking AC or DC it starts off as AC from the stator that's for sure.
21 Jan 2022 13:55 #33

• Mkdxxx

Bending king with the ignition I've been dinking with the ignition system and sureI still don't have any spark so I'm gonna take it back apart and see if I've got something not hooked up right...bummer bummer bummer
21 Jan 2022 23:17 #34

i dunno, providing coil points & condenser meet up somewhere before [or even right at] the single & only wire into the plug coil then gotta spark. But, points have to be opening & closing plus be making contact when closed. Bit hard to be sure looking at your pics but is the wire into the points not getting grounded somewhere. Is the insulating washer on both sides of the post thingy & is the slall fiber washer in there to keep the small terminal bolt central I s the points spring in top of the fiber-not under it & being earthed. Does look like you have it right in the darkish pic. Out of sensible suggestions at the mo.
22 Jan 2022 00:43 #35

• Mkdxxx

Spark achieved!  Now to play with a lighting coil.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Gr8uncleal
26 Jan 2022 19:46 #36

Moderators: yamadminEnduronutMakotosunDEETVinnieDevinJames Hart