facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

WTB: '77 DT250/400 tach and/or speedo

• ballvo
  • ballvo's Avatar Topic Author
I'm mainly in need of a tach for a '77 DT250 (1M1-83540-F0-00) as I don't have one..

It looks like a '78-79 might also work. They both have 4 idiot lights on the tach face but slightly different size and location of the "oil" and "high beam" indicators on later years. I'd consider any other year that would fit as well since this isn't a restoration but just a rider I'd like to get street legal.

I have a speedo but not sure if it works so I'd also consider a matching set.

Anybody able to help out?? Thx.

N.
26 Apr 2018 13:21 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Bobv07662 on topic WTB: '77 DT250/400 tach and/or speedo

A 77 tach is a one year only item. They are not the same as 78 and up. The 77 has no metal trim band, and sits flat on its metal bracket. The later instruments feature a metal trim band and are angle mounted on a plastic bracket.
26 Apr 2018 18:52 #2

• ballvo

Replied by ballvo on topic WTB: '77 DT250/400 tach and/or speedo

Thanks for the info, Bobv. My search indicated that it's a one-year only item but that it came on both the DT250 and 400 models in '77.

I checked last night and it appears I have neither '77 meter but the flat bracket is still there. I also have the later, angle mounted bracket with a speedo attached plus one other speedo. I don't recall details of the trim bands but the two speedos are different.

My main objective is to get a speedo and tach mounted, and preferably working, so I can get this thing roadworthy. I'm not particular on them being correct for the year.
27 Apr 2018 12:22 #3

Replied by Bobv07662 on topic WTB: '77 DT250/400 tach and/or speedo

If you look on ebay there are usually matched pairs of used 1978-81 DT175, DT250 and DT400 instruments with brackets available. They will all plug into your wiring and cables. The DT175 tachs have higher redlines.
27 Apr 2018 16:22 #4

Replied by FrankC on topic WTB: '77 DT250/400 tach and/or speedo

You have both brackets as pictured in this link post # 10. Do both mount to your bike and work with the key switch.
www.yamaha-enduros.com/index.php/forum/1...meter-bracket-damper
Do you need 77 or 78 gauges, both speedeo and tach?
Last edit: 27 Apr 2018 19:56 by FrankC.
27 Apr 2018 16:23 #5

What about this for cheap. Mount on 2 strips of metal or strip to original bolt holes on triple tree. Polish to luster chrome body of gauges. The seller said he could provide key. Good to know if your key switch won't work with the bracket. Here are the new dampers for the gauges if needed-
www.kdirepros.com/Speedometer-Damper-Tac.../438-83592-00-00.htm

Disregard- no low oil level and no neutral or turn signal- Not sure which one of the latter.
Last edit: 27 Apr 2018 23:48 by FrankC.
27 Apr 2018 23:26 #6

• ballvo

Hey FrankC,
Thanks for these images. Parts diagrams that I've seen (Partzilla, etc.) for the '77 vs '78-'79 use the same drawings but different part nos. so unable to use them to differentiate the actual appearance of the brackets.

I do have both brackets pictured in post #10 of the link you provided. I also had the speedo for that bracket and have just picked up, at a swap meet, the matching tach for the later model bracket so I'm good to go .... almost.

The metal '77 bracket has two mounting tabs off the bottom of it (in addition to the two that mount to the upper triple). These bolt to the top of the headlight 'cage' and only have the clearance to do so by the fact that the threaded cable mounts come straight off the back of the '77 gauges.

The plastic '78 bracket appears to only mount to the upper triple (ie. it doesn't have the two tabs off the bottom of the bracket). To further complicate the swap the '78 gauges have the threaded cable mounts coming off at an angle (toward the rear of the bike) roughly where something is needed to bolt it to the headlight 'cage' on the '77.

I just picked up the tach and haven't yet pulled things apart to see how I can adapt the '78 bracket to the '77 triple tree and headlight bracket. I'll see what I can come up with and, hopefully, put the finishing touches on this mix 'n match puzzle (w/photos).

Cheers,
N.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: FrankC
15 May 2018 13:50 #7

• ballvo

I had a bit of time last night to pull things apart and assess. Things went a bit easier than I had anticipated.

First, the ignition switches are interchangeable between the two brackets. Not sure what I was thinking but the angled '78-'79 gauge bracket combined with the angle of the threaded cable mounts on the gauges means that the cable mounts are effectively pointing straight down (similar to the flat '77 bracket with cable mounts coming straight off the back of the gauges) , so there's no issues with connecting tach and speedo cables.

I had to re-route some of the wiring (LH controls, ignition switch wiring and lighting harness from speedo) from the upper access hole in the headlight bucket to the lower hole since things were a bit too tight for my liking when getting the bucket back in place.

That left the issue of the free-floating upper portion of the headlight 'cage'. I started mocking up a pair of bent brackets to tie the upper mounting points on the 'cage' to the bracket mounts on the upper triple tree (beneath the bracket) but it was taking more time than I liked since the holes are offset and the bend required wasn't at 90 degrees, requiring trial and error to get something close.

At that point I had a Eureka! moment and came up with the idea of using some 1/2" metal strapping that I had on hand. It's flexible enough to bolt on at each end and then gently tap into shape (which is seems to retain). Just had to enlarge the holes at each end to accept the M6 bolts. The headlight feels pretty rigid and fixed in place but I plan to keep an eye on it to see if the strapping will hold up to the vibration and bashing about on the trails. If need be I can easily replace with something a little heavier.

Here's the results:

As luck would have it, I also picked up a set of stock rear signal lights at the swap meet, from the same guy. This thing is almost ready for the road.
16 May 2018 14:04 #8

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Very nice work. I am sure this thread will make life easier for someone else in the same position- that is if the 77's are unavailable someone can use a 78 bracket on their 77. There were many more of the 78 and later brackets made. I also learned something from your thread. Thank's much.
16 May 2018 17:09 #9

• ballvo

Thanks, Frank. It's a pleasure to contribute something to the forum - I know I've been 'educated' by many posts like this from other members.

Do you think maybe I should create a post with the problem and my solution to it somewhere a little more appropriate or visible? I'm thinking that people looking for tips wouldn't necessarily be searching around the buy and sell department.

Cheers,
Neil
17 May 2018 07:56 #10

Moderators: yamadminEnduronutMakotosunDEETVinnieDevinJames Hart