facebook1   youtube1   twitter1   instagram   linkedin1   pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

WTB - Turn Signals/Switch/Flasher for '69 AT1E

07 Jan 2021 18:01
mtalley11
Content Contributor
Content Contributor
More
Topic Author
WTB - Turn Signals/Switch/Flasher for '69 AT1E #1
Looking to add turn signals to my 69 AT1E. Would love to source correct and complete "kit" parts that might have been originally available as accessories for this bike. Bike appears to be pre-wired to add them but needs proper 12V front/rear signals, correct handlebar switch (with H/L, L/R, Horn) and flasher unit. If anyone has these items for sale, please send me a PM. Not looking for show quality but something in good enough usable condition for a nice looking runner. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

07 Jan 2021 18:56
Mothersbaugh
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
More
WTB - Turn Signals/Switch/Flasher for '69 AT1E #2
Complete sets in good condition usually are priced at $175-$200 on ebay. They don't last long either. NIB sets I think might go $250-$300. You might put together a set by buying individual items, but I think you're going to pay through the nose for those, too.
Someone on here had a bushel basket full of turn signals. Who was that? Maybe they'll part with some, but I'd bet it's now part of their 401K.
The following user(s) Liked this Post mtalley11

07 Jan 2021 20:05
mtalley11
Content Contributor
Content Contributor
More
Topic Author
WTB - Turn Signals/Switch/Flasher for '69 AT1E #3
LOL. I know this to be true! Spent much time searching online and nada worthwhile so far. One of my frustrations is I'm not exactly sure which exact parts I'm looking for. I see parts for other early enduro models (mostly CT/DT) that look like they "might" be right but are spec'd for 6V systems and I'm 12V. After much fruitless searching on and off over the last few months, I thought I might as well try here on the off chance someone "in the know" might have a hidden stash for sale. I'm willing to part with some of my 401K for same (within reason). Or maybe somebody knows another model I should look to for the same parts? I'm a bit picky in one respect; the switch and signals really want to be aluminum/chrome look with silver/gray wire sheathing. Later models appear mostly painted black, so they just won't do!

07 Jan 2021 20:23
MarkT
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
WTB - Turn Signals/Switch/Flasher for '69 AT1E #4
I'm pretty sure that only the early JDM models came with signals as they were required in Japan and not required in the USA.

Do you have the original high-low beam switch and horn button? Sort of a sheet-metal looking thing... if you do, it might pay for the later switch and lights if you sold it.

I have a ton of stuff but due to some issues I can't promise I can search anytime soon. I have a few things I need to find for people so as soon as I can I will look for what I might have.

I can let you know that you don't need to worry about 6 volt or 12 volt. 12 volt cuts the amps in half so a 6 volt switch only sees half the load at the contacts when used with 12 volts. The lights are capable of using a 6v or 12v bulb.

DEET (This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.) might have a nice refurbished switch... and sometimes on ebay you can find chrome looking lights that look similar to original for cheap... but I'd buy two sets... quality is not always great and even with the original lights they tend to break very easy if the bike falls over.

Does the frame have the tabs to mount rear signals?

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250

07 Jan 2021 23:48 07 Jan 2021 23:48 by Gr8uncleal.
Gr8uncleal
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
WTB - Turn Signals/Switch/Flasher for '69 AT1E #5
In addition to the helpful replies that you have had so far, check out my comments on the attached thread. If the 1969 Japanese model used the same left switchgear as the slightly later US ones, then all my points are valid. The trick for finding inexpensive parts using this method is to ignore what a vendor says the parts are for and just look at the photos and see if it's what you want.

Where were you intending mounting the front indicators? The ones for the Japanese market were mounted on the fork ears/headlight, just like the road bikes. If you go this route, there will be more indicators available than for the handlebar mounted ones and they will be cheaper.

Finally, have a scan through listings titled "miscellaneous", "job lot" and all permutations etc - it's amazing what turns up in those.

Good hunting.

yamaha-enduros.com/index.php/forums/1972...dt2-lh-handle-switch

08 Jan 2021 01:07
Pete-RT1
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
More
WTB - Turn Signals/Switch/Flasher for '69 AT1E #6
It's likely that the front indicators for a 1969 model would have been mounted on the headlight mount for that year.
Looking at the handlebar mounted ones, the bikes they are listed for on CMSNL are 1971 onwards, not conclusive, but probably right.
The ones for my RT1 (1970) are also mounted on the headlight.
This should give you a few more options when trying to find similar indicators.
The used fronts on my RT1 were listed for a FS1E but fit and look fine.
The original deep lenses are still available.
I have aftermarket replicas on the back of my RT1 and CT1-C from Yambits and I fitted the original lenses to them.
I did have to re-tap the threads for the lenses as the aftermarket ones had a diferent thread pitch and the longer screws needed didn't fit.
Good luck, look forward to seeing the results.

Yamaha RT-1
Yamaha CT1-B
Yamaha CT1-C
Honda XR250

08 Jan 2021 05:12 08 Jan 2021 05:21 by mtalley11.
mtalley11
Content Contributor
Content Contributor
More
Topic Author
WTB - Turn Signals/Switch/Flasher for '69 AT1E #7
Thanks for all the ideas folks! I do have the tabs in back in addition to two single wires under the seat that look to be waiting for rear signals.

I currently only have the toggle H/L & horn switch up front. There are extra holes on the headlight bucket that look like they might be ready for light stalks? Not sure about that but there are two extra single wires in the bucket that appear to be part of signals circuit.

No flasher on bike and uncertain where it would be mounted or wired in.

I'll do some more looking based on your comments. Thanks so much! If anyone happens to have any of the correct parts for sale (especially the correct switch) let me know before I pay some eBay vendor an exorbitant amount. I'm preferring original Yamaha parts (used or new) for this build as much as possible even though I know they will cost more.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

08 Jan 2021 05:23
1971DT250
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
WTB - Turn Signals/Switch/Flasher for '69 AT1E #8

Mothersbaugh wrote: Complete sets in good condition usually are priced at $175-$200 on ebay. They don't last long either. NIB sets I think might go $250-$300. You might put together a set by buying individual items, but I think you're going to pay through the nose for those, too.
Someone on here had a bushel basket full of turn signals. Who was that? Maybe they'll part with some, but I'd bet it's now part of their 401K.

You might be talking about me. I have many for the DT/RT. All are NOS or early take off. The front are the same, they clamp to the handlebar (US models). The rear are different, you need to look for AT/CT rear. All of mine have 6V bulbs. Easy to change them with 12V as MarkT said.

Send me a PM.

The hours spent riding my Enduros is not deducted from my life span.

This message has an attachment image.

08 Jan 2021 05:35
Gr8uncleal
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
WTB - Turn Signals/Switch/Flasher for '69 AT1E #9
How "original" are you looking to go?

The reason I ask is that I have what looks like a refurbished and complete Yamaha YHA206 left switchgear. Apart from one slight moulding difference on the top, at first glance it looks identical to the YHA205.

I am in the UK and I can let you have it for £50 (about $68) posted. I'll post comparison photos later.

08 Jan 2021 06:01 08 Jan 2021 06:04 by Gr8uncleal.
Gr8uncleal
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
WTB - Turn Signals/Switch/Flasher for '69 AT1E #10

Gr8uncleal wrote: How "original" are you looking to go?

The reason I ask is that I have what looks like a refurbished and complete Yamaha YHA206 left switchgear. Apart from one slight moulding difference on the top, at first glance it looks identical to the YHA205.

I am in the UK and I can let you have it for £50 (about $68) posted. I'll post comparison photos later.

Photos as promised.

The first one is switchgear ref YHA205 as fitted to my 1972 RT2. The following two are of my spare YHA206. To the naked eye it is a slightly darker colour and might be a smidge wider.

It is wired for a European RD125 or similar, which is why the wires are so long (they mate with the main loom under the petrol tank). Obviously the protective sheath will need changing (to silver/grey, get this from DEET), as will the connectors and I am not sure whether or not the lights on/off switch needs removing and blanking off.

If nothing else, this is food for thought and shows what work you might have to carry out.

This message has attachments images.

Moderators: yamadminEnduronutMakotosunDEETVinnieDevinJames Hart
G-Y97Q3KKWBV