facebook1   youtube1   twitter1   instagram   linkedin1   pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

WTB: DT/RT magneto assembly needed for a '68 DT1

20 Nov 2020 11:28
nhsteve
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
Topic Author
WTB: DT/RT magneto assembly needed for a '68 DT1 #1
Guys I am in need of a complete flywheel mag assembly, stator and rotor, that can be used for my '68 DT1 rebuild.

Please PM me if you have one and wish to part with it.

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

20 Nov 2020 15:41 20 Nov 2020 16:04 by Enduronut.
Enduronut
Founder Moderator
Founder Moderator
More
WTB: DT/RT magneto assembly needed for a '68 DT1 #2

Hi Steve . . .

Allow me save you some time, money, and frustration, by sharing with you some little known information about the Mag on your 68 DT1 model.

You have a "very early" production 68 DT1, which had a different crankshaft and magneto set-up, then all the later ones.
I know yours is one of these early bikes, because your flywheel has eight rivets holding it together, while all later ones have six.

The first bikes made, (a couple thousand) had a shorter crankshaft spindle that the flywheel mounts to.

You will likely have great difficulty locating one of these early magneto system's (that must be used on your bike), so you may be forced to restore what you've got.

The only other way out of this dilemma, is to install a later DT1 crankshaft and matching magneto, that uses the longer snout.

Hope this info helps
Dave / Enduronut

Control your thoughts . . . or your thoughts will control you!.
You can't accomplish . . . what you haven't dreamed!
Don't aim . . . and you'll hit your target every time!
A wise man knows . . . he isn't!
Failure squared . . . equals success!
The following user(s) Liked this Post MarkT, t-bone, Bigdog302, swm, Swoop56, HouseofEnduro, nhsteve, Jack

21 Nov 2020 04:51
RT325
Collector
Collector
More
WTB: DT/RT magneto assembly needed for a '68 DT1 #3
Umm, gosh, ok i'm still learning---. All my 6 rivets broke off & the flywheel escaped on my RT1. Last seen bouncing across the infield at a roadrace 40 years ago. Was running without the cover so no damage done, except no spark.

21 Nov 2020 11:46
nhsteve
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
Topic Author
WTB: DT/RT magneto assembly needed for a '68 DT1 #4

Enduronut wrote: .

Hi Steve . . .

Allow me save you some time, money, and frustration, by sharing with you some little known information about the Mag on your 68 DT1 model.

You have a "very early" production 68 DT1, which had a different crankshaft and magneto set-up, then all the later ones.
I know yours is one of these early bikes, because your flywheel has eight rivets holding it together, while all later ones have six.

The first bikes made, (a couple thousand) had a shorter crankshaft spindle that the flywheel mounts to.

You will likely have great difficulty locating one of these early magneto system's (that must be used on your bike), so you may be forced to restore what you've got.

The only other way out of this dilemma, is to install a later DT1 crankshaft and matching magneto, that uses the longer snout.

Hope this info helps
Dave / Enduronut

I really appreciate that info Dave. As it turns out I sent pics of the stator and rotor to DEET, who indicated it was pretty far gone. I've sourced a stator and rotor, but from a later year. I should have checked here before I bought the pieces (:Ugh ). Well, maybe I'll get those fixed up and have on hand "in case"- ($$$$).

The crank is really gone. Needs everything, although the taper doesn't look awful and the threads for the rotor nut can be chased. Have not gotten the right side cover off yet. If I go by the part numbers I find in the parts manual for the rod, bearing, pin, and washers, I should be ok, right?

I'm going to contact Speed and Sport, who have helped me out before. From their website I see a couple of different part #'s for complete assemblies, a 214-81300-20-00, and a 233-81300-20-00. From what you are saying about the tapers being different, would I expect the 214 to be what I "need", or the higher 233?

At this point I am going to focus on getting the engine repaired, so I can reinstall in the chassis and see it run, before I start renovating other things. Test fit stuff up before I re-paint, etc.

Thanks so much for the help, it is truly appreciated! :OnFire

21 Nov 2020 13:28
MarkT
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
WTB: DT/RT magneto assembly needed for a '68 DT1 #5
It might be worthwhile to find a later crank to rebuild... it would fit the ignition you're buying.

I'd keep the original crank and ignition to possibly recondition later when time/funds permit or maybe someone who wants/needs their bike to be 100% correct could use them.

Here's a snip from the 71 DT1 manual in the Tech Library... it has a section in the back showing some of the differences in the early models. I'm not sure if this is the exact change EN is describing but it sounds like the later crank would be worth installing.

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) Liked this Post nhsteve

22 Nov 2020 07:21 22 Nov 2020 07:33 by nhsteve. Reason: Information added
nhsteve
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
Topic Author
WTB: DT/RT magneto assembly needed for a '68 DT1 #6
Thank you Mark, for confirming what I was thinking about doing. I am kind of "assuming" (hate that word) that the dimensional differences in the shaft diameters and the amount the magneto side extends into the side cover would not change so drastically that fitment would be prohibited. Externally once things were buttoned up, there should be no visible difference to the observer. Kind of like those very stock/standard looking cars that have had a later engine installed. I have no emotional problems with upgrading the internals! :whistle:

Added note- I have spoken for a newer flywheel and stator assembly from eBay. Not exactly sure which year, he says '73, with a DT1F______#.
Need to look that up on the VIN chart to be sure. Going to look for crankshafts today. Need to spend time in the parts books again!!

22 Nov 2020 12:30
MarkT
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
WTB: DT/RT magneto assembly needed for a '68 DT1 #7
If you are getting a crank and hoping for a good rod, make sure you get a 68-71...

Yamaha changed the rod length on the 250 when they went to reed valve in '72....

I'm not that well versed on the 250's but I think the cranks themselves are the same from 68-73 with the exception of the early '68 ignition side difference that EN schooled us about.

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post nhsteve

23 Nov 2020 08:10
nhsteve
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
Topic Author
WTB: DT/RT magneto assembly needed for a '68 DT1 #8

MarkT wrote: If you are getting a crank and hoping for a good rod, make sure you get a 68-71...

Yamaha changed the rod length on the 250 when they went to reed valve in '72....

I'm not that well versed on the 250's but I think the cranks themselves are the same from 68-73 with the exception of the early '68 ignition side difference that EN schooled us about.

Thanks Mark. My head is starting to spin on this topic, for sure! Thanks for pointing that out to me, as I was eyeballing a '73 crank on eBay.

So much to learn............:Coffee

Moderators: yamadminEnduronutMakotosunDEETVinnieDevinJames Hart