facebook1   youtube1   twitter1   instagram   linkedin1   pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

Yamaha RD400 parts wanted please!

24 Oct 2020 10:09 24 Oct 2020 10:10 by Gr8uncleal.
Gr8uncleal
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
Topic Author
Yamaha RD400 parts wanted please! #1
Clearly not enduro related, but we all have other bikes as well and you folks know folks who know folks etc!

What I'm after are the following:-

1) Complete seat for US 1978 model only. This is the one with the plastic tailpiece, but not the Daytona. This seat was fitted to our UK models from 1977 to 1979 inc.
2) Underseat tool tray.
3) Chainguard (should be black painted).

Please let me know if you or any mates have any of these parts for sale.

Seller will have to be willing to post overseas.

Many thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

07 Nov 2020 08:30
nhsteve
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
Yamaha RD400 parts wanted please! #2
Well, I am assuming you are doing a restoration, and not just needing these bits to get your bike going. I did look at eBay just to see, and no joy with the seat (hundreds and hundreds of aftermarket choices, no stockers). I did find this aftermarket chain guard, might do temporarily?

Did you try contacting HVC cycle? The air-cooled Yamahas are kind of what started him off, he may have a stash of bits for sale?

hvccycle.net/

I suspect pretty strongly the '77 seat would go right on, so it could be ridden, if you wanted to do that.
The following user(s) Liked this Post Gr8uncleal

07 Nov 2020 08:32
nhsteve
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More

07 Nov 2020 08:40
mdscott
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
Yamaha RD400 parts wanted please! #4
For a 400cc bike they are fast. :OnFire

Thanks Mark
Roseville, Ca.

'06 GL1800
'98 KDX220
'75 Norton
'73 CB500K
'01 Honda CT110
'87 PW50
'64 McClane Edger
'02 Honda XR80R

07 Nov 2020 10:06
Gr8uncleal
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
Topic Author
Yamaha RD400 parts wanted please! #5
Thanks Steve.

As it happens, this past week I managed to put together a bulk buy for everything except the seat from a US fleabay seller.

A few weeks back, the seller in Australia also had a seat without the tailpiece, but after further investigation it turned out to be one for the Daytona model. Had it been the correct one, I would have had the tool tray as well.

The 1976 and 1977 seat will fit, but it just isn't the correct one. I have a Giuliari seat that I can use until the correct one comes along.

So, everyone, keep those eyes peeled for a 1978 seat - post links to Craigslist etc!! :likey

10 Nov 2020 06:01
nhsteve
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
Yamaha RD400 parts wanted please! #6

mdscott wrote: For a 400cc bike they are fast. :OnFire

I have a '77 myself, and yes, very quick for their size. Mine is essentially stock, aside from rebuilding the brakes front and rear and using Spiegler S/S lines. Lower bars. Oh, and a boost bottle (it was on sale), not sure it adds all that much, but it doesn't go any worse at any rate! I found a better set of exhaust pipes, so they are on now (still stock). A previous owner deleted all the stickers, so it goes incognito now.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

10 Nov 2020 09:35
Gr8uncleal
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
Topic Author
Yamaha RD400 parts wanted please! #7
If you want to be a little different for over your side of the "pond", you could buy some European market decals (Canada had similar).

Two pictures below - the first is mine when I first got it (correct decals, but yellow wasn't a standard colour) and the second is what I want to get it to. The Marine Blue was a UK only colour - I have found an oil tank and right side cover and am on the lookout for the tank. I have also found the correct frame (the one in the picture is the later one, similar to the Daytona), silencers and clocks.

The 1978 US model seat that I'm after is for my RD250E.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Moderators: yamadminEnduronutMakotosunDEETVinnieDevinJames Hart