facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

TY175 clutch adjuster

• PDXtyist
  • PDXtyist's Avatar Topic Author
  • Content Contributor
  • Content Contributor

TY175 clutch adjuster was created by PDXtyist

Lubed cable and attempted to readjust clutch lever. I'll try to ride and test this as soon as finish a few other things on the bike.
I am curious though about how to adjust the clutch lever. The OEM Manual and the Haynes book are really confusing. I am not too sure what the purpose is of the lever moving up and down as the adjuster screw is turned.
Thanks for any input.
17 Jan 2018 19:52 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by MarkT on topic TY175 clutch adjuster

The clutch actuator on that model has a screw with an offset pin that rides in the groove where I've drawn the arrow. Turning the screw raises and lowers the entire actuator.

The area where I've drawn the red oval is the area the pushes on the internal clutch pushrod... notice how it is "wedge shaped" getting thicker as you get closer to the end? As you raise the actuator with the eccentric screw you are bringing that wedge up and reducing the gap between the actuator and the pushrod. Lowering the actuator increases the gap. So by raising or lowering the actuator you can set the internal play between the actuator and the pushrod... too much play and the clutch will still drag with lever pulled... too little play and the clutch will slip.

Hope that makes sense!

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
Last edit: 17 Jan 2018 21:54 by MarkT.
17 Jan 2018 21:44 #2

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

• RT325
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Replied by RT325 on topic TY175 clutch adjuster

Perfect description!!. The only thing i'll add [sorry MarkT] is you only have a half turn to play with but if you keep screwing in you'll bottom the adjuster out not necessarily up--or down but could be anywhere in between. So if it goes tight by going too far then back it off till you get the half turn up & down but everything still free to operate. By going tight i think the pin will be bottoming in the grove, or the threaded part is going through to touch. same end result of binding up. There, that makes me feel better lol.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT
17 Jan 2018 22:09 #3

• PDXtyist
  • PDXtyist's Avatar Topic Author
  • Content Contributor
  • Content Contributor

Replied by PDXtyist on topic TY175 clutch adjuster

Excellent discussion.
I think it'll make a lot more sense when I readjust later. The clutch seems to operate very well so I will leave it be.
For "instutional knowledge" maybe a step by step with photos would be beneficial. Thank you sirs. Good stuff!
21 Jan 2018 07:59 #4

Moderators: yamadminEnduronutMakotosunDEETVinnieDevinJames Hart