facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

TY175C ignition timing issue

Replied by MarkT on topic TY175C ignition timing issue

Congratulations!!!

Setting points at 0.015" is "quick and dirty" method to get it running.

I know you probably won't believe me once again but the most important thing is that the points open at the correct time. Period.

Point gap is given as a "range" because once you have the TIMING set (points just open when piston is the correct distance BTDC), then you measure the maximum point gap (which will occur within the "window). If maximum point gap is within the specified range, you are good to go! If the maximum point gap is not within spec, you have a wear or other problem with your points (this is rare).

(If you set the timing and then adjust the point gap, your timing will now be wrong as changing point gap changes timing on your bike)
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
09 Jan 2018 20:24 #11

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• PDXtyist
  • PDXtyist's Avatar Topic Author
  • Content Contributor
  • Content Contributor

Replied by PDXtyist on topic TY175C ignition timing issue

Thank you MarkT
In you last sentence about “setting the timing” I get a bit confused as on my TY175C there is no way to set timing. Only point gap at BTDC. s the stator plate is fixed.
When I get home from work I’ll give her a few kicks to see.
Thanks for your parience.
09 Jan 2018 20:59 #12

Replied by MarkT on topic TY175C ignition timing issue

If you adjust the maximum point gap to be wider, you just advanced the timing... in other words, the points will start to open sooner and the spark will happen sooner than when the maximum point gap was narrower. Make sense yet? If not, set max gap at 0.010". Check the flywheel position when the points start to open. Now set max gap to 0.030". You will see that the points open much sooner.

So you can and need to adjust the points so they just start to open when the piston is exactly the correct distance BTDC.

So forget about "gap"... just focus on getting the points to just start to open at the right place.
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
09 Jan 2018 21:22 #13

• RT325
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Replied by RT325 on topic TY175C ignition timing issue

Yep think what MarkT is saying is don't worry within reason how wide or close the points end up at maximum lift but set them to 'just' start breaking at the timing distance btdc [1.8mm]. In theory with new points then max gap should be within spec. Good idea to know how wide they 'do get' from getting an idea how worn the fiber heal might be but timing is more important than gap. I've forgotten where this started out but if you put an analogue ohm meter set on 'one ohm' on the black wire up to the main coil then you should see a slight needle movement as the points break. Just get that breaking point at 1.8mm [72 thou] btdc. Nowdays i often wonder how desperately important accurate timing is when all these modern bikes have a flick of a switch on the bar to alter timing for different performance characteristics. I'd guess it's more important to 'not have it' over advanced than slightly the other way or bad things happen. Happy to be corrected at any time of course as get a bit sidetracked with my own dodgy methods that work for me lol. Haven't done any of mine for a while but maximum lift is probably around or not far past tdc but have seen strangley worn or strangely manufactured cams [maybe not yamaha] where they climb higher than normal just before closing but if you chase the max lift at that point you'll never get it opening at the right point for timing. Confused?--i am.
09 Jan 2018 21:54 #14

• PDXtyist
  • Content Contributor
  • Content Contributor

Aaha now I see! Got it!
Thanks so much for clarifying the issue. Sometimes one simply needs to talk about things. We can read till blue in the face! Sorry to put you through all of this. Your patience is appreciated!
10 Jan 2018 08:39 #15

• PDXtyist
  • Content Contributor
  • Content Contributor

Thank all of you. Got things set up and fired the bike up. She only took 3 kicks and started, reved well.
I'll tighten up the flywheel and put the case back on and ride her.
Also, I lubed the clutch cable and attempted to readjust it. I think it's ok.
Last edit: 17 Jan 2018 19:36 by PDXtyist.
17 Jan 2018 19:34 #16

• RT325
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Replied by RT325 on topic TY175C ignition timing issue

Might've said, do that flywheel up TIGHT. Not just in gear with the brake on trick as they love to shear keys off especially with a heavy flywheel.
17 Jan 2018 22:14 #17

• PDXtyist
  • Content Contributor
  • Content Contributor

Yep, thank you RT, torqued to specs using a tool I made levered against foot peg.
She started right away and ran excellently. Less smoke, more spunk. Thanks all of you!

21 Jan 2018 07:52 #18

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Moderators: yamadminEnduronutMakotosunDEETVinnieDevinJames Hart