facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram google plus linkedin1 pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: New Toy, DR350

New Toy, DR350 09 Aug 2018 20:53 #1

• darinm
  • darinm's Avatar Topic Author
  • Collector
  • Collector
The recent poll about favorite Yamaha's got me dreaming of a modern equivalent to the loved CT series, and a 90 mile ride with ~ 40 of that being on rough dirt road had me a little sore on my CT2. This popped up on craigslist and was two blocks away, $1,400 and has whole lot more travel. From the reading I did, it's kind of the modern CT2, not considered sexy yet cheap, reliable and just the right size - although it feels tall as I've never ridden anything new that 1974 before :) First bike younger than I am is now in the driveway; it's a '94. Sure isn't as beautiful as a vintage bike though!
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Hammer, FrankC, Pillsbury

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1972 Yamaha CT2 175
1972 Suzuki TS185 Sierra
1995 Suzuki DR350

New Toy, DR350 09 Aug 2018 22:20 #2

• RT325
  • Collector
  • Collector
Wow that looks mint!!, looks like high road gearing too which will possibly still be low enough in first for tricky trail riding situations. Good score--electric start too.

New Toy, DR350 09 Aug 2018 23:02 #3

• Mothersbaugh
  • Collector
  • Collector
You will like it! I have the Yamaha version of that bike: the XT-350. Excellent all-round bike. Every time I think I might sell it, I come to my senses! Fortunately.

New Toy, DR350 10 Aug 2018 09:54 #4

• darinm
  • Collector
  • Collector
@RT325 I'd heard they were pretty hard to kick start so I was happy to see it was electric. Not sure about the gearing, just rode it home and waiting on a new battery as it needed a jump start.

I saw an XT-350 on CL and searching about that got me turned onto the DR, saw this one down the street decided on that route simply because of aftermarket part availability and the big following they have. Seller kept laughing about how old it was while I laughed it seems so new to one accustomed to the older bikes. Seemed to be the general opinion that the DR350 > XT 350 yet XT 225 > DR250. Who knows though, location was everything on this, the ease of walking down and riding it home was great.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: 2fishkev, Hammer, liferbiker

1972 Yamaha CT2 175
1972 Suzuki TS185 Sierra
1995 Suzuki DR350
Last Edit: by darinm.

New Toy, DR350 16 May 2019 19:17 #5

• darinm
  • Collector
  • Collector
In the literal heat of the moment (Camp Fire evacuation), I chose to save the Yamaha CT2 over the Suzuki DR350, although I'd paid more for the DR350, it isn't a piece of history. The DR350 was only a month or two old (to me) and I'd put a Acerbis Tank and Kouba Link on it, as I'm only 5'6". One ride with the lower link on it before the fire...

As circumstances happened, a friend had a DR350 sitting around that he hadn't used in years, so he was kind enough to sell it to me. She was pretty stock and needed a small amount of work.

From previous experience I knew what I'd want and ordered an Acerbis tank again, as well as the Kouba lowering link and splurged for a Seat Concepts seat and rear rack. Six months after the fire she was all together and it was time for a nice little tour by our old house, then up some dirt roads to Highway 32 and the Deer Creek watershed.

A pair of DR350.

Deer Creek watershed off Highway 32 in Northern California.
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Badger52

1972 Yamaha CT2 175
1972 Suzuki TS185 Sierra
1995 Suzuki DR350

New Toy, DR350 16 May 2019 19:22 #6

• Mothersbaugh
  • Collector
  • Collector
I trust you named the new one, The Phoenix?
The following user(s) Liked this Post: darinm

New Toy, DR350 16 May 2019 23:08 #7

• liferbiker
  • Collector
  • Collector
My heart goes out to you and yours, that fire took everything a friend owned (alot of classic cars) and talking with him he feels lucky as they made it out by the grace of God it sounds like. You were lucky as well. That fire moved so fast! I'm happy to hear you found another DR & went right ahead & made it what you (had) & wanted!

New Toy, DR350 16 May 2019 23:29 #8

• liferbiker
  • Collector
  • Collector
Did PO mention if a jet kit had been installed? My friend has one he hated it it was so emission lean it was horrible. I talked him into one (I had put a kit in a mid 90s honda 250 it was so lean it ran better w/choke slightly out) ran great after he put a DynoJet kit in. I'm not a fan of kits (still futzing w/KZ kit) but small single cylinder dirt bikes of this vintage factory's seemed to really ruin (to get cafe results up?) Honda kit may as well have sent a carb, it had pilot, needle & jet, a slide, and a couple mains to try, but it was amazing when finished

New Toy, DR350 17 May 2019 13:44 #9

• Schu
  • Open Class
  • Open Class
Years ago a military friend of mine asked me to store and ride his DR350 while he was stationed overseas. I put a couple hundred miles on the bike and enjoyed every minute. Very dependable bike. He rode the wheels of that bike before moving on to a KLR650. You got a great deal on that bike being in such beautiful condition. You earned it!

Schu

"If it's possible to do it two ways, do it the other way first to save time"

New Toy, DR350 18 May 2019 17:18 #10

• darinm
  • Collector
  • Collector
Thanks for the responses, in a way we're lucky to have only been in Paradise for 14 months before the fire so we didn't accumulate too much.

As far as a jet kit, I'd assume the PO did some work as it has an fmf aftermarket exhaust. Their copy of a supertrapp. It was too loud for me so I took out three plates and imagine she must be running rich now. Runs great, can do 60-65 uphill.

1972 Yamaha CT2 175
1972 Suzuki TS185 Sierra
1995 Suzuki DR350
Last Edit: by darinm.
  • Page:
Moderators: DEETDevinDmanEnduronutMakotosunVinnieyamadminJames HartMarkT