facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

XR650R always starting on the 18th kick. Is it an issue??????

• XRArin
  • XRArin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Hi all,

My XR650R always starts on the 15th or 20th kick and it just bugs me to be completely honest. My buddy thinks it should start on the second kick but I don't know what to believe.....

I really need some advice wether if I'm not starting it correctly or if its the bike?? 

As it starts and warms up, it idles without any issues!! 

Any advice or opinions would be appreciated!!!

Arin
27 Feb 2021 15:04 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

There are probably more videos and posts on how to start those Honda's on the Internet than there are for any other bike.  So it's probably your technique. 
A friend of mine used to have one that he could start two kicks cold and one kick hot almost every time.  Most people he'd let ride it would kick and kick and kick...  so it was definitely his technique. 
I'm sure if you search the Internet you'll find plenty of ideas...  then just practice until you figure out what works best for you.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
27 Feb 2021 15:23 #2

• XRArin
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Mark,

Do you suppose its my kicking skills but not the bike?? This is a big bore bike!!!! 

I hope i'm not killing the bike if it takes me 20 kicks to start it...

Is it ok if it starts on the 20th kick if thats what it takes for me to start it?? Sorry if I'm asking too many questions. I just want to be absolutely sure.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: 27 Feb 2021 16:48 by XRArin.
27 Feb 2021 16:48 #3

Wonder if the choke's not choking. Is it a choke flap or an enrichening jet like on a twostroke. When its running does operating the choke richen it up. I'd try starting it with a closed throttle first with choke on. But after a few kicks if that doesn't work then take choke off & open throttle & try. Easy to say i know lol & if its a low geared kick start then get it past compression so you've got some kick speed to get through the next compression with a bit of inertia--yep, easy to say says me kicking a xl185 without a decomp valve lifter.
27 Feb 2021 17:34 #4

I have been kick starting big bore four strokes for 40 years, and there is definitely a technique that I've perfected thru the years.  But there can be other reasons they are hard to start.  I presently have the same XR650R and it always starts within the third kick when cold.

When cold starting use the choke.  Use the compression release to get the piston barely past the compression stroke.  Then bring the kickstarter back up and give it a full hard kick (use the kickstand's help if you are not tall enough to do this).  Give it a little throttle as you kick thru.  If it does not start, repeat the same sequence.

If this does not work well you may have a mechanical issue...such as worn valves or bad valve adjustment, old spark plug, and maybe carb jets (but since it runs fine when it is started probably not).

Warm/hot starting is usually the problem many have with these bikes.  Let me know if you want advice on how to start it when it won't start when warm/hot.  Good luck!
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, t-bone, RT325
27 Feb 2021 18:24 #5

I mentioned in your other thread that my brother had both the XR650L & XR650R and offered to sell me one, I specifically chose the XR650L due to it having a electric start magic button, I would watch him kick that XR650R till his leg almost fell off one day, in the mean time I almost sprained my finger when I had to push that electric start button, (haha) he eventually learned a method that worked for him and he could start it within 2-3 kicks hot or cold. I do agree with others that you have to be sure the engine and tune are working properly, once you are sure of that, then it is a matter of learning a starting sequence that the bike likes.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: shyted
Last edit: 27 Feb 2021 19:12 by Lizeec.
27 Feb 2021 18:42 #6

I had an xr for 4 years and I got rid of it because of trying to start it in tight spots, on side hills and in mud.  The starting procedure in the garage or on any hard level ground is  First turn on the gas  second  choke on  third kick it 3 or 4 times with the decompressor pulled  four open and let the throttle snap shut 4 or 5 times and then find TDC and give it the big starting kick.  mine started every time  let it idle up to temp.  THEN HANG ON
Doug
27 Feb 2021 18:43 #7

• XRArin
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
RT325,

I do wonder if the choke is not working. I do start it without twisting the throttle at all. To be honest, kicking this bike over is a bit of a challenge!!!!

I do have a very strong leg but the kickstart seems to fight back!  I guess if it starts, it should be ok?? It idles without any issues once warmed up!!

It might be the choke but I am not sure.

Arin
27 Feb 2021 19:02 #8

• XRArin
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Justcurious,

I always use choke when its a cold start. I am 6'2 and have no tippy toe issues so I tend to practice to kickstart the bike with one foot on the ground. I just had the bike checked out by a 40 year mechanic and said he had no issues starting up the bike. So it must be me??? Once started, it idles no problem! I recently just put a slip on exaust (pro-circut) on and hope thats not the issue?

I hope I'm not killing the bike while keep kicking it over and over. I do give it the biggest kicks and still seems to fight back. The decompression lever does work without any issues. Someone in another comment mentioned that it might be the choke but not completely sure. All I can say is it might be me or the bike. 

Arin
27 Feb 2021 19:11 #9

• XRArin
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
RUN103,

I am going to try your method on my bike and see if that will help me start the bike hopefully less than 15 or 20 kicks.

Its definitely a challenge to start this bike!! Hopefully, the decompression lever will help me out when starting the bike tomorrow.

Arin

27 Feb 2021 19:15 #10

Moderators: yamadminEnduronutMakotosunDEETVinnieDevinJames Hart