facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram google plus linkedin1 pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Carb guru needed

Carb guru needed 09 Apr 2019 22:00 #11

• RT360Fan
  • Open Class
  • Open Class
I would definitely check the "jetted to the exhaust" part of the equation. Great info from from apex above.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Carb guru needed 09 Apr 2019 22:39 #12

• liferbiker
  • Sportsman
  • Sportsman
I too have had mixed results, I've used Dynojet a few times, twice ran exceptionally better, this last kit (KZ w/ 4 mikuni's) I've had to posisition needles three times, on those carbs, changing will take 4 hours as balencing all 4 carbs required, every time. It's now pretty close, I'd like to find some CVs for it, the round slide carbs are so time consuming to tune. Carbs on the suzi are CV, everyone is using Pro jet kit on them and seem happy, but some have had to fiddle a bit. For what its worth...
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT

Carb guru needed 09 Apr 2019 22:47 #13

• liferbiker
  • Sportsman
  • Sportsman
Apex sounds to be the athority on these carbs.

Carb guru needed 10 Apr 2019 06:10 #14

• MarkT
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor

liferbiker wrote: I too have had mixed results, I've used Dynojet a few times, twice ran exceptionally better, this last kit (KZ w/ 4 mikuni's) I've had to posisition needles three times, on those carbs, changing will take 4 hours as balencing all 4 carbs required, every time. It's now pretty close, I'd like to find some CVs for it, the round slide carbs are so time consuming to tune. Carbs on the suzi are CV, everyone is using Pro jet kit on them and seem happy, but some have had to fiddle a bit. For what its worth...

Yes, the "performance shop" re-jet kits you are talking about that are available for a more modern bike are a lot different than the often terrible replacement jets that come in the aftermarket carb rebuild kits for these old enduros,

Performance jet kit from a reputable shop is probably worth a try... (I'd go with the advice Apex gave first though) :likey

If talking "replacement" jets that come in Enduro aftermarket carb rebuild kits (Keyster and others) it's probably best not to use the metal parts (jets and slide needle, if supplied) and stay with the OEM Mikuni jets and slide needle... exception is the float needle and seat and possibly the choke plunger.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Swoop56

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250

Carb guru needed 10 Apr 2019 07:56 #15

• apex
  • Content Contributor
  • Content Contributor
Thanks guys, not an authority but have fought all the same battles we all have here, just maybe a few times more.

It seems lately I'm running into "drilled" jets. I get my cheaters on, magnifying glass, go stand in the sun, read the jet numbers and they are right! So I've chased my tail on 2 bikes in the last 6 months, when finally, looking again at those jets and just thinking they don't look right. And they weren't. Recently I bought a jet drill set, really only just to verify orifice sizes.

And these Suzuki Bandit 400's are a kick. If you've never ridden one, you might take the opportunity if it comes along. Also bought brand new a 1988 Yamaha FZR400, the 4th one imported into the US. There's just something about little inline 4 cylinders...

Allrighty Then

Carb guru needed 13 Apr 2019 10:20 #16

• ldw72120
  • ldw72120's Avatar Topic Author
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor
Wow Apex! Thanks for all the information. I wish you lived close to me. :) I too am concerned about what the PO's mechanic did when he rebuilt and adjusted carbs to exhaust. I have found many things he did that I wouldn't have done, so I think I'm going to park this bike and have a winter project. As one example of his work, he shortened the plug wires and used aftermarket spark plug caps which wouldn't work with the OEM spark plug seal so he left it off. If you rode in the rain or washed the bike, the spark plug hole would fill with water and short out. :)
You're right about these bikes also as they are a blast to ride.

Last Edit: by ldw72120.
  • Page:
Moderators: DEETDevinDmanEnduronutMakotosunVinnieyamadminJames Hart