facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram google plus linkedin1 pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Great Escape. Get together in the UK of them that still survive from movie.

Great Escape. Get together in the UK of them that still survive from movie. 14 Mar 2019 01:27 #1

• RT325
  • RT325's Avatar Topic Author
  • Collector
  • Collector
Not 100% sure of my facts, but my old boss Tim Gibbes [Aussie by birth but Yamaha dealer in NZ for 20 years from late "60's] got invited to the UK for a get together of survivors from the making of the film The great Escape. He was involved in the bike filming scenes & never really let on quite how or which scene he was part off--or did he do the jump. He was making a living from MotoCross back then & was "In Town' so to speak when the filming took place. he was an AJS works rider at the time & think was tied up with Bud Ekins in some way. We always thought Tim did the Jump but of course if asked he'd just say . Anyway at age 85-ish he got an invite so headed off today via something in Aussie for an induction into the Hall Of Fame of Motorsport for an Aussie MotoCross mate of his. I gather the UK thing at a London Theater is being relayed to 100 UK cinemas so sounds like quite a thing. He has a Minder with him thank goodness, but he Does Amaze Me the things he takes on. Tells good stories too--true or not lol they sound good.
Ha, just looking down the link i found below i see the old Ariel 600 sidevalve that was our shop sidecar hack for picking up bikes broken down. Also the BSA M20 which i found overgrown in grass lying on its side on a local farm. I resurrected it & roadraced it once haha & didn't come last. Then Tim bought it to take over from the Ariel on the sidecar but then we used a 350-4 Honda & then a TX650 or XS650. Anyway--Hope Tim enjoys his time away. I worked for him for the 20 years he was in business as a Yamaha dealer from mid "60's . Great times those--well that's why i get lost in this forum i suppose lol. Bring back the "60's & '70's i say. Just found this pic with a story that might explain what i never knew, because he'd never quite let the whole story out haha. I remember when the original movie arrived in town & we had to take bikes to the cinema & set up a display. Great days those & exciting for me as a relatively young fella. Found one of a Landscout at work back in the day outside the shop so i'll add that for a laugh. That's the very first landscout before autolube arrived.
www.motorcyclesport.co.nz/documents/tw/W...s%20Tim%20Gibbes.htm

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, 2fishkev, Steve F, Dirtboy, JGersh

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last Edit: by RT325.

Great Escape. Get together in the UK of them that still survive from movie. 14 Mar 2019 06:45 #2

• Steve F
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor
Great Escape is a movie fav. of mine. Have it in my lib. Thanks for this post!

Not from the great escape but Mc Queen was a rider with style.

Attachments:

1974 DT250A, his
1974 DT250A, hers
1974 GT80A
1978 IT175E
1978 IT175E No. 332 -SOLD
"Is everything connected properly?"
Last Edit: by Steve F. Reason: add info

Great Escape. Get together in the UK of them that still survive from movie. 14 Mar 2019 09:58 #3

• mdscott
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor

RT325 wrote: Not 100% sure of my facts, but my old boss Tim Gibbes [Aussie by birth but Yamaha dealer in NZ for 20 years from late "60's] got invited to the UK for a get together of survivors from the making of the film The great Escape. He was involved in the bike filming scenes & never really let on quite how or which scene he was part off--or did he do the jump. He was making a living from MotoCross back then & was "In Town' so to speak when the filming took place. he was an AJS works rider at the time & think was tied up with Bud Ekins in some way. We always thought Tim did the Jump but of course if asked he'd just say . Anyway at age 85-ish he got an invite so headed off today via something in Aussie for an induction into the Hall Of Fame of Motorsport for an Aussie MotoCross mate of his. I gather the UK thing at a London Theater is being relayed to 100 UK cinemas so sounds like quite a thing. He has a Minder with him thank goodness, but he Does Amaze Me the things he takes on. Tells good stories too--true or not lol they sound good.
Ha, just looking down the link i found below i see the old Ariel 600 sidevalve that was our shop sidecar hack for picking up bikes broken down. Also the BSA M20 which i found overgrown in grass lying on its side on a local farm. I resurrected it & roadraced it once haha & didn't come last. Then Tim bought it to take over from the Ariel on the sidecar but then we used a 350-4 Honda & then a TX650 or XS650. Anyway--Hope Tim enjoys his time away. I worked for him for the 20 years he was in business as a Yamaha dealer from mid "60's . Great times those--well that's why i get lost in this forum i suppose lol. Bring back the "60's & '70's i say. Just found this pic with a story that might explain what i never knew, because he'd never quite let the whole story out haha. I remember when the original movie arrived in town & we had to take bikes to the cinema & set up a display. Great days those & exciting for me as a relatively young fella. Found one of a Landscout at work back in the day outside the shop so i'll add that for a laugh. That's the very first landscout before autolube arrived.

Looks like Steve is on his cell phone, probably tweeting, maybe going to do a selfie next to the bike.

Thanks Mark
Roseville, Ca.

'76 Bultaco 143 Frontera
07 DL650
74 DT360
75 Norton
73 CB500K
63 C200
87 PW50
64 McClane Edger
Last Edit: by mdscott.

Great Escape. Get together in the UK of them that still survive from movie. 14 Mar 2019 19:11 #4

• Memorylane
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor
Cool post, thanks!
The wheels on the landscout have me thinking what where the built for? Looks very specific terrain wise, obviously not anything hard but for mud sand or snow a scoop would be better. Any ideas?

My life is a hilarious series of wrong turns, and to quote bugs bunny “I should have taken a left at Albuquerque!”

Great Escape. Get together in the UK of them that still survive from movie. 15 Mar 2019 03:03 #5

• RT325
  • RT325's Avatar Topic Author
  • Collector
  • Collector
Re the steel wheels. We had a customer 'Hill Country Farmer' who took a while to park his Horse & try a bike. But his terrain was super steep & difficult. So Boss came up with an idea haha. To be honest i'm not sure if the farmer tried it of if we took it somewhere steep & decided it was a wasted effort. Boss might've got it done more for a laugh than practicality remembering what we were up to in those days. No-one can remember what happened to those wheels [can't call them tires lol]. I had one of those early landscouts as a rough trade in for dad on the dairy farm. Was realy good too. I liked that tank shape on that first model & no autolube either.

• Page:
Moderators: DEETDevinDmanEnduronutMakotosunVinnieyamadminJames Hart