facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram google plus linkedin1 pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Weekend at the Races

Weekend at the Races 27 Feb 2019 17:39 #81

• KennyV
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor
Ditto here, congratulations on your retirement! I also look forward to your flat tracker photos.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Tom S.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

71 Z50 Minitrail
72 RT2
74 250A
78 XT500E
06 F650GS Dakar
Last Edit: by KennyV.

Weekend at the Races 29 Mar 2019 08:15 #82

• Tom S.
  • Tom S.'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Sportsman
  • Sportsman
Last weekend I attended my first pro race of the year, the Atlanta Short Track. This was the second event on the series calendar. I missed the first race at Daytona Intl. Speedway. Anything smaller than about 3/8 mile is called a short track, and Dixie Speedway is right on that mark. This is a steeply banked red clay oval that is primarily a car track. And to call it an oval isn't really accurate. There is a break in the front straight, where it turns slightly left at the start/finish line, giving the appearance of a fifth corner. Traction on the clay was a little sketchy this year, leading to a few crashes. A couple of guys are still in the hospital nearly a week later.

As usual, there were two pro classes, one for purpose-built 750cc machines, and another class for younger riders on modified 450cc MX bikes, Indian FTR750s swept the top three spots, which is pretty normal these days. A factory-entered Harley-Davidson XG750 took fourth place - a good finish for that team. Pennsylvania racer Brandon Robinson (44) took the win, his first in a couple of years. He dispatched the leader, current series champ Jared Mees (1), with an outside pass in turn four near the end of the race. The Junior class win went to Dalton Gauthier (122) on a Honda CRF450R. Gauthier had a perfect day, setting the fast qualifying time, winning his heat race and semi, then leading every lap of the main event. Gauthier has been out of the series for two years because he failed a mandatory drug test. This was his second race back, and the first on an oval. He won here in 2017, his last race before being suspended.

This event also had a third, non-championship class, where all of the riders were on 70s vintage Bultaco Astro 360cc bikes. This is an invitational class, open only to racers who held a pro license back in the day. The win went to former pro racer Davey Durelle (58). He ran close with Jackie Mitchell (32) before pulling out a gap.

Here are some pics of the track, the pre-race track walk for racers, rider intros before the 450cc main event, and some of the bikes in all three classes. I tripped and fell between the main events, and damaged my camera. I did not get many photos of the 750cc main event. The series goes to Dallas on April 20. I'll miss that round, but will join back in at the next stop in Arizona on April 27.

The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, RTD2, RALPH, swm, Pillsbury, KennyV, liferbiker

Weekend at the Races 29 Mar 2019 17:01 #83

• KennyV
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor
Awesome! I really like seeing new posts from you of the flat tracking world. Thank you!

71 Z50 Minitrail
72 RT2
74 250A
78 XT500E
06 F650GS Dakar

Weekend at the Races 29 Mar 2019 20:08 #84

• mdscott
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor
Hey Tom are you going to be a Perris 1/2mile May 11, I can be your assistant.

Thanks Mark
Roseville, Ca.

'76 Bultaco 143 Frontera
'06 GL1800
07 DL650
74 DT360
75 Norton
73 CB500K
63 C200
87 PW50
64 McClane Edger

Weekend at the Races 29 Mar 2019 21:07 #85

• Tom S.
  • Sportsman
  • Sportsman

mdscott wrote: Hey Tom are you going to be a Perris 1/2mile May 11, I can be your assistant.

I am going to Perris. I live in Portland, so it's pretty easy to hit all of the west coast events. I'd love to have an assistant, but the organizers are really tight w/passes. I barely got one for myself this season. Here are a few shots from the last Perris race, two years ago.

Weekend at the Races 29 Mar 2019 22:11 #86

• Rick C.
  • Collector
  • Collector
Like most of us here, We very much enjoy All the race pictures and inside info. Hope you keep going !
Retirement eh? Happy for you and your family. ENJOY !!!! I like it.

I hope we can see more of you then. You post some great stuff.
Don't be a stranger

Weekend at the Races 29 Mar 2019 23:09 #87

• mdscott
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor

Tom S. wrote:

mdscott wrote: Hey Tom are you going to be a Perris 1/2mile May 11, I can be your assistant.

I am going to Perris. I live in Portland, so it's pretty easy to hit all of the west coast events. I'd love to have an assistant, but the organizers are really tight w/passes. I barely got one for myself this season. Here are a few shots from the last Perris race, two years ago.

Im in No Cal and planning on going to Cal Dreamin, I going to try to make it to the race. I wasn't expecting a pass but if you need any help, be glad too. You know caring gear, like SD flash memory cards. :ROFLOL

Thanks Mark
Roseville, Ca.

'76 Bultaco 143 Frontera
'06 GL1800
07 DL650
74 DT360
75 Norton
73 CB500K
63 C200
87 PW50
64 McClane Edger

Weekend at the Races 30 Mar 2019 06:26 #88

• Pillsbury
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor
Thanks for your pics, luv flat trackers!!

1970 DT1-C Grand Prix race bike
1970 DT1-C Street tracker
1968 Honda CL90
1971 Honda Sl 125
1973 Honda CR250
1974 Honda MR-50
1966 Triumph Tiger Cub
1967 Moto Guzzi V700
1970 Suzuki TC90
1947 Mustang

Weekend at the Races 16 May 2019 18:05 #89

• Tom S.
  • Sportsman
  • Sportsman
I spent the last weekend in March near Phoenix to attend a motorcycle race. More on that later, but first here's the story of my side trip. I flew into Phoenix early and on Friday I drove to Tucson to visit the Pima Air & Space Museum. The huge collection of civilian and military aircraft includes everything from a Wright Flyer replica to the Boeing 787 Dreamliner prototype. I moved quickly, and in five hours still only saw perhaps 2/3 of the collection. Some of the planes have been carefully restored. Others, especially those parked outdoors, are weathered and even decayed.

I was particularly intrigued by the machines stored outdoors. There were lots of Cold War craft, and I believe that every century-series jet was represented. There are multiples of Lockheed Constellations, Boeing B29s, B52s and KC97s in various configurations, along with a very nicely kept Convair B36 Peacemaker. The planes and equipment were labeled well. Some of the planes are combat veterans and some have carried U.S. presidents. There's an enormous Thiokol solid-propellant rocket booster lying next to the door to the museum, but I was stumped figuring out how to photograph it effectively. The sign on it says it weighs 1,000,000 pounds, but it makes more than 3,000,000 pounds of thrust. This is not a USAF museum, though many of the aircraft were described as being on loan from the government. I did not get to visit the adjacent Davis-Monthan AFB boneyard because this side trip was a late decision and pre-registration is required for access. Next time.

Weekend at the Races 16 May 2019 18:06 #90

• Tom S.
  • Sportsman
  • Sportsman
More airplanes...

The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, swm, Wheel mad

Moderators: DEETDevinDmanEnduronutMakotosunVinnieyamadminJames Hart