facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram google plus linkedin1 pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Weekend at the Races

Weekend at the Races 26 Oct 2017 13:25 #11

• Pillsbury
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor
BTW, your photos are really good!
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Tom S.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1970 DT1-C Grand Prix race bike
1970 DT1-C Street tracker
1968 Honda CL90
1971 Honda Sl 125
1973 Honda CR250
1974 Honda MR-50
1966 Triumph Tiger Cub
1967 Moto Guzzi V700
1970 Suzuki TC90
1947 Mustang

Weekend at the Races 28 Oct 2017 09:30 #12

• Scootern29
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor
Just saw this thread and love it. I followed dirt track till about 2002 but kinda lost some interest after that. I tried watching it on TV this year a couple of times but the announcers were so bad I couldn't take it.

One of my close club mates in the Hilltoppers MC was Pete Brown, who was Skip's mechanic. He passed away about three years ago from brain cancer and is really missed.

Out of the blue working in my shop yesterday I get a phone call from.......Eddie Mulder (you may recognize the name).. That was a real surprise. We have a couple of mutual friends and he wants me to build a set of shocks for his Triumph dual sport he is building.

And.......your bike is sweet.
Scott
The following user(s) Liked this Post: X53flier, Tom S.

Question authority, think for yourself!

Weekend at the Races 10 Nov 2017 07:17 #13

• Tom S.
  • Tom S.'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Sportsman
  • Sportsman
Last weekend I attended the opening round of the indoor winter racing series at the Oregon State Fairgrounds in Salem, the state capital. Every fall they bring truckloads of dirt and a bunch of concrete barriers and fencing into this big arena to build a race track, and there it stays until spring, when they take it down again. They have races three or four times a month, and two full programs each race day. A typical race day has dirt karts in the morning and afternoon, and motorcycles and quads race in the evening. I'll visit Salem a couple of times during the season.

This is a big track for an indoor circuit. I don't know the exact length, but it must be greater than 1/8 mile around. The hard clay surface is banked at each end. Scoring the races is done with a sensor that hangs from the ceiling, recording transponders attached to the bikes as they pass by.

There are classes for everything from little kids on minis with training wheels to top national pros on modified motocross bikes. There are several pros who come out regularly, and it's pretty common for a few to come up from California if there are no conflicting events.

There is a strong group of vintage racers. Yamaha's TT/SR 500 is a very popular motor. There were also a bunch of Yamaha Enduros present on this weekend and one Ducati 250. Some of these bikes have stock or modified frames, and a couple have purpose-built racing frames.

A new feature this year is a small section added to the infield to provide a left-right-left TT section. Only minis and pit bikes were allowed to run this part because it's pretty small, but the racers had fun on it.

The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, bluntz465, Dirtboy, Pillsbury

Last Edit: by Tom S..

Weekend at the Races 10 Nov 2017 07:59 #14

• mdscott
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor
I which there was a 1/2 mile flat track racing in Sacramento area. There's a great speedway track in Auburn.

Thanks Mark
Roseville, Ca.

'76 Bultaco 143 Frontera
'06 GL1800
07 DL650
74 DT360
75 Norton
73 CB500K
63 C200
87 PW50
64 McClane Edger

Weekend at the Races 10 Nov 2017 08:07 #15

• Tom S.
  • Sportsman
  • Sportsman

mdscott wrote: I which there was a 1/2 mile flat track racing in Sacramento area. There's a great speedway track in Auburn.

Once in awhile there is racing on the half-mile track at the fairgrounds in Stockton. There was an AMA Pro event there in 2013, and there was a non-championship race last July with a really big pro purse.

Weekend at the Races 10 Nov 2017 08:44 #16

• mdscott
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor

Tom S. wrote:

mdscott wrote: I which there was a 1/2 mile flat track racing in Sacramento area. There's a great speedway track in Auburn.

Once in awhile there is racing on the half-mile track at the fairgrounds in Stockton. There was an AMA Pro event there in 2013, and there was a non-championship race last July with a really big pro purse.

Yeah theres a national 1/2 mile race at Calistoga also, once a year. Living in LA area I went to Ascot a lot, 1/2 mile is a perfect size track IMHO, good speed and close to spectators.

Thanks Mark
Roseville, Ca.

'76 Bultaco 143 Frontera
'06 GL1800
07 DL650
74 DT360
75 Norton
73 CB500K
63 C200
87 PW50
64 McClane Edger
Last Edit: by mdscott.

Weekend at the Races 10 Nov 2017 17:23 #17

• Pillsbury
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor
That looks like a lot of fun!!

1970 DT1-C Grand Prix race bike
1970 DT1-C Street tracker
1968 Honda CL90
1971 Honda Sl 125
1973 Honda CR250
1974 Honda MR-50
1966 Triumph Tiger Cub
1967 Moto Guzzi V700
1970 Suzuki TC90
1947 Mustang

Weekend at the Races 10 Nov 2017 23:57 #18

• Hammer
  • Collector
  • Collector
All,
Back in 1973, they had flat-track races on the Expo Fairgrounds track. They even let us motocrosssers try a few laps on the Jawas that were the racing bikes. It was simply the scariest time I had had on a motorcycle. I was NOT prepared for no front brakes, and explosive torque of those bikes. I called it quits after 2 very scary laps! I feel for the guys who offered their bikes...

Hammer

"Who, More than Self, His Country Loved."

Weekend at the Races 22 Nov 2017 09:38 #19

• Tom S.
  • Sportsman
  • Sportsman
My job is to spotlight the racers. I pretty much hide in the shadows. So it was quite out of the ordinary when a blogger asked to interview me recently.

https://lastmoto.com/2017/11/21/photographer-tom-stein-of-northwest-track-shots/

Weekend at the Races 22 Nov 2017 19:35 #20

• mdscott
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor
So Tom S, I saw you were a Quail 2016. I was at there this year, my Norton club had a display. Might be going next year. Great photos.

Thanks Mark
Roseville, Ca.

'76 Bultaco 143 Frontera
'06 GL1800
07 DL650
74 DT360
75 Norton
73 CB500K
63 C200
87 PW50
64 McClane Edger
Moderators: DEETDevinDmanEnduronutMakotosunVinnieyamadminJames Hart