facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram google plus linkedin1 pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
13 Jul 2018
I have re-enabled Tapatalk and will try to keep it functional assuming they keep the plug in updated. You can get the mobile app at: www.tapatalk.com/tapatalk_mobile

TOPIC: Weekend at the Races

Weekend at the Races 23 Oct 2017 18:34 #1

• Tom S.
  • Tom S.'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Sportsman
  • Sportsman
Are there any Flat Track Fans Here?

I've had a pretty much lifelong interest in motorcycles and racing. Among several other bikes, there's a '78 DT400 in my garage on the to-do list for attention. That's why I joined this board. But a lot of my time in the past few years has been spent off the bike, traveling around the country to photograph and report on American Flat Track (formerly AMA Pro Flat Track) events. I post photos, race reports and other items on a dedicated Facebook page called Northwest Track Shots, and I have a website where people can purchase photos. I also post photos in the general interest section of a couple of motorcycle forums that I follow.

Are the people here interested to see my photos? Is this the correct area of the forum to post them? I invest a considerable amount of time and money into creating my coverage, but it takes almost nothing to place them on one more site. I'm not asking anyone to buy anything. I just want to raise awareness of the sport, entertain and inform people and put my work in front of as many eyes as possible.

The following user(s) Liked this Post: 1971DT250, bluntz465, MotoDave0, Pillsbury, Zeohsix, motoSycho

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Weekend at the Races 23 Oct 2017 20:37 #2

• mdscott
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor
sure would love to see more pics, :OnFire

Thanks Mark
Roseville, Ca.

74 DT250
07 DL650
74 DT360
75 Norton
73 CB500K
63 C200
87 PW50
64 McClane Edger

Weekend at the Races 24 Oct 2017 05:45 #3

• 1971DT250
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor
Some of my favorite memories of the past are watching Kenny Roberts at the Syracuse, NY State Fairgrounds mile flat track on his Yamaha. He would pass the Harleys in the corners and they would pass him in the straights. The Harleys had more horsepower but he had more skill.

The hours spent riding my Enduros is not deducted from my life span.

Weekend at the Races 24 Oct 2017 14:25 #4

• mdscott
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor

1971DT250 wrote: Some of my favorite memories of the past are watching Kenny Roberts at the Syracuse, NY State Fairgrounds mile flat track on his Yamaha. He would pass the Harleys in the corners and they would pass him in the straights. The Harleys had more horsepower but he had more skill.

I know what you mean, saw him at two races, first at Ascot 1/2 mi, he started back in the pack and passed everyone on the outside in the corners, second at the old Ontario raceway road race he would get passed on the huge straight by the triple 500cc Kawasaki and he passed them back on the infield, riding a 350cc bike. Also at Ontario raceway 1/4mi drags, I saw the Norton twin engine Hogslayer beat all Harleys.

Thanks Mark
Roseville, Ca.

74 DT250
07 DL650
74 DT360
75 Norton
73 CB500K
63 C200
87 PW50
64 McClane Edger

Weekend at the Races 24 Oct 2017 14:57 #5

• Pillsbury
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor
I've followed flat track since the late 60's. Always interested in what's going on. Really liking the battles on the singles & twins this year. My buddy that does my machining & Tig was Keith Mashburn's mechanic when he raced DT1's He's been helping me quite a bit setting my motor up.

1970 DT1-C Grand Prix race bike
1970 DT1-C Dirt bike
1968 Honda CL90
1971 Honda Sl 125
1973 Honda CR250
1974 Honda MR-50
1966 Triumph Tiger Cub
1967 Moto Guzzi V700

Weekend at the Races 24 Oct 2017 16:24 #6

• Tom S.
  • Sportsman
  • Sportsman
The final pro event of the season was held three weekends ago in Perris, Calif. It was the first time the series has viisited there. Perris Auto Speedway is a half-mile dirt track about 80 miles east of LA.

The track is located at a fairground. There was a fair going on at the same time as the races and you could see the brightly lit carnival rides rising behind the grandstand.

A group of Marine reservists brought a large U.S. flag onto the front straight for the opening ceremonies. It was pretty cool to see.

Sonny Nutter, a SoCal flat track star from back in the day, did a lap of honor on his Triumph while wearing the leather jacket and #59 number plates of the recently deceased TT legend, Skip Van Leeuwen.

Speaking of legends, master bike builder Ron Wood debuted his Honda Africa Twin-powered machine at Perris. California racer Chad Cose (49) didn't make it to the main event, but he gave a good try for the bike's first race.

The bottom picture shows a pair of younger riders getting their race faces on just prior to the main event.

The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, Hammer, Pillsbury

Weekend at the Races 25 Oct 2017 15:23 #7

• Tom S.
  • Sportsman
  • Sportsman
Here are a few shots from the final American Flat Track race of 2017. This was the first time the series had visited Perris Auto Speedway. The track is banked and has a hard and sticky clay surface. The tendency was for people to run down low, and it turned into a one-line sort of thing, with few passing opportunities. The passes that did occur were very close and at times involved some bumping. Getting a good start was critical. Jared Mees (9) won the twin cylinder class on an Indian FTR750. Brandon Price (92) won the single cylinder class on a Honda.

The Indian team had the season championship for big bikes sewn up a couple of races prior. Jared Mees is a multi-time champion and he rode like one all season long to take the title. In the eighteen-race series, Mees had seventeen podium finishes and ten wins. Indians also took second and third places in the season points chase. That's an amazing outcome for the factory team's first season. Fourth place in the championship went to the Estenson Racing Yamaha FZ-07 piloted by Sam Halbert (69).

The championship outcome in the class for smaller bikes was pretty well settled at the last prior race, barring any unusual incidents or failures, and there were none. Kolby Carlile (36) won the title, riding the Estenson Racing Yamaha YZ450F.

Jared Mees' title-winning factory-entered Indian FTR750.

Kolby Carlile's title winning Estenson Racing Yamaha YZ450F

Sam Halbert's Yamaha FZ-07

Race day always starts with a riders meeting to cover the ground rules and any procedural changes specific to the event. The guy with the microphone and clipboard is Chris Carr, the seven-time Grand National champion who now serves as AFT's Chief Competition Officer.

Riders wait their turn for practice and qualifying.

This is my friend, Thunder. He makes great videos and can do it while he rides his electric scooter gizmo.

Honda-powered machines are uncommon in the big bike class. This bike's engine is from the new Africa Twin model. It was racing for the first time and just missed making it into the main event.

Top riders in the small bike class wait backstage before main event introductions. I'd guess the average age here is 19 years old. The guy in the dark suit on the far right won the race. The fellow with long red hair in the center of the row won the championship. These are all really nice young people.

The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, RALPH, bluntz465, Pillsbury, motoSycho

Weekend at the Races 26 Oct 2017 07:58 #8

• Pillsbury
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor
The young lady wearing #52 is quick and has been waking up the guys on that big single. Jared Mees is smooth & his wife races!!
thanks for the pics. Any youtube stuff?
thankyouverymuch!!

1970 DT1-C Grand Prix race bike
1970 DT1-C Dirt bike
1968 Honda CL90
1971 Honda Sl 125
1973 Honda CR250
1974 Honda MR-50
1966 Triumph Tiger Cub
1967 Moto Guzzi V700

Weekend at the Races 26 Oct 2017 10:02 #9

• Tom S.
  • Sportsman
  • Sportsman

Pillsbury wrote: ...Any youtube stuff?
thankyouverymuch!!

You're welcome. Thanks for watching. I'm grateful to the organizers for providing me a photo credential and to my wife for her support of all of this monkey business. My credential is only for still photography. The organizers have a strict rule that no video is allowed. They do make their own swell vids which you can see here:

www.americanflattrack.com/videos

I'll post more race photos when the pro season starts up again next spring. I may also put up some shots from our local races over the winter. There are a few good indoor winter series here in the Northwest. There's a better chance at the local races of seeing neat old vintage bikes.

In the meantime my winter project will be to get my '78 DT400 running again. I bought this bike in early 2015 and have never started it. I believe it sat for two years or longer before I bought it. The odo shows 7,800 miles. It looks as though it's always been stored indoors. There are small marks here and there from normal use, but no real crash damage besides a slightly bent handle bar and broken brake lever. The turn signals are missing. When I brought it home I discovered the air filer element was gone and there was a bunch of dog food kibbles in the air box, apparently stored there by mice.

The following user(s) Liked this Post: bluntz465

Weekend at the Races 26 Oct 2017 11:32 #10

• Devin
  • Supporting Moderator
  • Supporting Moderator
  • Cell 805-914-8299

Tom S. wrote:

Pillsbury wrote: ...Any youtube stuff?
thankyouverymuch!!

You're welcome. Thanks for watching. I'm grateful to the organizers for providing me a photo credential and to my wife for her support of all of this monkey business. My credential is only for still photography. The organizers have a strict rule that no video is allowed. They do make their own swell vids which you can see here:

www.americanflattrack.com/videos

I'll post more race photos when the pro season starts up again next spring. I may also put up some shots from our local races over the winter. There are a few good indoor winter series here in the Northwest. There's a better chance at the local races of seeing neat old vintage bikes.

In the meantime my winter project will be to get my '78 DT400 running again. I bought this bike in early 2015 and have never started it. I believe it sat for two years or longer before I bought it. The odo shows 7,800 miles. It looks as though it's always been stored indoors. There are small marks here and there from normal use, but no real crash damage besides a slightly bent handle bar and broken brake lever. The turn signals are missing. When I brought it home I discovered the air filer element was gone and there was a bunch of dog food kibbles in the air box, apparently stored there by mice.

Your bike looks very complete! It should be a great restoration project. You can still buy a filter from Yamaha.

1M1-14451-00-00 ELEMENT, AIR CLEANER

And just a heads up, there are reproduction turn signals. Some of them have shafts that are to short, You will need the longer shaft version. Here is the thread if you want to go thru it.

www.yamaha-enduros.com/index.php/forums/...e-rear-blinkers#2732
The following user(s) Liked this Post: bluntz465, Tom S.

Last Edit: by Devin.
Moderators: DEETDevinDmanEnduronutMakotosunVinnieyamadminJames Hart