facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Question want to know how trouble starts with enduro bikes

• shyted
  • shyted's Avatar Topic Author
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter
 Here's my shortened motorcycle history in description and pictures .

This is how it starts . Terrorise the neighbours on your trike. By that time i had already been introduced to a motorcycle. My brother and two of his mates had a Raleigh Whist. I fitted perfect on the handle bars with my brother in control. He would peddle like bloody hell till it fired up and then it would be off in a cloud of 20:1 sliding through it's three speeds, streaking along the disused railway line in it's battleship grey livery.
We moved from that area shortly after to a young mans paradise. Daisy Hill near Westhoughton ,Bolton, Lancashire.
One shop, one bus but a paradise.

I thought this bike was the dogs bollocks. I loved it. It was this point i came across pictures of Enduros in the US. Malc Smith ,pics of bikes i'd never seen or heard of  Can Am, Rokon, Hodaka all in the 1975 Cycle illustrated annual with a pic of Roger DeCoster on the cover. I went miles over the disused farm tracks and old mining land and onto disused railways . No bother from any one .That picture was spring 1976 and lots of things happened . Punk Rock, the driest summer for years and the time i realised that the press and government were nothing but liers. I also had pubes
The Harley was always braking down. That was because the Zener diode was missing. It wouldn't charge.
So i saw this.

That's my cousin Little Geoff perched on the back. Every kid in that era never had training shoes. Black pumps from the previous term at school. We wore them for PE.
The crow came after the bike. I have always had an obsession with animals.

That's me age 15 with my pet Carrion Crow i found injured by the side of the road . I nursed it back to health and it flew off and came back as it pleased. Told ya, paradise.
So how did that happen. I sold the HD to a bloke of 24 years old ( Old guy by my standard ) and set to work raising the rest.
I went out in the early hours and walked to Westhoughton with my home made trolley ( An old door and two axels off a pram with rope steering ) complete with tools . I took the brass door handles off the town hall and then went looking for lead - - - - on the church roof. It took me an age to walk to the scrap mans place . Jose K Holt Gordon . i waited for him to open . He was this this big brute of a black guy from Jamaica. 
He said " What ya gat der baoy" When i showed him he went mad . Dragged me in his office and asked me where the handles had come from when i told him he put me and the handles in his van and off to the town hall and re mounted them and then off most rapid to his place . De lead den ? i said the church roof from the gutters and conductor brackets . He said," i'll get rid o dat yung un ,dunt tell ya mammi ". He asked why and i explained about the bikes. So he gave me a job in the yard for £2.00 a day . GOLD . Saturday from then on i was grafting . I got a tenner for the lead. I didn't think i'd done anything wrong. It was just shiny and heavy so it had to be quality scrap. I just thought they'd buy new ones. The lead err well mmm.
The following September i bought this.

A  Honda TL 125  reg plate was  TEK 608 S 
My dad saw it . An ex demo bike . He loaned me £24 and took the cash i'd made from Jos'e and helping repair cars with my brother for more bike tokens. Jos'e bought me those work boots too. I loved that man .He treated me fantastic and he made me laugh. He hated bullies . 
My parents asked plenty of questions about how i ended up there that Saturday. I only recently told my mum that story .
I never got to tell my dad. These pics are from his house. Me and my brother are emptying it as he died recently.
There's more to come.
Tales of chases from the cops and how to out whit them. Realizing that cops, scooter boys and people in towns generally  despised young lads on motor cycles and the shocking death of two close friends.

The following user(s) Liked this Post: Enduronut, MarkT, 2fishkev, 1971DT250, Bigdog302, Badger52, bike4fun, MACE6772, JayB, Snglsmkr, JimA, Gr8uncleal, Ht1kid, Pete-RT1, Andy L, mtalley11, turbodan, Sneezles61, adguy2112, GaryDean, Tinkicker, Mike P
Last edit: 12 Jan 2022 16:03 by shyted.
12 Jan 2022 10:33 #1

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic want to know how trouble starts with enduro bikes

"'Ere, are you lookin' at me.........!!" 

This image is hidden for guests.

The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, shyted
12 Jan 2022 10:49 #2

Replied by Sneezles61 on topic want to know how trouble starts with enduro bikes

Classy trike right there.. I like the "side walk" approved bell!
Sneezles61
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, shyted
12 Jan 2022 11:28 #3

That would be “pavement approved” if I remember my British English correctly 

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: shyted, Sneezles61
12 Jan 2022 11:48 #4

• msavitt
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter
cute lad!
I remember how happy I was when I got an upgrade from a trike with a tiny front wheel to a larger one and how fast I thought it was!
12 Jan 2022 12:17 #5

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic want to know how trouble starts with enduro bikes

"That would be “pavement approved” if I remember my British English correctly"

Quite correct, Mark! 

I have to admit to being a tad confused/perplexed when I first read that some US members would be riding their Enduros on the pavement only!  

The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT
12 Jan 2022 12:33 #6

Shyted great story those were the good ole days I wish I could relive mine so much FUN these kids today don’t have a clue
The following user(s) Liked this Post: shyted
13 Jan 2022 17:37 #7

I love reading stories from you guys on the other side of the pond. The different words, but we know what they mean! When I was 9 several kids in the neighborhood got new Honda 50's. They were the most beautiful thing I had ever seen. I begged my dad for one over and over. One day he brought home a mini bike with a Briggs and Stratton engine. It was Brown and ugly. I was crushed. He forgot to put oil in the engine and it didn't take long for the engine to lock up. That was the end of it.

My mom remarried in 73 to a motorcycle guy and he bought me my first real motorcycle for my 14th birthday. Maybe a little bit to warm me up as my new step dad. He was a good guy and treated my mom good. He bought me a new 72 Yamaha 125 Enduro. I lived on that bike!

1978 DT400
1975 DT250
1976 YZ125X
1976 YZ125C - future project
1976 YZ125X - future project
2018 YZ250FX - my race bike

The following user(s) Liked this Post: Enduronut, MarkT, type one, Bigdog302, Badger52, shyted, JayB, Ht1kid, Andy L, adguy2112, Mike P
Last edit: 14 Jan 2022 11:12 by Grussell.
13 Jan 2022 19:53 #8

This message has an attachment image.

Great stories and pics fellas!

The following user(s) Liked this Post: shyted
14 Jan 2022 10:58 #9

Great stories and photos!! Thanks for posting! 

My trouble with enduros always seemed to start when I get the wallet out................

The following user(s) Liked this Post: Enduronut, Bigdog302, shyted, Ht1kid, Mike P
14 Jan 2022 11:51 #10

Moderators: yamadminEnduronutMakotosunDEETVinnieDevinJames Hart