facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Success! 69 DT1B finally runs!

• pmb
  • pmb's Avatar Topic Author

Success! 69 DT1B finally runs! was created by pmb

I am happy to report that I have finally gotten my 69 dt1b 250 running!  It's not perfect yet but it starts first or second kick and it is consistent in its performance. I am finally at the point where I can actually start tuning the carb to get it to rev cleanly throughout the rpm range.

It has been been about 3 years since I started this project. Of course life gets in the way and I have had to put the project aside on numerous occasions for lengthy periods of time. Early into my project I found this forum and I have been searching for tips and information about how other people solve the problems I have encountered. About 6 months ago I started posting some of my questions. I received lots of advice from great people that are passionate about these old motorcycles. I just wanted to take a moment to thank you all for your support. This a wonderful place populated by great people. 
 I will post some of what I learned along the way in future post in an effort to give something back to the forum that may help others with their projects. The first will be an article on how I rebuilt the "clutch push assembly" by replacing the plastic screw with a new part I made on my 3D printer. It has taken a couple tries but I think I got it solved. I will post it after a little more usage to validate the fix. 
 That's all for now. Thank you. PMB
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Rick C., MarkT, darinm, Gr8uncleal, Ht1kid, Pedalcrazy, Sneezles61
13 Sep 2021 22:44 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by MarkT on topic Success! 69 DT1B finally runs!

Great job and Congratulations!!! 

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Getting one of these old machines running again is a great feeling! 
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
13 Sep 2021 23:00 #2

• pmb

Replied by pmb on topic Success! 69 DT1B finally runs!

MarkT, you have been one of the people that has responded with great advice to many (if not all) of my posts. Thank you so much for being such a great resource. It is people like you that make this forum such an amazing place. 

I have been having a blast riding the old bike with some of my buddies. Smiling ear to ear along the way. Now that it runs, I am looking forward to digging into the suspension and brakes and new tires and maybe some paint and re-caroming some stuff and... who knows?  It's finally fun again!!!
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Enduronut, Rick C., MarkT, Ht1kid, msavitt, Jack
13 Sep 2021 23:23 #3

• pmb

Replied by pmb on topic Success! 69 DT1B finally runs!

I also must give a huge shot out to my brother who happens to also be named Mark. He was the person that talked me of cliff when I had literally given up. He is really good at this stuff but lives far enough away that it wasn't practical for me to take the bike to him. As fate would have it, a family matter brought him close enough that I could take the bike to him. After a few days he found all the stuff I had missed or done wrong. I now have a much better understanding of how it all works as well as how a small imperfection can cause havoc. 

Thank you brother Mark. 

13 Sep 2021 23:57 #4

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic Success! 69 DT1B finally runs!

"Great job and Congratulations!!!  

Getting one of these old machines running again is a great feeling!"

+1 
14 Sep 2021 00:08 #5

Replied by RT325 on topic Success! 69 DT1B finally runs!

Good news & look forward to your input to help others. 3D printing a clutch actuator sound very interesting even if a bit out of my league.
14 Sep 2021 01:19 #6

Replied by Dirtboy on topic Success! 69 DT1B finally runs!

well done! looking forward to finding out how you 3D printed that clutch part.

14 Sep 2021 13:40 #7

Replied by Rick C. on topic Success! 69 DT1B finally runs!

Great News Paul !!
Glad you got that sputter demon out of the motor !
Hope to see you on one of the Hungry Valley rides soon.
14 Sep 2021 14:24 #8

Moderators: yamadminEnduronutMakotosunDEETVinnieDevinJames Hart