facebook1   youtube1   twitter1   instagram   linkedin1   pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

What got you into motorcycles?

01 Jul 2020 00:38
YZBill
Sportsman
Sportsman
More
Topic Author
What got you into motorcycles? #1
Summer of 85 I was home from college. A few guys I worked with that summer had dirt bikes and would go out trail riding together. One day they invited me and put me on an old Kawasaki 100. I couldn’t keep up with their 350s, 250s and 175s and took quite a few dirt naps, but I was instantly hooked. Back at school in the fall I picked up a copy of Cycle Trader and started thumbing through it. Less than a mile away I found an 82 IT250J for $600 obo. I offered the guy $500 cash. He took it and threw in an old pair of boots. I found an old Hi-Point chest protector for $10 at Goodwill, but sprung for a new Bieffe helmet at the local Honda shop. An old pair of BDUs and a long sleeve t-shirt rounded my ensemble. Much of my free time was spent trail riding or making plans to go riding. The one video rental store in town had a copy of On Any Sunday. First time I watched it I wanted to be the next Malcolm Smith. I must’ve rented that movie 50 times until I finally bought my own copy, which I still have. I entered my first hare scramble shortly after seeing OAS. I did three laps and was the last guy to cross the finish line Just ahead of the sweep rider. The winner did six laps. In the spring of 87 I entered my first enduro, the old-school time-keeping kind. Again I finished, but my results weren’t that spectacular. However I enjoyed the challenge associated with riding a time-keeper and spent the next 20 years trying to beat the clock.

So what got you hooked?

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) Liked this Post MarkT, 2fishkev, Steve F, Wheel mad, Gr8uncleal, Eazy-X

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

01 Jul 2020 02:50
Gr8uncleal
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
What got you into motorcycles? #2
I decided even a 50cc moped (ie had pedals fitted, well, notionally!) was better than a pushbike!

I remember looking at the bigger bikes in the showroom and thinking jeez, how can people ride those!:EEEK
The following user(s) Liked this Post YZBill

01 Jul 2020 10:45 01 Jul 2020 10:46 by LongStride.
LongStride
Sportsman
Sportsman
More
What got you into motorcycles? #3
Dad was a rider, he had a Yamaha big bear 250 street scrambler, he would sit me on the tank and we would ride for hours, then this movie came out, never forget, left the theater and went straight to the Yamaha shop, I was hooked at 5 years old and never looked back

The following user(s) Liked this Post YZBill

01 Jul 2020 11:12
YZBill
Sportsman
Sportsman
More
Topic Author
What got you into motorcycles? #4

LongStride wrote: Dad was a rider, he had a Yamaha big bear 250 street scrambler, he would sit me on the tank and we would ride for hours...

This message has attachments images.

The following user(s) Liked this Post LongStride

01 Jul 2020 12:28
LongStride
Sportsman
Sportsman
More
What got you into motorcycles? #5

nice Bill, family tradition I suppose, did the same thing for my kids, sorry for the grainy pic, need to rescan my photos

The following user(s) Liked this Post swm, YZBill

01 Jul 2020 13:43
Roadking
Sportsman
Sportsman
More
What got you into motorcycles? #6
Seemed like a natural progression from bicycles. Just needed more speed! First bike was a Kawasaki 120. Don’t know what would have happened if we had mountain bikes back then....who am I kidding. Always need more power!

1971 DT1E major project
1997 Harley Davidison Roadking
1973 DT3
The following user(s) Liked this Post LongStride, YZBill

01 Jul 2020 19:07 01 Jul 2020 19:14 by mdscott.
mdscott
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
What got you into motorcycles? #7
My Mom told me when I was 12 (1965) she bought some motorcycle magazines, she said I couldn't stop looking a them. My uncle bought a Honda Step-thru 50, my two cousins would take turns riding in a empty field in Bellflower, ca. I got my first bike at 13yo, brand new 65 Honda S90.

Thanks Mark
Roseville, Ca.

'76 Bultaco 143 Frontera
'06 GL1800
'01 KDX220
'68 YG5T 80 Trailmaster
74 DT360
75 Norton
73 CB500K
63 C200
87 PW50
64 McClane Edger

01 Jul 2020 19:45 01 Jul 2020 19:53 by JimmyC. Reason: spelling
JimmyC
Novice
Novice
More
What got you into motorcycles? #8
It started here for me. Lil indian Mini bike. Note, throttle was a string, and starter spring broke so I started it with the pull start with out the fan shroud (starter assembly is on the ground). And yes it got me, 10 or so stitches on my right ankle from the flywheel.

01 Jul 2020 20:25
JGersh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
What got you into motorcycles? #9

‘68 DT1
‘70 CT1-B
‘70 HT-1
‘12 Triumph Scrambler

This message has attachments images.

02 Jul 2020 06:57
apex
Content Contributor
Content Contributor
More
What got you into motorcycles? #10
I went to trade school in AZ right out of high school. The last 6 months I was there, the parking space next to mine was filled by a '85 Yamaha RZ350 (yellow black), and a Yamaha FZ600. I thought the RZ350 was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen...I would sit in my car and just stare at it. Decided when I graduate, and get my first job, I would get a yellow black RZ350. And, I did, first motorcycle at 19 years old. First Yamaha enduro came my way in 1997, a '69 DT1B. That's when I became an enduroholic.

Allrighty Then
The following user(s) Liked this Post 2fishkev, LongStride

Moderators: yamadminEnduronutMakotosunDEETVinnieDevinJames Hart