facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Compression

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic Compression

davidscott95 wrote: Hello all. I am new here. could not figure out how to post a new question!!! so I am posting here.
I just got a 1976 (i think) IT400. does not run. no spark. my first assumption is the kill switch. it is really rusty. the bike was sitting outside and has a lot of rust on it, so my next step will be looking at the magneto. But I also want to ask about compression? what range is acceptable? and on this bike, it has a auto decompression box on the front of the cylinder? how does that work? and how do i check compression with that thing in it? Also, the head has TWO spark plug holes! I seem to recall back in the day, we had the second one used as a decompressor. so why would they have one on this if it has the automatic one?
I am sure I will have lots of questions as I get into this bike and tear it down. will probably rebuild the entire bike. so hope to get help from you experts out there!
thanks.

Welcome! David.

I've attached a link below to the IT section. To start a new thread, press "New Topic" on the left.

yamaha-enduros.com/index.php/forums/all-about-the-it-models
22 Jul 2020 12:26 #11

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RT325
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Replied by RT325 on topic Compression

Welcome.
If the decomp isn't working but is shut & sealing pretty good then you should have compression you could just about stand on for a second or two. But so long as you can feel a reasonable bump then it should run. if the decomp is leaking then it should still run as it's designed to start with it open & just bleeds off some off the compression from a hole above the exhaust port. With the rusty kill switch the problem probably isn't in there as just shorts out to stop so chances are it won't short out--so in other words it shouldn't stop it running. Can simply unplug it to eliminate anything going on there. Be nice if you can get it running before dismantling it. I had an IT400 motor the same in a DT250 frame years ago. Was a fun bike. Just be careful with no kill switch if something goes wrong like the throttle sticking. Be sure throttle is operating & shutting right down before trying to start it. I'm forgetting it doesn't spark. CDI spark never looks very strong.
Last edit: 22 Jul 2020 15:57 by RT325.
22 Jul 2020 15:56 #12

Replied by davidscott95 on topic Compression

thanks for the info. when I did a slow kick over I could feel some compression. supposedly it ran a couple of years ago. I determined the kill switch is defective, but not the problem for no spark. it was sitting out in the rain for a couple of years so I am guessing corrosion. next I will check the magneto. Is there a way to verify CDI units? i heard there was a test harness back in the day. Before I try any starting of the engine, I need to drain the tank, and clean the carb.
23 Jul 2020 12:57 #13

Replied by Blukas on topic Compression

Rings might be stuck from sitting. Try putting some penetrant or marvel mystery oil in the cylinder.
04 Oct 2020 12:21 #14

Moderators: yamadminEnduronutMakotosunDEETVinnieDevin