facebook1   youtube1   twitter1   instagram   linkedin1   pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

Redondo BBlue 1972 TS185 Sierra

07 May 2019 15:12
darinm
Collector
Collector
More
Topic Author
Redondo BBlue 1972 TS185 Sierra #11
Oil cover sanded down with some filler, it's in bad shapes with a couple of cracks n gouges and missing the 185 badge, which tends to be expensive so this one will roll without it.

Tank primered.

The primer and silver were polar opposites, I'd never seen a can spray as slow as the primer nor as fast as the silver, it came out fast and thick. Too thick and there is one sag, so it was sanded down and redone.

And here we are with the blue, a hue that on this take makes it look like plastic. Guess I just chose the wrong type/hue and have sanded it down to the silver to start again.

1972 Yamaha CT2 175
1972 Yamaha RT2 360
1972 Suzuki TS 185 Sierra
2001 BMW F650GS
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

22 May 2019 21:15 22 May 2019 21:15 by darinm.
darinm
Collector
Collector
More
Topic Author
Redondo BBlue 1972 TS185 Sierra #12
Sanded the tank down and went on the hunt for some different paint. I'd read that these spray metallics don't cover much, and the undercoat dictates the end color. I picked up a medium blue and this at my local hardware store. Come to find out the Rust-Oleum one does dictate the color, could have skipped the medium blue. It's more Cobalt than I'd wanted, but in all honestly the original Redondo Blue on these bikes is all over the place from images I've seen, and it tends to be too light for my taste.

Or maybe I didn't want to go back through trying to find another metallic blue hue and repainting a third time.

It would have been better with vinyl tape, but she will never be a show bike and masking tape was on hand. Doing a pre-spray wipe down with paint thinner helped clean up the masking tape edges.

If I could start again, I'd do the primer, white for the strips and mask just the stripes, obviously this isn't a paint job that went as planned. Now to let it dry for a day or two before the clear coat. Not too bad for rattle can and masking tape if I may say so. Looks great from 5-10 feet and not as great close up, yet not that far off Suzuki's original paint. The more I looked at the red TS185 the more flaws I saw, the original stripes vary in width.

1972 Yamaha CT2 175
1972 Yamaha RT2 360
2001 BMW F650GS
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this Post Wheel mad

22 May 2019 21:20 22 May 2019 21:21 by darinm.
darinm
Collector
Collector
More
Topic Author
Redondo BBlue 1972 TS185 Sierra #13
The before and after, 33 years sitting outside in a field.

Now just waiting on the plates and then she'll go off to a new home hopefully.

No show bike but hopefully JGersh approves of the Cobalt Blue ;)

1972 Yamaha CT2 175
1972 Yamaha RT2 360
2001 BMW F650GS
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this Post MarkT, Wheel mad, KennyV, JayJay

23 May 2019 09:31
Schu
Open Class
Open Class
More
Redondo BBlue 1972 TS185 Sierra #14
Nicely done!
I really need to try and sell a bike someday......

Schu

"Someday, you'll own a Yamaha"
The following user(s) Liked this Post Wheel mad, darinm

Moderators: MarkTMakotosun