facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram google plus linkedin1 pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Ascot Red 1972 TS185

Ascot Red 1972 TS185 07 Dec 2018 17:46 #21

• darinm
  • darinm's Avatar Topic Author
  • Collector
  • Collector
The seat cover install was not as stressful as on a Yamaha, because you can always redo it, the seat pan has tabs that just bend to hold the cover in place. Horribly hard to get the seat cover taught, I'll take the more stressful Yamaha poke through method any day, because they give you more anchor points too.

After the initial spray the tank looks unreal compared to how it was before.

Unfortunately it didn't as good after "drying". Come to find out Spraymax 2k takes a lot longer to dry in temps below 65, even after 15-16 hours I put a few finger prints in it that needed to be buffed out. Still a marked improvement on the bad side, and the good side looks glorious.

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this Post: 2fishkev, Pillsbury

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1972 Yamaha CT2 175
1972 Suzuki TS185 Sierra
1995 Suzuki DR350

Ascot Red 1972 TS185 08 Dec 2018 08:14 #22

• darinm
  • Collector
  • Collector
While doing the tank it seemed fitting to paint the exhaust too.

Then got her out in her natural environment to get a little muddy.

Rode about two hours and just shy of 30 miles on dirt roads and trails. Always a little worrisome being in the middle of nowhere on something that hasn't been used in so long, it was last registered in 1981, the same year I was born :) No mishaps outside the glass falling out of the mirror, sure is a fun bike to ride.
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Wheel mad

1972 Yamaha CT2 175
1972 Suzuki TS185 Sierra
1995 Suzuki DR350

Ascot Red 1972 TS185 08 Dec 2018 09:59 #23

• Schu
  • Open Class
  • Open Class
I love Michigan with it's Great Lakes and forests, but man the pictures you guys post just can't be beat. It's great to see another vintage enduro get rescued and brought back to life.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: darinm

Schu

"If it's possible to do it two ways, do it the other way first to save time"

Ascot Red 1972 TS185 13 Dec 2018 17:56 #24

• apex
  • Content Contributor
  • Content Contributor

darinm wrote: Jradnich ,sounds like we think the same; 6v halogen is already in the mail, not knowing much about electrical I went with a 25v to be safe, and got a 3 prong wiring adapter so it can be spliced into the old plug wiring. I used a hacksaw to cut the bulb off where it protrudes from the rear of the assembly. I was planning to just epoxy the new bulb straight in, but the H4 base makes even more sense, thanks for the suggestion!

I should have been paying more attention to this site...I have a "horseshoe" headlight on my '69 TS250 that had a popped bulb. The sealed beam is unobtainium. This is what I did-
- Removed the original bulb.
- Measured the hole.
- Went searching and found www.classicandvintagebulbs.com/page3.html who have a 35/35W 6V that drops through the hole with the old bulb out, but has a flange to keep it from dropping inside.
- Sealed up the bulb to the holder with Ultra Gray sealer.
- Soldered wires onto the terminals.

Done deal. Bulb was inexpensive, and 4 years/2000 miles later the bulb still works great!
The following user(s) Liked this Post: mdscott, Gr8uncleal

Allrighty Then

Ascot Red 1972 TS185 13 Dec 2018 20:35 #25

• mdscott
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor
Dont know how i missed this thread, I like your story on page one, bike is really nice and looks fun to ride. You must have gotten an abused CT90, those bikes are bullet proof, my first bike was Honda S90.

Thanks Mark
Roseville, Ca.

'76 Bultaco 143 Frontera
'06 GL1800
07 DL650
74 DT360
75 Norton
73 CB500K
63 C200
87 PW50
64 McClane Edger

Ascot Red 1972 TS185 13 Dec 2018 20:56 #26

• darinm
  • Collector
  • Collector
That's a good site to have bookmarked, thanks Apex. Those beams sure are unobtainium, saw one for $250 with no guarantee it was working. They are kind of ugly anyways so maybe a swap is due if/when the new bulb dies. I got a generic 25/25w 6v for $10 and used glue to hold it in place....figure I can soak it in lacquer remover if it ever needs to come back out in the future. Since it was three prong, easy to get a wiring harness for that and splice into the stock wiring with some bullet connections.

And thanks Mark, agreed the Honda must have been in poor shape. Probably just needed a couple carb cleanings though :)

1972 Yamaha CT2 175
1972 Suzuki TS185 Sierra
1995 Suzuki DR350
Moderators: MarkTMakotosun