facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Flywheel Puller

Replied by DEET on topic Flywheel Puller

Makotosun wrote: Try a quick shot of starting fluid into the spark plug hole, put it quickly back together then kick and see if you get any life out of it.

If so, we will know it is not timing, but fuel. I have had cases where when I did the above, it fired and created enough engine vacuum to pull in fuel through a somewhat plugged carb and would run, albeit badly. I don't say to use starting fluid much, but in this case it can be a quick tool for diagnosis.

I agree... it can be used just for testing without any ill effects.

If you understand how the oil pump works, you will understand why this is not a problem.
Under normal conditions, when you start your engine, it is going to take a few seconds before the oil from the pump starts mixing with the fuel/air charge coming from the carb.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Where the Yamaha Enduro is still a current model...
26 Feb 2015 12:44 #11

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Devin on topic Flywheel Puller

I think the in the "older days" WD40 was alot more flammable. :?: We have a CAT All Terrain Forklift at work. I told them I suspected the fuel injection pump went out. They tried using WD40 and it didn't fire. I brought in a can of starting fluid and it fired. I replaced the fuel injection pump and it ran. I like using starting fluid on both gas/diesel engines only with 1 shot (not extended long term use). I use it to by-pass fuel systems only for testing purpose.

Dave - you bring up a good point: starting fluid lacks lubrication, but also Either/starting fluid will cut the oil (Good at cleaning oil stains). the cylinder walls are lubricated by engine oil and spraying starting fluid to start it (repeatedly) is bad on the engine as the rings will wear out quicker. When the engine will only start with ether, due to rings wearing out and losing compression, it is known as an "ether dependent engine" . This most commonly occurs on diesel engines. I personally don't mind doing a light shot once just to see if it fires. The military loves starting fluid, some of our vehicles will auto-inject it when the temperature's gets cold enough. Glow plugs + Ether at the same time is a bad deal :Ugh
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Bigdog302
Last edit: 26 Feb 2015 23:04 by Devin.
26 Feb 2015 22:48 #12

Replied by apex on topic Flywheel Puller

I'm on the starting fluid side as well. You can tell in a hurry, if the engine won't even try to start at all with a shot starting fluid, then you have more work to do. A shot is all it takes, if the engine will start, it's usually 2nd or 3rd kick.
Allrighty Then
27 Feb 2015 11:06 #13

Replied by Two_Smoke on topic Flywheel Puller

It woud seem although I've bought and used an off brand I have got one of the good ones? at least quality control wise? HAHA
Left in a trail of blue smoke.
1970 Yamaha CT1B - 175
1977 Kawasaki KE 100A
1991 Honda CR 500R
1993 Honda ZR 50R
2014 Yamaha Raptor 250
27 Feb 2015 12:57 #14

• James Hart
  • Supporting Moderator
  • Supporting Moderator

Replied by James Hart on topic Flywheel Puller

haven't used it yet, but I hope it passed the QC check... I bought this cheap one
...slowly rescuing ghosts of a 1971 CT1-C and a 1967 Grand Prix 350 YR1
27 Feb 2015 15:17 #15

Replied by smokindawg on topic Flywheel Puller

I'm working on an LT3 and was pointed to this thread about the puller. I just ordered my Motion Pro Model 08-0026 from ebay for $12.59

I'm looking forward to getting it so I can check/change the points on this bike. Hopefully get some fire going so I can get it running.

If you need the puller, here's the link. Puller!
30 Oct 2015 05:38 #16

Replied by Yamaha 6n on topic Flywheel Puller

I bought one on ebay for $8. Worked perfect.... Be sure to get reverse thread
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Bigdog302
19 Dec 2020 17:18 #17

Replied by Jimmy Pascol on topic Flywheel Puller

Paint the thread directions on the flywheel with some white paint; crank nut is RH thread and inner thread for puller is LH.
Being a burned out geezer that can't remember nothing inspires me to great ideas like that.
26 Dec 2020 06:14 #18

Moderators: yamadminEnduronutMakotosunDEETVinnieDevinJames Hart