facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Advanced Search

Search Results (Searched for: clutch actuator)

• RT325
11 Oct 2017 21:55
Replied by RT325 on topic Rt1 clutch actuator fix.
This would be the same as what i used.
  • RT325
11 Oct 2017 21:53
Replied by RT325 on topic Rt1 clutch actuator fix.
Yes i did that to one of mine. Was a lifetime ago but still using it. Struggling to remember how i did it but i know the cap sits out a few mm so i'd guess i fitted it through from the outside. Then again maybe not as doubt you'd end up with enough sticking through the inside. I'll have a look next time i'm near it. Works well though. In hindsight i think i have to keep the cap screwed on to retain it so must be from the outside in. Would've just bored away till old worm was no more & new one fitted in . Bought a couple of others since then but no covers to fit them in, need about 3 covers as keep swapping one around for the bike flavor of the day. I'll just get some heavy alloy plate with a hole in it to just make a simple thing to hold the actuator--one day!!.
  • Scottddove
11 Oct 2017 18:54
Rt1 clutch actuator fix. was created by Scottddove
So I did some searching and found out that I have the common split nylon actuator. What is the best fix for this? I did see the rd-350 fix. What is recommended by you guys in the know? Been there done that?
  • MarkT
04 Aug 2015 20:59
Replied by MarkT on topic 1975 DT125 Generater/armature help

Thank you RT325. I am very interested in your observations of the 125 electric start models having significantly different parts.

I did as much extensive research as I could on the electric start models sold in the USA and Europe from 1969 to 1980 or so. There appears to be a change in the design somewhere in the mid-1970's. But it also appears that as long as you exchange the complete unit and don't try to "mix and match" parts (early armature with later stator or vice versa), the systems are interchangeable.

What I found was that Yamaha kept the AT1 (1969-73) crankcases (130mm stator mounting diameter) and crankshaft on the electric start models to at least 1980. The kick start only models received a newer "small" crankcase in 1974 (120mm stator mounting diameter).

The new smaller case design also moved the clutch actuator mechanism from inside the right side cover (as found on the AT1 design) to the top of the right side crankcase half.

Top of engine clutch actuator design -Kick start only 125's and 175's after 1973:

Side cover clutch actuator design - Kick start 125's and 175's to 1973, ALL electric start 125's:

RT325- do you have documentation that Yamaha had a electric start 125 Enduro model that had the later style top of engine clutch actuator? Or a smaller (120mm?) mounting?

Every electric start 125 I could find had the AT1-style crankcases including the the side cover clutch actuator. I would be very interested to know if there was a different version made somewhere in the world!

Thank you.
  • RT325
08 Jul 2015 06:03
Replied by RT325 on topic And just who do you think you are?

Hi, yes the clutch lifter mod, i did the same thing years ago for the same reason [the old plastic or nylon one had split] have a few Dt/Rt's some are still being used split-makes then bind etc, but my one flash of briliance was using i think either an RD400 or 350 maybe R5 as had them all at one time. Think it's a 4 start worm by memory--anyway, need some more, shouldn't be hard to find though. thought i was getting a good deal of ebay a few years ago with an RT2Mx lifter with cover for $20 by memory. Thought with a bit of luck she'll be fine. Allas the worm was split--still in use though on my RT2/3 or whatever it is [ratbike].
  • Dave Simons
24 May 2015 18:48
Replied by Dave Simons on topic And just who do you think you are?
Morning folks.

I have an exceedingly beaten up old 360 rt used as a farm bike for the past 30 or so years.

Time to actually get the old girl on the road, ie legal and stuff, as I have an oversized (tall) lad of 20 who would like to learn to ride (at last!!!) He's not a natural so I suspect this girl is the best machine to do it.

I do have a problem though. The worm actuator which operates through the left crank case cover pushing that clutch rod thingy is missing and I'm damned if I can find a parts catalogue with the actual part number and a visual on ebay has not been much help.

The engine runs a treat though, none of that pinging or knocking sound associated with old 2 strokes and is a first kick starter.

I will renovate her aesthetically also, so all advice from the experts will be gratefully received.

Photos will follow.

Regards and thanks

Dave
01 Dec 2014 10:43 - 11 Dec 2014 05:12
Hello everyone! Like probably many people here, I started riding when I was young, quit for a while for college and early work life, but got back into it in 2000. I currently have both a lightweight dualsport bike (09 WR250R), a adventure bike (08 KLR650), on/offroad sidecar rig (06 KLR650 w/Sputnik sidecar), and a trials bike (04 Beta Rev3 270). I (think) I'm about to have a 1972 DT250.. A friend of mine has one that's been sitting in his barn since forever ago when it broke the clutch actuator spool thingie in the LH sidecover and wants it gone, so that's my reason for joining here. Probably gonna need the help of this forum as I try to do a resto on her during our long Michigan winters!

Andy
  • Hammer
28 Aug 2014 06:26 - 28 Aug 2014 07:43
Replied by Hammer on topic And just who do you think you are?
Folks,

New to this board. My Name is Mark Hamersly, and I work at the border for CBP at the San Ysidro Port of Entry; I came here from the SDSO after 9-11, and was initially an INS Inspector. I started doing set-up (un-crating and assembling Yamahas) for San Diego Yamaha in 1969, and racing for them in 1971. I entered the USAF (who wouldn't recognize a Warrior if one kicked them in the &*$ (I got out after the time I was obligated to, used my GI Bill, and took a Warrant as an Army Aviator in the Guard/Reserves). I made expert, racing motocross at Cal Expo in 1973 (on a modified RT-2Enduro!), and promptly left for Vietnam. After my time in SEA, I went to Ramstein, West Germany. After three races on a borrowed Husky 250CR, I got an offer from Dr.Hans Maisch to race for the Maico factory on a 1975 250GP. Coming home, I had multiple surgeries to repair damage to my wrists after being shot and abusing them for three years of racing. So, I stopped racing and rode only in the street while working as Service Manager for American Honda dealer 1058, Valley Motorcycle Sales (now Motoworld in El Cajon). Time ahead, and many surgeries later, and after open heart surgery in 2013, my doctors OK'd a return to racing! I'm now racing Dist 38 desert events on a BEAUTIFULLY restored 1973 Yamaha 250MX, and my 'barely street legal bike, is a 1973 Yamaha RT-3, 360 Enduro, modified like I would have in 1973, IF I'd had the money (As a USAF A1C/E-3, I made $288 a month). The RT-3 now had 'modern' footpegs and a silenced original Bassani expansion chamber as well. Plus, I have a Don Vesco (We miss you Don old friend!) "Skinny Fat" tank that's being painted. I have also had the machining done to convert the RT-3 to the use of a Yamaha R-5 clutch actuator, tius no longer being dependent on the stock plastic actuator. The BEST thing about riding the 360? Knowing that when I start it, and ride down my driveway onto the street, the EPA and Cal Air Resources Board are just having FITS!

Pictures of both are attached to this. I have enough spares to keep these two running for 15 years or more.

Hammer

Displaying 251 - 258 out of 258 results.