facebook1   youtube1   twitter1   instagram   linkedin1   pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

My RT fix'n up project.

21 Feb 2019 00:01
Gr8uncleal
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
My RT fix'n up project. #71
Don't give my missus ideas.............!!

Will it have its own kitchen, will you have intercom between all the buildings?!

Be sure to show the finished building.
The following user(s) Liked this Post KennyV

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

21 Feb 2019 05:01
KennyV
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
Topic Author
My RT fix'n up project. #72

Gr8uncleal wrote: Don't give my missus ideas.............!!

Will it have its own kitchen, will you have intercom between all the buildings?!

Be sure to show the finished building.

No, it's going to be simple and basic. I have my shop so now she can have her place and all is happy! :)

71 Z50 Minitrail
72 RT2
74 250A
78 XT500E
06 F650GS Dakar

17 Mar 2019 14:35 17 Mar 2019 18:14 by KennyV.
KennyV
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
Topic Author
My RT fix'n up project. #73
Progress has been a little slow but I've made a little on the fix'n up. The cylinder and head are done and back on and torqued down. I'll be checking and re- torqueing over next few days until gaskets are compressed. As it sits today,

One of the things I had to fix was the kick start pedal. After years of being kick around it had worn to a point that it was awkward to start and easy for my foot to slip off halfway through. I ground a new stop surface with an angle on the shaft. Being careful not to get to hot and mess up the chrome. I welded the worn out hole in the pedal so I could bore a new clean hole. Then welded on some extra metal to grind a matching angle on the shaft and some zinc plating. My thought was with the angles, this would eliminate the pedal from pushing up against the tension spring. Hopefully this is going make starting easier.

And last but not least, I couldn't put a rusty crappie looking seat latch back on so I did some fix'n up on it also. New paint, zinc plating and I reproduced the pin with stainless steel.

Oh yeah, the she shed is progressing nicely,

71 Z50 Minitrail
72 RT2
74 250A
78 XT500E
06 F650GS Dakar
The following user(s) Liked this Post Devin, Rick C.

06 Apr 2019 20:14
KennyV
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
Topic Author
My RT fix'n up project. #74
I'm making a little progress with paint work on my project. Some of the parts are ready for clearcoat, oil tank is ready and gas hopefully will soon be ready for decals and clear coat.

I did have to do a little welding on the tab at the rear of the tank. The metal had fatigued and it was about to break off.

71 Z50 Minitrail
72 RT2
74 250A
78 XT500E
06 F650GS Dakar
Attachments:

06 Apr 2019 20:34 07 Apr 2019 04:53 by KennyV.
KennyV
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
Topic Author
My RT fix'n up project. #75
Here's the paint I'm using. This silver / aluminum dries with a flat finish that's a bit bright but after a coat of spray max clear I'm very happy with it.

I really like the spray max clearcoat, great stuff! Due to my poor planing about a month ago I ended up with a half can of spray max left over. Supposedly it only last 48 hours after its mixed. This can sat on a shelf in my storage room for a month but when I shook it last week it seemed ok so I did a color test with the silver paint. It didn't exactly spray, it was more like a splatter but it's just a test. I did the test on the head light bucket and decided to just let it dry and do it over. Next day I was pleasantly surprised. So I'm going wet sand with some 1000 and another coat with a new can.

71 Z50 Minitrail
72 RT2
74 250A
78 XT500E
06 F650GS Dakar
Attachments:

11 Apr 2019 11:36 11 Apr 2019 11:55 by Devin.
Devin
Supporting Moderator
Supporting Moderator
More
My RT fix'n up project. #76
Making good progress. :likey

11 Apr 2019 12:06
KennyV
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
Topic Author
My RT fix'n up project. #77
So I was in my local small town hardware store and noticed these $2.50 key chains.

My understanding is there was originally some kind of a cloth strap on the big rubber band that holds the rear of the gas tank. So I bought one of the key chains and removed the carabiner and ring, and slipped it over the big rubber band. I think it's going to work good!

71 Z50 Minitrail
72 RT2
74 250A
78 XT500E
06 F650GS Dakar
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this Post Steve F, Badger52

11 Apr 2019 12:07
KennyV
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
Topic Author
My RT fix'n up project. #78

Devin wrote: Making good progress. :likey

Thanks!

71 Z50 Minitrail
72 RT2
74 250A
78 XT500E
06 F650GS Dakar

30 Apr 2019 17:32 30 Apr 2019 17:35 by KennyV.
KennyV
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
Topic Author
My RT fix'n up project. #79
My fix'n up project is still moving slow. It's time here for me the get garden ready, get next year's firewood put up and most importantly the she shed done. I got done with firewood early today and I'm happy to make a little progress. I'm back to where I was six weeks ago when I realized I had a cylinder bore issue. Many, many thanks again to Enduronut for fixing my bad bore job.

Here it is at this stage again,

All of the silver paint is done and waiting for clearcoat. New gas and oil tank decals arrived yesterday and will go on next rain day.

w

And most important, the she shed is almost done!

71 Z50 Minitrail
72 RT2
74 250A
78 XT500E
06 F650GS Dakar
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this Post MarkT, 2fishkev, Steve F, RT325

04 May 2019 10:00 04 May 2019 10:05 by KennyV.
KennyV
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
Topic Author
My RT fix'n up project. #80
I took the day off from my chores to get my tank decals on. These decals are from ebay seller vintagemt. They came with installation instructions that have really helped with getting them on. Fortunately I have the original tanks that I used to get reference points and measurements.

71 Z50 Minitrail
72 RT2
74 250A
78 XT500E
06 F650GS Dakar
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this Post Badger52

Moderators: MakotosunDEETDevinDmanEnduronutVinnieyamadminJames Hart