facebook1   youtube1   twitter1   instagram   linkedin1   pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

My RT fix'n up project.

06 Jan 2019 13:52 06 Jan 2019 13:57 by KennyV.
KennyV
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
Topic Author
My RT fix'n up project. #41
Today I had a nice weather window to get clearcoat on my fork legs and few other parts. I was able to put together a rotisserie to help with the fork legs. Once again I used a few wraps of masking tape to make the PVC fit snug in the fork legs.

I used some smaller CPVC and thread rod to help make it easier to clearcoat the smaller parts. I'll let everything set and cure for a couple days and then I can finally put the forks back together with my new fork tubes from Franks. I really like the Spraymax 2K Clear Glamour clear coat, it's easy to use, easy to get a good wet look finish and it dries fairly fast even with temp in the mid 50's. Good stuff!

71 Z50 Minitrail
72 RT2
74 250A
78 XT500E
06 F650GS Dakar
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 Jan 2019 10:11
KennyV
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
Topic Author
My RT fix'n up project. #42
The forks are done, one more thing crossed off the to do list. I'm happy to say there were no issues with the reproduction fork tubes from Frank's. I'm very happy with them, well worth the investment.

I'm now ready to make a trip to the powdercoater.

And now I can get back to my piston issue. I was surprised to find a single ring MX piston but thought it was running ok, no excessive piston slap, so I'd keep running that way. I thought I should at least measure the piston / cylinder clearance to make sure all's good. Good news and bad news, good news it wasn't bored to first over as the PO was informed from the original owner. Bad news, the piston / cylinder clearance is at .0047. Thanks to Enduronut, I now have a NOS first over piston and rings. I figure that a new piston, rings and fresh bore I'll be good for as long as I'll be able to ride it. :)

71 Z50 Minitrail
72 RT2
74 250A
78 XT500E
06 F650GS Dakar
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this Post Snglsmkr

19 Jan 2019 13:39
KennyV
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
Topic Author
My RT fix'n up project. #43
I made a little progress on my RT fix'n up project. Today mission was get the frame cleaned up smooth all of the rough and jagged edges left from the original welding before a trip to the powdercoater. Another thing was to add a couple mounting tabs for the skid plate front bolts and eliminate the sheet metal mounting straps.

71 Z50 Minitrail
72 RT2
74 250A
78 XT500E
06 F650GS Dakar
Attachments:

20 Jan 2019 01:01
Gr8uncleal
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
My RT fix'n up project. #44
No wonder you can work 24/7, 365 days a year - you've got a ****ing wood burner in your garage! I say garage, but in the UK we call something that size a small house!!

Keep up the good work.
The following user(s) Liked this Post shyted, Snglsmkr

20 Jan 2019 09:14
RT360Fan
Open Class
Open Class
More
My RT fix'n up project. #45
Great thread and great job!

20 Jan 2019 13:08
KennyV
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
Topic Author
My RT fix'n up project. #46

Gr8uncleal wrote: No wonder you can work 24/7, 365 days a year - you've got a ****ing wood burner in your garage! I say garage, but in the UK we call something that size a small house!!

Keep up the good work.

Thanks Gr8uncleal! The ****ing wood stove is nice and a necessity here in the winter and our house isn't much bigger than my garage. My wife reminds me of that whenever she gives directions to people coming to visit, "it's the house with the garage that's as big as the house". It was by plan though, we're getting old and need to downsize and have less stuff. :)

71 Z50 Minitrail
72 RT2
74 250A
78 XT500E
06 F650GS Dakar
The following user(s) Liked this Post Snglsmkr

20 Jan 2019 13:09
KennyV
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
Topic Author
My RT fix'n up project. #47

RT360Fan wrote: Great thread and great job!

Thanks! I still have a long way to go.

71 Z50 Minitrail
72 RT2
74 250A
78 XT500E
06 F650GS Dakar

20 Jan 2019 13:22
KennyV
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
Topic Author
My RT fix'n up project. #48
Today's project was going to be smoothing the sharp corners and rough edges on the frame and that changed when I got to the kick stand bracket. It had been re-welded sometime in the past and it obviously need to be re-done. So I spent the day grinding out old weld and re-welding. I only ground out and welded about 1/4 of the bracket at time hoping the alignment and position didn't change. Knowing how things twist and move when welding, my dilemma now is should I put enough together to be able to put the wheels on and make sure the kick stand alignment and position is good before powder coating???:S

71 Z50 Minitrail
72 RT2
74 250A
78 XT500E
06 F650GS Dakar
Attachments:

22 Jan 2019 11:19
KennyV
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
Topic Author
My RT fix'n up project. #49
After much debating with myself I decided it's better to be safe than sorry. And I'm happy to say the kick stand alignment and position is still good. No apparent twisting or distortion from the re-welding. Now it's time for a trip to the powdercoater.

71 Z50 Minitrail
72 RT2
74 250A
78 XT500E
06 F650GS Dakar
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this Post RT360Fan, Pillsbury

23 Jan 2019 18:43
Snglsmkr
Sportsman
Sportsman
More
My RT fix'n up project. #50
Thanks for all the pics and detailed descriptions. This will certainly be an "improved" RT when finished.
The following user(s) Liked this Post KennyV

Moderators: MakotosunDEETDevinDmanEnduronutVinnieyamadminJames Hart