facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram google plus linkedin1 pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: My RT fix'n up project.

My RT fix'n up project. 19 Nov 2018 18:02 #1

• KennyV
  • KennyV's Avatar Topic Author
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor
I've really enjoyed several months of riding and reliving memories of my first RT2. It's now time to start the redo! The redo project got started a little sooner than I had planned. I ordered new fork tubes from Frank's and got a call they wanted to verify the length. So I figured good time to start the project!
So far it looks like I'm going to need new steering stem bearings and a new steering damper mounting screw/pin. When I tried to remove the damper the threaded portion of the screw/pin came out but the pin part stayed in. I was able to drill a hole in the pin and use an easy-out to work it free and pull it out. So I made a new one, a stainless steel socket head new one :)
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this Post: RT325

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last Edit: by KennyV.

My RT fix'n up project. 19 Nov 2018 18:04 #2

• MarkT
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor
Nice work! :likey

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250

My RT fix'n up project. 19 Nov 2018 19:42 #3

• RT325
  • Collector
  • Collector
Oh to have a good lathe!! With my damper on one of mine i was VMXing it was pretty sloppy where the screw nose piece fitted so tapped a 6mm thread in the damper hole. Long time ago & don't think i drilled the thread out of the steering yoke so must've had the Allen screw just finding the start of the thread in the damper but not sure now. Made it nice & positive with no backlash--I realise yours will be a good fit--machined to fit. Must've been a delicate job drilling the broken pin to get it out.

My RT fix'n up project. 20 Nov 2018 04:43 #4

• KennyV
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor

RT325 wrote: Oh to have a good lathe!! With my damper on one of mine i was VMXing it was pretty sloppy where the screw nose piece fitted so tapped a 6mm thread in the damper hole. Long time ago & don't think i drilled the thread out of the steering yoke so must've had the Allen screw just finding the start of the thread in the damper but not sure now. Made it nice & positive with no backlash--I realise yours will be a good fit--machined to fit. Must've been a delicate job drilling the broken pin to get it out.

Thanks, it helped having a 5mm transfer punch to center punch the pin in the center.

My RT fix'n up project. 24 Nov 2018 18:24 #5

• KennyV
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor
I get to cross one off my to do list!

I got my homemade RT rack back from the chrome plater today.
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Makotosun, Steve71, MarkT, Steve F, Swoop56, KJB, Snglsmkr, Wheel mad

My RT fix'n up project. 24 Nov 2018 23:23 #6

• KJB
  • Open Class
  • Open Class
Looks like a nice addition ,handy as well. You should have 110% "self satisfaction..." Well done .

KB ( Australia)

'71 Yamaha DT1 .................................. '70 Suzuki T350
'72 Yamaha AT3 . ................................... '73 Suzuki T500
'86 Yamaha DT175 ..................................'68 Fuji Rabbit Hi Super 90
'06 Yamaha PW50

My RT fix'n up project. 25 Nov 2018 04:56 #7

• KennyV
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor

KJB wrote: Looks like a nice addition ,handy as well. You should have 110% "self satisfaction..." Well done .

Thanks!

My RT fix'n up project. 27 Nov 2018 14:04 #8

• KennyV
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor
Today's project was to work on the wiring harness. The 46 year old sleeving on the main part of the harness has seen better days.

I wanted to replace the sleeving but after looking at all of the connectors with the insulators heat sealed to the wires I decide on a plan B. I cut, or broke the sleeving off and used a piece of self closing braded wire loom, a couple pieces of heat shrink tubing keep the ends from unraveling and a few zipties.

Attachments:

My RT fix'n up project. 28 Nov 2018 00:03 #9

• Gr8uncleal
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor
Like an awful lot of us, I guess, I had the same problem with the sleeve covering the wires. However, I have gone down the stripping and re-covering route, using new silver/grey sleeving provided by DEET. A bit of wire cutting and crimping on of new connectors involved, but nearly finished now. I even managed to remove the tiny (2.9mm?) connectors from the block connector on the ignition switch wires (using a watchmaker's screwdriver) and so could re-use that. The corresponding block on the main harness was already broken and so a replacement was sourced from DEET.

Cracking workshop by the way!!
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Snglsmkr

My RT fix'n up project. 28 Nov 2018 07:13 #10

• KennyV
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor
Thanks Gr8uncleal, I may end up doing the same as you have done. Once I'm finished with this project, if the braded wire loom is too noticeable and I don't like the way it looks I'll go the route of replacing the sleeving. I've got a very long way to go with this project. Once I receive my new fork tubes, have forks back together and everything in front done I'll disassemble the rest of the bike.

Last Edit: by KennyV.
Moderators: MakotosunDEETDevinDmanEnduronutVinnieyamadminJames Hart