facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram google plus linkedin1 pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Enduro 175 Restoration by High School

Enduro 175 Restoration by High School 06 Nov 2018 20:04 #1

• Crowvet
  • Crowvet's Avatar Topic Author
  • Mini Enduro
  • Mini Enduro
Hello, I am the shop teacher for a rural high school in Oregon. We are starting to restore a 1972 175 CT2 I believe. It currently is disassembled farther than the pictures show. We are looking forward to the project and will post updates here. Check in to see how we are doing.

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Rick C., Hammer, Snglsmkr, darinm, Rhetttro

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last Edit: by Makotosun.

Enduro 175 Restoration by High School 06 Nov 2018 20:05 #2

• Crowvet
  • Mini Enduro
  • Mini Enduro
More:

Attachments:

Enduro 175 Restoration by High School 06 Nov 2018 20:10 #3

• Crowvet
  • Mini Enduro
  • Mini Enduro
Some more:

Attachments:

Enduro 175 Restoration by High School 06 Nov 2018 20:16 #4

• Crowvet
  • Mini Enduro
  • Mini Enduro
Today we sandblasted the tail light housing, the chain guard, and battery box. We then primed those parts. The previous owner pressed out the swing arm bushings and dented the swing arm on both sides. the students welded the dents in and ground and filed.

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Hammer, Billy

Last Edit: by Makotosun. Reason: attachment didn't load

Enduro 175 Restoration by High School 06 Nov 2018 20:27 #5

• RT325
  • Collector
  • Collector
Welcome aboard--from NZ down under. Man secondary school was never like that when i was started there at age 13, umm, 59 years ago lol, or i'd still be going to school. Great to see kids doing this sort of thing with an enthusiastic teacher. I worked in the local Yamaha shop back when these were new so know them well but then again so do a lot of folk on this site. Some of the restoration on here leave me head scratching as are better than new some of them, plus i'm just to damn lazy to get into restoring. Be careful with this model as kick back pretty hard so i'd be setting the timing on the fractionally retarded side, like points at 12thou instead of 15thou. We had a heavy flywheel brass ring we fitted to any of these that we sold to farmers to make easier to start & also made them into a lazy but still powerful motor --if that makes sense!!. Had our "big brute" farmers kicking them so hard that things would break in the kick mechanism. the first model CT1 piston port motor of 1970/71 had a heavier mag flywheel combined with a softer ported motor before reed valve & was great. in saying that--these are great but in a bit of a racehorse way compared to a Clydesdale CT1. Jeez i talk rubbish. Hope i've not put ya off. Cheers.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: swm, Crowvet

Enduro 175 Restoration by High School 06 Nov 2018 20:32 #6

• Crowvet
  • Mini Enduro
  • Mini Enduro
Thanks for the input RT325, That is what we are looking for...Advice and info are always welcome. Hope we can do this justice. Hopefully can do a little to it each day. The frame will be blasted next and then install the swing arm and bushings.

Enduro 175 Restoration by High School 06 Nov 2018 23:39 #7

• apex
  • Content Contributor
  • Content Contributor
Nice to hear about some areas still have High School automotive or mechanical shop. The only classes that mentally got me through HS was Auto Shop. Nice to see another CT2 getting the business on Y-E.com!
The following user(s) Liked this Post: asco

Allrighty Then

Enduro 175 Restoration by High School 07 Nov 2018 01:45 #8

• RT325
  • Collector
  • Collector
Re the bushes, not a problem but the original swing arm bushes never really wear out & any play is usually the swing arm bolt has been left loose or not tightened when needed & play is on the bolt. But main point is being rubber stretchy bushes--whatever ya call them--it pays to tighten them in the neutral position with them connected to the shocks as they would have a limited range of movement if say you tightened the bolt with the arm hanging down then pulled it up against rubber tension to connect to the shocks, then having to travel further with the shocks--could damage them if going beyond the stretch limit.

Enduro 175 Restoration by High School 07 Nov 2018 18:36 #9

• Crowvet
  • Mini Enduro
  • Mini Enduro
Today we blasted the kickstand, skid plate, and brake lever. Primed and painted:

Attachments:

Enduro 175 Restoration by High School 07 Nov 2018 19:06 #10

• asco
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor

Crowvet wrote: Today we blasted the kickstand, skid plate, and brake lever. Primed and painted

If blasting leaves pit-marks a wire wheel on a grinding motor is a good alternative.

A drill - wire wheel will take a rusted exhaust to where it needs to be.

a
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Crowvet

YAMA-LAND RESTORATIONS
818-521-2109
MINIBIKESERVICE@AOL.COM CUSTOM MINIBIKE (RALPH) 2002 110cc XR PAX RACING 1971 125cc AT1-C (DOROTHEA) 1971 175cc CT1-C (BRANDY) 1970 250cc DT1-C (MONICA) 1973 100cc Hodaka Combat Rat (ABBY NORMAL) 1969 125cc AT1-M MX (DELILAH)
Moderators: MakotosunDEETDevinDmanEnduronutVinnieyamadminJames Hart