facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram google plus linkedin1 pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1974 DT360 "Clover"

1974 DT360 "Clover" 28 Jun 2018 14:18 #1

• meadeam
  • meadeam's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sportsman
  • Sportsman
Here Goes. On the first pass, I do not want to do a complete restore on this bike, but rather get it road and trail-worthy first. I have never done a restore on a bike in this condition. The last moto I brought back from a barn was a Yamaha XS400 that didn't need too much, and was in much better overall condition.

Excited to get started!

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Enduronut, Pillsbury

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last Edit: by meadeam.

1974 DT360 "Clover" 28 Jun 2018 14:34 #2

• Mothersbaugh
  • Collector
  • Collector
Check (and perhaps re-check) timing. And then check timing again.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: meadeam

1974 DT360 "Clover" 14 Jul 2018 18:29 #3

• meadeam
  • Sportsman
  • Sportsman
I finally got to spend a little time on the DT360 today. Just getting it into my tiny shop was a full day's work. I had to fight for every square inch, and will need to be vigilant to keep my wife and kids from attempting to re-colonize.

As mentioned, I don't plan to do a full restore. I want the bike freshened up, but it will keep its patina for another year at least. Just a bit more tear down, and I'll start going back the other way. Everything is filthy and rusty, but operable so far. Carb is clean and ready for re-build. I'll replace the petcock.

The only concerning thing I've discovered so far was in the pipe. When I removed it from the engine, I found it was full of oil It started to dump on the floor so I quickly tipped it up to prevent a big mess. I didn't have anything the pour it into at the time, so it remains to be seen how much is in there. It seemed kind of full. Why would the pipe have that much oil in it?

Tomorrow I'll take off the flywheel and see what lies beneath. I'll probably have the stator rebuilt.
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Bobsbike

Last Edit: by meadeam.

1974 DT360 "Clover" 18 Jul 2018 06:56 #4

• meadeam
  • Sportsman
  • Sportsman
I wasn't going to do so much teardown, but the further I got, the more it seemed necessary. The motor is out now, which I wasn't sure I was going to do this time around. There wasn't as much oil in the pipe as I thought. The transmission/clutch oil was so clean it looked like it was just filled yesterday. Peering into the exhaust side of the cylinder with a flashlight shows a pretty good looking piston, although I will pull the head and make sure.

I didn't break any bolts, or round off any nuts/bolts. Only stripped one screw head, but I got it out. So far so good. I'm going slow due to constant interruptions from my loving family, but I wouldn't have any other way.

Next steps will be to inventory parts removed up to now and find a decent method of organization/storage until I begin restoring/replacing individual parts. After that I will continue the teardown. I should be down to the frame and swing arm soon.

Attachments:

Last Edit: by Makotosun.

1974 DT360 "Clover" 18 Jul 2018 12:34 #5

• Rick C.
  • Open Class
  • Open Class
If you soak the threads with Kroil, it makes things easier.
Buy some baggies ( sandwich and bigger ones ) bag and tag where they belong on the bike.
Also you may want to burn out the pipe over a campfire, or use oven cleaner for a day or 2 and a ton of boiling hot water to clear it out.
A lot of people forget about cleaning out their exhaust pipes.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: meadeam

Last Edit: by Rick C..

1974 DT360 "Clover" 18 Jul 2018 12:38 #6

• Rick C.
  • Open Class
  • Open Class
BEST stuff ever !

www.kanolabs.com/msn/

1974 DT360 "Clover" 18 Jul 2018 16:45 #7

• DouglasDT
  • Mini Enduro
  • Mini Enduro
When I bought my bike, the pipe had a lot of oil in it too. In my case the oil tank had emptied into the crankcase. If the checkball fails in the oil pump, that's what happens. Was your oil tank empty?
The following user(s) Liked this Post: GFrench

1974 DT360 "Clover" 20 Jul 2018 06:49 #8

• meadeam
  • Sportsman
  • Sportsman

DouglasDT wrote: When I bought my bike, the pipe had a lot of oil in it too. In my case the oil tank had emptied into the crankcase. If the checkball fails in the oil pump, that's what happens. Was your oil tank empty?

yeah, oil tank was empty for the most part.

1974 DT360 "Clover" 20 Jul 2018 06:56 #9

• meadeam
  • Sportsman
  • Sportsman
Down to the frame now. It's going to take some serious work to get ready for paint. I am excited to be turning a corner though.

I ordered a flywheel puller which should be here shortly.

I know for a fact I have lost and/or mislabeled a few fasteners, and destroyed some rotten rubber grommets.

The wiring is all intact and remains wrapped in the original individual assemblies, so hopefully it all still works and I can get it back together.

Attachments:

Last Edit: by Makotosun.

1974 DT360 "Clover" 22 Jul 2018 19:11 #10

• meadeam
  • Sportsman
  • Sportsman
The flywheel puller I ordered arrived yesterday. In between other tasks around the house and yard, I pulled the flywheel, removed the stator, and pulled the head. I tried to get the cylinder off as well, but the nuts were not budging. I was afraid of breaking the bolts, so I left it over night with a heavy dose of PB Blaster. Tomorrow I will go buy an extension for my impact driver that will reach down there, and try again.

I'll send the stator and flywheel out to be rebuilt. I'll post up better pictures of the cylinder and piston when I can, and will ask for opinions on how to proceed with them.
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Hammer, Coey66

• Page:
Moderators: MakotosunDEETDevinDmanEnduronutVinnieyamadminJames Hart