facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram google plus linkedin1 pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: ‘70 CT1B Just like mom used to have...

‘70 CT1B Just like mom used to have... 03 Dec 2017 19:00 #1

• JGersh
  • JGersh's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sportsman
  • Sportsman
1970 Alabama Hills, CA

Today I woke up and decided it’s due time to begin working on my ‘70 CT1. I picked the bike up 8 months ago from a couple of kids who found it a shed they were hired to clean out for a neighbor lady. The bike has only 952 original miles on clock and only things that were missing were the gas cap and a key. From spending time on this forum I learned that when a full restoration is the goal that all experienced restorers recommend to get the bike running before tearing it apart. That said, on first inspection, the missing gas cap lead to a thick crust of rust and a rodent nest in the gas tank. Rather than attempt to clean up this mess I delivered the tank to GTL in Glendale, CA for a thorough cleaning and lining. So today’s tasks were a wash and degrease of the engine due to what appeared to be years of a leaky oil tank, remove and inspect the carb and see if the bike has spark.

Inspection of the carb showed nothing more than some mild varnish from being left with fuel in the bowl. It looks like it’s time to invest in a Harbor Freight Ultrasonic cleaner.

The next step was to replace the the original “keyless” ignition switch with a NOS switch I picked up on EBay. Pulled the plug, turned the key, kicked it over and YES WE HAVE SPARK !!! I then decided to pull the oil tank and the oil pump cover to see how things look. To my surprise the tank was half full with what appeared to be 40 year old oil and the pump looked like just like it did when the bike rolled off the showroom floor 47 years ago.

That’s all for now until the gas tank returns and the petcock and carb rebuild bits arrive... I have a good feeling about this one.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) Liked this Post: Devin, MarkT, relic, 1971DT250, Pillsbury, plaibike, Dave The Wave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

‘68 DT1
‘70 CT1-B
‘70 HT-1
‘12 Triumph Scrambler

‘70 CT1B Just like mom used to have... 04 Dec 2017 00:14 #2

• RT325
  • Collector
  • Collector
You're onto a winner there, that's good. The oil tank site glass often leaks with old age [bit like me]. Love the old CT1's. Had a guy here back when they were the current model & he got some porting specs from the states then made a pipe too & hell did that wake it up!!.

‘70 CT1B Just like mom used to have... 04 Dec 2017 05:10 #3

• Dave The Wave
  • Open Class
  • Open Class
JGersh - Great bike! I used to own a 1968 CT1 and loved it. I wish I still had it. It was nice and light and easy to ride. Where are you getting your carb. and petcock rebuild parts? I need the same things for A 360 I'm presently rebuilding. Good luck with your project..

Last Edit: by Dave The Wave.

‘70 CT1B Just like mom used to have... 04 Dec 2017 06:14 #4

• JGersh
  • Sportsman
  • Sportsman
It looks like between Partzilla and Speed and Sport most of the pieces are available. Speed and Sport charges a premium but has some of the hard to find pieces.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Dave The Wave

‘68 DT1
‘70 CT1-B
‘70 HT-1
‘12 Triumph Scrambler

‘70 CT1B Just like mom used to have... 04 Dec 2017 07:45 #5

• Devin
  • Supporting Moderator
  • Supporting Moderator
  • Cell 805-914-8299

Dave The Wave wrote: JGersh - Great bike! I used to own a 1968 CT1 and loved it. I wish I still had it. It was nice and light and easy to ride. Where are you getting your carb. and petcock rebuild parts? I need the same things for A 360 I'm presently rebuilding. Good luck with your project..

1969 was the first year of the CT1, and they were painted California orange. In 1968 the first enduro was made, the DT1, it was peral white 250cc.

Last Edit: by Devin.

‘70 CT1B Just like mom used to have... 04 Dec 2017 07:48 #6

• Devin
  • Supporting Moderator
  • Supporting Moderator
  • Cell 805-914-8299

JGersh wrote:
The next step was to replace the the original “keyless” ignition switch with a NOS switch I picked up on EBay.

If you still have the old ignition switch and want to sell it, I’d be interested in purchasing it.

‘70 CT1B Just like mom used to have... 04 Dec 2017 08:20 #7

• t-bone
  • Sportsman
  • Sportsman
Wow. Have never seen such a brand new looking oil pump on a bike that old. Amazing! Love the badge bike CT1! I’ve got a 69 and 70. Great project. I’ll be watching.

‘70 CT1B Just like mom used to have... 04 Dec 2017 12:14 #8

• JGersh
  • Sportsman
  • Sportsman
Devin - I will send you a photo of the old ignition switch tonight.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Devin

‘68 DT1
‘70 CT1-B
‘70 HT-1
‘12 Triumph Scrambler

‘70 CT1B Just like mom used to have... 04 Dec 2017 17:53 #9

• JGersh
  • Sportsman
  • Sportsman

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

‘68 DT1
‘70 CT1-B
‘70 HT-1
‘12 Triumph Scrambler

‘70 CT1B Just like mom used to have... 05 Dec 2017 13:05 #10

• shyted
  • Open Class
  • Open Class
Hey j,great to know you're doing the bike.
Going to start getting bits for mine too . I need a front mudgard.I mailed a guy in Idaho as he had a nice one but wouldn't post it overseas.
You boys are so luckey having good access to parts,and good weather,and cheap fuel and wide open spaces.
Look forward to see the development J.
Regards Dave.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: JGersh

Moderators: MakotosunDEETDevinDmanEnduronutVinnieyamadminJames Hart