facebook1   youtube1   twitter1   instagram   linkedin1   pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

DT400C refresh

30 Mar 2018 18:41
relic
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
Topic Author
DT400C refresh #61

Its "Good Friday" holiday here so I had a chance to do two rides, both about five miles in length. So far the bike is running very well. Temps are still hovering around the freezing mark and the back roads although down to gravel in some spots are mostly ice and hard packed snow so my riding is limited. It seems to me that spring is late but my wife reminded me that I whine like this every March so I guess the weather is probably normal.

Yet to do? Strap on my Wolfman tank bag and my official Yamaha tool bag. I really like having a tank bag on my bikes for a place to put paperwork, gloves, glasses, a bottle of water etc and the little Wolfman bag works great. The Yamaha tool bag straps to the back rack and was given to me by a buddy. Its small but will hold some tools and spare parts. I think it originally was on his XT350.

This end to end refresh cost me a total of $1220.29 That's Cdn dollars of course. If you've been here since the first post you'll remember that I had hoped that the top end would still be within spec, (I did it about 4000 miles ago) but that wasn't the case. The Wiseco piston kit and the sublet of the bore job cost me a little over $300. The other engine parts, brgs, seals, gaskets, etc (all OEM) came to just under $200.
I could have gotten some more use from both the tires although the front had been on since 2010 and the rear even though much newer was getting worn down. Two new tires cost me about $165.
The complete steering head brgs, (all OEM parts) was about $55. I've mentioned the throttle cable from HVC and the left switch from the Vintage Spoke, the speedo and tacho face plate decals from Diablo Cycle and then there was a couple of NOS parts through E-Bay; all of which came to almost $300. There was a chain and counter shaft sprocket, parts to repair my decomp cable, new in line oil and fuel filters, the headlamp and a few rattle cans of various paints.

With only twenty miles of break in riding so far, there is still lots of time for something to go wrong so I'm not saying the refresh was a total success--- yet. But so far, I'm very happy with everything and have no regrets. I think I accomplished almost everything I set out to do and I'm looking forward to this season and hopefully lots of trouble free miles of DT400 riding.

Thanks to everyone who had a look and to those who commented. I hope to have entertained some of you along the way. B)
And if you're really bored here's a video I shot today. Its far too long and the sound is very low, (cheap go-pro look a like) so turn up your volume.

And why is it that I can do things time after time in a smooth and professional manner until I turn the cam on? You'll note that I have trouble finding the petcock to turn the gas on. And then I kill the choke way too soon, (its only 34 degrees out) and she hesitates a bit as I take off. But once underway all is good. At least I didn't fall off making the tight U turns...

Ken

I wonder where this goes...?
Daily riders-1976 DT400C, 1972 Suzuki T250 Hustler, 1971 Hodaka Ace 100B+, 1974 Moto Guzzi Eldorado.
The following user(s) Liked this Post bluntz465, Blackhat250

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

30 Mar 2018 22:08
Biknflyfisher
Open Class
Open Class
More
DT400C refresh #62
Where do you live, the North Pole??
I had over 80 degrees in my back yard in Central California this afternoon....
Ya'all gotta move further south.
Biknflyfisher

1983 IT490K; 2007 Yamaha FJR 1300,
2003 KTM 450exc
Too many fly rods,,,

31 Mar 2018 00:02
Mothersbaugh
Collector
Collector
More
DT400C refresh #63

Biknflyfisher wrote: Where do you live, the North Pole??
I had over 80 degrees in my back yard in Central California this afternoon....
Ya'all gotta move further south.
Biknflyfisher

Some of us own too many guns to move to California. Just sayin'....
The following user(s) Liked this Post Hammer, Bent Trigger, AirborneSilva

05 Jun 2018 16:19
AirborneSilva
Sportsman
Sportsman
More
DT400C refresh #64
Just read through the whole thread, great write-up I learned a bit like I was not aware that you could sleeve our barrels. I have my DT400 barrel at the machine shop having it bored out and they have to go to 87mm and I had to special order a wiseco piston which takes three weeks for them to make it. Since I knew that 87mm was max I just bought another barrel to have as a spare (it's currently at 85.5mm), I guess I could have saved the money if I can have it sleeved. Also heard about the dreaded throttle cable not fitting correctly.

I just got my bike a few weeks ago and need to get the horn working as well as turn signals but am not real smart on wiring or even which wires go to where, the bike didn't have a horn or turn signals when I got it but they are now sitting in my garage. Anyway, thanks again for sharing your adventure :likey

05 Jun 2018 18:31
relic
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
Topic Author
DT400C refresh #65

AirborneSilva wrote: Just read through the whole thread, great write-up I learned a bit like I was not aware that you could sleeve our barrels. I have my DT400 barrel at the machine shop having it bored out and they have to go to 87mm and I had to special order a wiseco piston which takes three weeks for them to make it. Since I knew that 87mm was max I just bought another barrel to have as a spare (it's currently at 85.5mm), I guess I could have saved the money if I can have it sleeved. Also heard about the dreaded throttle cable not fitting correctly.

I just got my bike a few weeks ago and need to get the horn working as well as turn signals but am not real smart on wiring or even which wires go to where, the bike didn't have a horn or turn signals when I got it but they are now sitting in my garage. Anyway, thanks again for sharing your adventure :likey

Thanks for your comments. I'm glad that you got something out of my ramblings. I knew that 2 stroke cylinders could be sleeved but I was pleasantly surprised that the machine shop we were using could do it and that it was an affordable option.
Good luck with your project, I'm sure you'll have no trouble with the horn and signals once you get into it. You'll need the left side handle bar switch of course with the signal switch and horn button. And you'll need a 6volt flasher unit. There's lots of help here and you can always view or download the service manual that has a wiring diagram. (the manual is in the "downloads" section of this website).

Ken

PS- my 400 now has over 300 miles on it since the refresh. So far I've tightened the chain and replaced the grips with the Suzuki ones. Otherwise all is working great.

I wonder where this goes...?
Daily riders-1976 DT400C, 1972 Suzuki T250 Hustler, 1971 Hodaka Ace 100B+, 1974 Moto Guzzi Eldorado.

06 Jun 2018 06:12
AirborneSilva
Sportsman
Sportsman
More
DT400C refresh #66
Thank you for the tips, I've had to put my bike on the back burner since I'm getting my house ready to sell, my realtor has me doing lot's of painting and a bit of tile work along with new carpets so my money and time are being held hostage :S

I'm sure it feels great to get some miles on your "refreshed" bike, try to keep the bugs our of your teeth from smiling :)
The following user(s) Liked this Post relic

15 Jan 2020 17:17
yamahahaha
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
DT400C refresh #67
Ken did I not see it or did you post a picture of the grips from Suzuki

Moderators: yamadminDmanEnduronutMakotosunDEETVinnieDevinJames Hart